Best Boots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
After seeing the recent E-bay/boot thread, this made me think of how I would like to get some boots from some of the better shows that are floating around. Well I guess ones that are from decent sources and some from some of the more famous shows etc and DVD recordings would be amazing!!!

But, here is my problem, I only have one boot to start my trading, its the 'Hot Night In Brisbane' popmart show, from 98. So does anyone want to help me out or reccomend some essential boots that I should try and get my hands on?

For me, I also started the same way - the best well known ones are usually the best.
I suggest www.U2setlists.com to have a look at the setlist to help you decide which shows you'll get started on and www.u2-flom.de that has reviews of U2 bootlegs up to the Elevation tour.

(for any earlier concerts, others will have to help out)

From JT, Rock's hottest ticket (29 April) and 7 November - Back in Denver are my faves.

From Lovetown, any of Dublin dates. (though the last concert in Rotterdam is good too) My vote goes to 30 and 31 December in Dublin and Rotterdam - the last Lovetown show.

From Zoo TV, Dancing Zoo TV (the one where Bono talks to a MTV competition winner - 10 June 92') for the earlier part of the tour, Washington DC for the stadium tour in the US - 16 August 92, Zoo Europa for the stadiums in Europe - 28 August 93 and Adelaide 27 November 93 for the final part.
It depends a bit whether you prefer AB songs live or Zooropa songs live. From that tour, I have Wild horses in Milan (22 May 92) and Zoo Europa.

Popmart, Tel Aviv is my pick. I guess Sarajevo is emotional, but Bono's voice is virtually dead on that one.

Those are all excellent quality and best known shows.

For Elevation, harder to say. Some like ALD recordings (the hearing impaired aid device recordings; to me there is no "live" feeling because the crowd is not that obvious, even though the band will sound very good) or IEM (the internal monitors, but the clicking sound bothers me). I prefer good audience shows or soundboard recordings and my favorite concerts are usually determined by what they played too, so...

I think Boston shows are very good in quality - for the first leg, my favorites are San Jose 20 April, Chicago 16 May, Detroit 30 May.
As far as I know, European leg has less good quality in sound, so you may not be interested in those. (except for Slane off DVD)
For the last US leg, obviously Notre Dame webcast is the best in quality, my favorite is 31 October Providence, also New York shows, Chicago shows and the other Providence show are all very good in quality.

But I'm sure others will name their favorites too...

My picks, from those I have:

from Boy Tour: Another Time Another Place, Boston, 03-06-81
October: Riverboat President, New Orleans, 02-11-82
War: BBC Concert, London, 12-06-82 or Red Rocks, Denver, 06-05-83
UF: Welcome to the Unforgettable Fire, Rotterdam, 10-30-84
JT: The Joshua Tree on Fire, S?o Francisco, 04-25-87
Lovetown: New Year?s Eve, Dublin, 12-31-89
ZOO TV: Zoo Europa, Dublin, 08-28-93
Popmart: S?o Paulo, 01-31-98 (okay, call me biased, but it is an awesome concert, really)
Elevation: Boston night 4, 06-09-01

Good luck :)

Cheers
MT

also for dvd boots i would go with:

Boy Tour
11/04/1981 Berlin - Metropol

War Tour
05/30/1983 Devore - Glen Helen Regional P - this is a truly amazing video great pro shot w/ bono doing his infamus climbing to the top of the staging , lets just say he is up there really high, and the crowd is the largest they perform to do date, hundreds of thousands, this is the US Festival in California.

08/16/1992 Washington - Robert F. Kennedy Stadium. - great proshot from the begining of the outside broadcast leg of the zoo tv tour. great great show.

11/16/1993 Adelaine - Football Park
another great show. one of the last zoo tv shows. this has to be one of the best macphisto bits. great great show.
great pro shopt

10/10/2001 South Bend - Univ. Of Notre-Dame - amazing, emotional, words just cant describe this show. the first show of the 3rd and final elevation tour. the first show since 9/11. almost a month after the attacks. one very emotional high point came at the end of walk on when bono brings out several firemen and policemen who were at the attacks. great video quality, proshot. it also doesnt hurt that i was there.

i would go to the sites suggested if i were you and also try this one.
www.u2liveinconcert.com

oh also get the rattle and hum outtake videos. this is footage filmed for the movie that wasnt used. i could tell you all that is in them but i would be writting forever. so at the site i mentioned above he talks about them.

good luck.

Here's a few places you can grab some to get started.

http://www.u2download.fr.st/
Not all the links will work but some of them do. :)

http://babyface.57host.biz/phpBB2/index.php
You will need to sign up for the forum, then hit the concert of the week thread. There are several available right now.

There's some great stuff available via Bit Torrent, including DVDs. It's definitely worth learning to use BT. :)
http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55854

http://eyeofthefly.net/forum/index.php
Again, register for the forum and hit the concert thread.

Hope this helps, these are mostly mp3 shows so I wasn't sure if you'd want them :slant:

Last edited:
RickFly said:
also for dvd boots i would go with:

10/10/2001 South Bend - Univ. Of Notre-Dame - amazing, emotional, words just cant describe this show. the first show of the 3rd and final elevation tour. the first show since 9/11. almost a month after the attacks. one very emotional high point came at the end of walk on when bono brings out several firemen and policemen who were at the attacks. great video quality, proshot. it also doesnt hurt that i was there.

Oh wow, I was just listening to that. heh. I gotta get my hands on the video, I love this show. I'm jealous that you were there! :ohmy: :)

Really, it depends on what you are looking to do. Are you looking to get heavy into trading or do you just want a few boots to listen to?

If you are looking to get into trading I wouldnt recommend going after the standard boots that are mentioned above or what I mention below. Most traders have those. B and P for some shows you dont see all over the place. You are more likely to find people to trade for those versus a copy of Chicago 87 Rocks Hottest Ticket boot, most traders have that.

If you are looking just for a few good boots then some of the suggestions above are good ones. Go for the setlist that looks good AND quality. Lets face it, if a recording is awful and you are not a completist its useless to get it as you will never listen to it. My suggestions quality wise are:

BOY

3-6-81 Boston FM recording, great show

October

11-13-81 Albany FM recording, good crowd and energy

WAR (take your pick here)

5-5-83 Boston soundboard perfect recording
5-30-83 Devore (US Festival) FM recording (my personal fav)
6-5-83 Red Rocks FM recording complete (for obvious reasons)

The Unforgettable Fire

10-23-84 Nantes soundboard, the only complete board of this tour circulating.
11-21-84 Dortmund FM broadcast, incomplete though
2-5-85 Bologna Great audience recording, crowd and show
3-21-85 Chicago Great audience recording

The Joshua Tree

4-29-87 Chicago Great audience recording, most people have this one
5-8-87 Hartford Very good audience recording, fantastic setlist, one of my favorites from the JT tour.
11-7-87 Denver Soundboard(video feed), get the Back In Denver boot of this one, its the best version.

Lovetown (one of my favorite tours)

11-18-89 Sydney Very good audience recording, rated as one of U2's best shows of any tour.
12-26,27, 30, 31-89 Dublin, as mentioned before, all are soundboards except 12-31 which is an FM broadcast. Everyone votes for 12-31 (New Years show) but I prefer 12-30, better setlist and from some friends that went to all 4 shows, they said this one was the best.

Zoo TV

4-21-92 Tacoma Excellent audience recording and show
6-11-92 Stockholm (as mentioned above) there is an audience and video feed version of this. I actually think the audience version is a tad better.
11-14-92 Houston Excellent audience recording
8-12-93 London Excellent audience recording (some good setlist changes, IE Zooropa and Babyface)
8-21-93 London Excellent audience
8-30-93 Dublin FM broadcast, most people have this one.
11-16-93 Adelaide Soundboard(video feed) more raw than Sydney, like this one a little better actually, more laid back.
11-27-93 Sydney FM broadcast (Get the Westwood One version, its the best and its all in stereo versus some other versions)

Popmart

12-3-97 Mexico City FM broadcast Most have this one
1-31-98 Sao Paolo FM broadcast, Edge indicated he thought this was the best shows of the tour.
2-11-98 Santiago FM broadcast, great show, great crowd.

Elevation

5-15-01 Chicago ALD, this recording is great IMO. Great show show and setlist.
5-16-01 Chicago just for the setlist
(I may be a bit bias though on Chicago as I was at those)
6-9-01 Boston great setlist
7-21-01 Turin longest show and setlist of the tour
10-10-01 South Bend (direct satellite feed) fantastic quality, good show (get this one over the webcast versions, its way better)
(See Chicago above, I was at this one also, so I may be bias, LOL)
10-31-01 Providence decent audience recording, great setlist, Larry's birthday obviously.

Anyway, sorry that is so long and I hope that helps. After all, according to Ulysess U2 fans arent generous and dont help out, do they. This thread is a prime example of that!! LOL ;)

Last edited:
I don't suppose I can really add more to what has just been said, especially not after Blue Room's excellent post, though of course I have my own personal recommendations of great gigs to go for. However, if you'd like to organise a trade, then we can definitely do that. If you send me some discs, I'd be more than happy to burn some of my shows for you. Drop me a line at amak_axver@hotmail.com if you want to work something out.

What's the difference between the satellite feed and webcast of the South Bend show? How can I tell which one I have?

salty72 said:
What's the difference between the satellite feed and webcast of the South Bend show? How can I tell which one I have?

Listen to the softer sections of the show and quiet sections between songs. If you hear a slight computer bubbling noise in the background you have the webcast feed (which is also excellent, dont get me wrong, plus you get the pre show music on the webcast). If its completely clean, no hiss, no bubbling then you have the 1st gen. off the satellite feed. There is a 2nd or 3rd gen off the satellite feed floating around also, but it has hiss throughout.

Back
Top Bottom