Best Bono Speech/Rant during song?l,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
"well the God I believe in isn't short of cash mister"

that's the one that still makes me cringe fifteen years later.
i like fuck the revolution much better.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
i would have loved to have seen the JT tour. :sigh:

ha. and i would have loved to have seen some other tour.
i saw three shows on the josh tour, and then never saw them again.

oh, and that line makes me cringe because it's cheezy.

<<the first from Rattle & Hum Movie, and the other from
Slane Castle 1-9-01, the uncut version (audience recording)>>

Oh, you mean where he named all the names of the people who were killed on Bloody Sunday or in the Omagh bombing or whatever? Yeah that was awesome. It was so passionate.

<<from the north side, to the south side
you can kiss my backside, look on the bright side, we're all on the same side!
- bono, dublin 1997-08-31>>

OMG lol I have never heard that before. That's awesome.

SBS from UABLS: This song is not a rebel song,this song is Sunday Bloody Sunday..

Off with the horns..
Onwith the SHow..

~MacPhisto~

DaveC said:
My fave is London ZooTV, August 12, 1992 ( I think that's the right date) during BTBS:

"Outside it's Americaaaaa!
AMERICAAAAA, Where the fuck are you?
United Kingdom...Fuck you!
Fuck you Germany!
Fuck you France!
Zoonited Nations!
Zoonited Nations!
Zoonited Nations!!!

And we run...into the arms...of America..."

This was right after one of the Sarajevo uplinks where there were 2 girls, and they blasted the West over their lack of involvement in Bosnia. You could tell Bono was upset afterwards, and the sang Bad/The First Time, and then during BTBS, I guess it sorta boiled over.

Wow! I was just about to mention this. Yes I agree ... you have not heard a rant til you've heard this one! It's one of my favourite shows ... the Sarajevo link up is phenomenal, amazing show all round.

On 09/23/1997 that is one of my favourite versions of Where the Streets ... it's not really a rant but at the end he just says "Sarajevo ... Sarajevo ...Sarajevo!" -- it's awesome.

I?m surprised nobody mentined Silver and Gold, R & H version. I like it a lot. Am I buggin you...didn?t mean to bug ya.

You never bug me Bono. :)

If you are going to include speeches - I think the speech he gave at teh Harvard Commencement (it still shocks me that he was the speaker) was the best speech he has ever given.

A very close second was the speech he gave to induct Bob Marley into the Rock Hall of Fame.

The two speeches are pretty well documented and out there - I am just too tired to find them...

I definitely like that Harvard address. Haven't read the Bob Marley induction speech yet...I'll look around for it.

follower said:
I?m surprised nobody mentined Silver and Gold, R & H version. I like it a lot. Am I buggin you...didn?t mean to bug ya.

:yes: :up:.

Originally posted by follower
You never bug me Bono. :)

Exactly.

Keep talking, Bono, I like hearing what you have to say.

That Sarajevo one sounds really cool, too. Wish I could've heard that.

Angela

Has Bono quietened down over the years, in terms of his rants during songs? Always had the impression that at every concert he would rant about something, especially during JT era.

Nowadays, maybe he's mellowed somewhat, or his rants have become more controlled and speech-like, and not so much spur of the moment.

Anyone else notice this?

bonosgirl84 said:
one thing that always flips me out is when bono, in rattle and hum says, "ok edge, play the blues..." and as he walks away throws the mic down behind him.

i mean, it really, really flips me out...in a good way. a really good way.

I have to agree with that one too bonosgirl! :up:

Its like, hes just opened the door for Edge and put the spotlight on him.....or something.

and yea I get shivers down my spine at that moment Edge starts.

Also for me, I dunno why, but I really like that small converstion about B-man while Edge strums the intro to Still Havent - Popmart in Mexico
Dunno, theres just something calming about that whole moment.

:)

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

What all does he say in that one?

Angela

The things he said were not that important, it was the way he said it.
I hope you know what I mean.

He just said things like: Michael was a great musician and a good person.
After that speech they played an amazing version of "One".
Bono was crying the whole time. :sad:
They released this concert on video, you should buy it.

Last edited:
Here are some little tidbits from the 09/23/1997 show, I find all of em add to the show ...

before Real Thing: "Viva Sarajevo! Fuck the past ... and kiss the future. Viva Sarajevo! Viva Sarajevo"

before I Still Havent Found: "our voice is gone ... but your voices are strong. I ask you to carry me like you carried each other...in those weeks, months, and years [refering to the war] and sing with me this song ..."

during One "to be united is a great thing ... but to be tolerant is even a better thing... so for the city of the future: Sarajevo! For the city of the future: Sarajevo!"

He says a lot of things during the show in Serb-Croatian but I'm not even gonna begin to try and understand that.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Sydney ZooTV Macphisto rant ("good bye all you neo-nazi's, I hope they give you Auschwitz")

A Maaaaaaan said:
The things he said were not that important, it was the way he said it.
I hope you know what I mean.

Yeah.

Originally posted by A Maaaaaaan
He just said things like: Michael was a great musician and a good person.
After that speech they played an amazing version of "One".
Bono was crying the whole time. :sad:
They released this concert on video, you should buy it.

Wow, sounds like quite a moment. I'll see if I can find it.

Poor Bono...:( :hug:.

Originally posted by mcranston
"good bye all you neo-nazi's, I hope they give you Auschwitz"

Wow.

:up:.

Angela

mcranston said:
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Sydney ZooTV Macphisto rant ("good bye all you neo-nazi's, I hope they give you Auschwitz")

Haha, I was just searching for something completely unrelated to this thread hence the bumping, but that speech was really quite something. I don't know if you can pick it up well on the video (its been a long while since I watched it) but while the audience laughed and cheered we were kinda shocked at that. Amongst the cheering there was a deep "ooooh" and people looking around nervously.
But a'course he pulled it off :D

Great moment indeed!

Party Boy said:
Has Bono quietened down over the years, in terms of his rants during songs? Always had the impression that at every concert he would rant about something, especially during JT era.

Nowadays, maybe he's mellowed somewhat, or his rants have become more controlled and speech-like, and not so much spur of the moment.

Anyone else notice this?

Not in boston 6/8/01, that's for sure. He went off on quite a rant about some gov't bigwig who said Africans can't tell time, so regimented AIDS drugs would be useless. Bono was very agitated and asked everyone to send the bigwig watches to send to Africa. Somebody out there must have the text of the rant... (here's a link to someone's bboard post about it)

I love his rant during "Pride" on the "Rock's Hottest Ticket" bootleg(s) from Chicago in 1987.

He starts into it and kind of doesn't know where he's going - definitely just an aimless rant about how cool the Chicago crowds were during the Conspiracy of Hope tour.

He basically says nothing and is totally searching for words. It's really funny.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Back
Top Bottom