Best Bono falsetto bit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COBL_04 said:

:|

Appreciate it Neutral! Now that I know what it is, I'll have to listen more, because I can't give an answer at the moment I haven't really listened for falsettos. I do like Edge's very much though, at the end of Stuck. :reject:

Edge's falseto is always great. I much prefer it to Bono's :love:

LuvandPeace1980 said:
Just thought I would share mine and like to ask.
Whats everyones best Bono falsetto bit in an album/studio song?

Mine would have to be in If God Will Send His Angels right after 'And I don't have to know how.. and I don't need to know why.. And I don't want to promise because I don't want to lie.. Just know that I need you tonight... *insert falseto here*

:up::yes::drool:

that qualifies as Sonic Orgasm on the 'Song Quality Indicator'

All those mentioned are great. How about this overlooked gem.

Dirty Day.

'I could be blind, its not the way it used to be. You can't even remember what I'm tryin to forget'

edited to say: Parts of Mysterious Ways during ZooTV Sydney were unbelievable.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

But that's not falsetto ... that's Bono singing in his normal range, and sounding real angry about it.

But it's pretty cool, all the same. :wink:

There is a falsetto near the end of Night and Day.
You're thinking of the actual last bit, this is before it.

I think the way Bono sings Lemon is just greatness. Falsettos can be painful to listen to and it's usually only a segement of a verse, or a couple of lines, he sings Lemon in falsetto thruout most of the verses and then hits the "uhhhhh-ohhhhhhhh, dance with me" as Edge sings "midnight...." Unbeatable.

I always like the Dirty Day outtro on live from Sydney, "loveeee, it won't last kissing time". In addition to the others mentioned, of course. I can't think of anything new to add off hand.

There's a lovely bit of it in Halleluiah here she comes, towards the end. Chorus in Stay, a part of Tryin' to throw your arms around the world. Right at the end of Wanderer - classic Bono. Playboy mansion - beautiful ending.

Most recently, love the Sometimes chorus and the "re--ee--each me" in Beautiful day and In a little while and Edge's finish of Stuck.

Last edited:
I've always loved the little falsetto notes he hits at the end of With Or Without You. It's a shame he can't really pull that off anymore. The song is just so perfect with that ending. And of course some Shine Like Stars, but that's another thread.

Heartland is :drool: WOW how does he pull that off. Alot of the falsettos I like are short and kinda just filler for the song. Like the little "oooo-hoooo-hoooo" in Miss Sjevo or the falsetto he hits in The First Time. And I really love the last few "Pleeeeeease"s (In Please, duh) during the PopMart tour before they would go into Streets. :drool:

to hell with all:

ULTRAVIOLET (LIGHT MY WAY).. and specially live... :drool:, just :drool:... you can just picture MacPhisto like bending a little and like covering his face, yet moving the hand like feeling the falsetto :combust:

and yeah... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that Bono now sings the Beautiful Day falsetto.. not like in Elevation tour :madspit: (the only thing that annoys me is that is supose to be just 1, not 2 :angry: )

corianderstem said:

But that's not falsetto ... that's Bono singing in his normal range, and sounding real angry about it.

But it's pretty cool, all the same. :wink:

listen to the whole song, there is a falsetto in there.

its just the classic "haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" bono falsetto that defines the whole achtung/zootv era...

U2DMfan said:
There is a falsetto near the end of Night and Day.
You're thinking of the actual last bit, this is before it.

Ohhh, that's right. As soon as I read that, it popped right into my head.

Ah, Bono falsetto. 'Tis a good thing.

Does redhill mining town qualify as one:confused:

If not, then the fly or lemon

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:

Edge's falseto is always great. I much prefer it to Bono's :love:

I agree, but Bono cant really do it any more. When Bonos voice was in it prime, i.e Zoo TV, his falsetto was better than anyone. I.M.O Mysterious ways on the sydney gig is the best example of Bonos falseto!

Interesting thread. I remember in the Making of the JT DVD (Classic Albums DVD), there is a little discussion about Bono's falsetto. Lanois stated that he felt that Bono has only recently mastered the falsetto (around the Pop album/tour) and that everything you hear off the JT is actually the full range of his natural voice. I believe Bono didn't learn to use a falsetto until the AB-Zooropa days. What sticks out in my mind is Satellite of Love (b-side to One). This is Bono with help from Gavin Friday (a great falsetto voice too!). Everything before this is Bono singing within his normal vocal range without applying the technique of the falsetto. Even Heartland. I am not a vocal expert by any means, but I am aware that just because one can sing in a high pitch does not automatically mean that it must be a falsetto.

NamelessStreets said:

I agree, but Bono cant really do it any more. When Bonos voice was in it prime, i.e Zoo TV, his falsetto was better than anyone. I.M.O Mysterious ways on the sydney gig is the best example of Bonos falseto!

Yes, live, I don't think Bono can reach that kind of greatness, but that is made up by improved vocals of the Edge. He is a greater singer now that he ever was before. Either that or he just never got this kind of exposure to sing live before.

However, in the studio, Bono's falsetto sounds as beautiful as ever. Electrical Storm has some sweet falsetto parts. The magic of the studio I guess.

Ooh, I just thought of one of my favorite Bono falsetto bits.

On the Zoo Europa (8/28/93 Dublin) bootleg, during Bad, the first time he sings "I'm wide awake," his voice shifts into the falsetto on "wide," and it's the most beautiful and perfect note I've ever heard him sing.

I've been known to rewind and listen to that part multiple times in a row. I've been known to be a bit obsessive. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Ooh, I just thought of one of my favorite Bono falsetto bits.

On the Zoo Europa (8/28/93 Dublin) bootleg, during Bad, the first time he sings "I'm wide awake," his voice shifts into the falsetto on "wide," and it's the most beautiful and perfect note I've ever heard him sing.

I've been known to rewind and listen to that part multiple times in a row. I've been known to be a bit obsessive. :wink:

BLAST! You beat me to it! :wink:

Seriously, this is the best falsetto ever. :|

Back
Top Bottom