Best albums according to each member of the band.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
:bono: Bono (best vocals): Joshua Tree

:edge: Edge (best guitar): tough one here......I'l have to go with Achtung Baby.

:larry: Larry (best drums): War

:adam: Adam (best bass): How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Bono: Achtung baby
Edge: Achtung baby
Larry: Achtung baby
Adam: Pop

Bono - Joshua Tree was when his voice was at it's strongest, but strength doesn't make a great vocal. His best vocals are on One. That perfect 'scratchy' pleading in parts, then the crystal clear defiance in others. Perfectly displays every different emotion running through that song. One second he's leaning on you, the next he's demanding answers.
Edge - Achtung Baby. Listen to the range across each song. For him, that's his sonic masterpiece.
Larry - Achtung Baby (again). The beat is the engine of those songs.
Adam - Either Pop or HTDAAB. He was the weak link for a long time there, but he's getting better and better and better with each album.

BONO – for vocals? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Rattle and Hum AND Achtung, Baby. Rattle & Hum has an extraordinary range. To go from the sweetness of ‘All I Want Is You’ to the grittiness of ‘God Part II’ to the sheer anguish of love on ‘Hawkmoon 269’, it was the last that his voice would ever sound like that. On Achtung, Baby, his voice had a character to it that had been lacking for years. ‘One’, ‘Love Is Blindness’ and ‘Acrobat’ are showcases.

For Writing? Joshua Tree, where he honed his ability to make lyrics into poetry and to make them cohesive for the average listener. Achtung, Baby for mixing the every day grit with the glam. He did it beautifully over Zooropa and Pop and has held it back for a more simpler route on the last two albums.

(THE) EDGE – Achtung, Baby. Achtung, Baby. Achtung, Baby. He dove head first into dark waters and liked what he found. His guitar has never been the same since and he elevated (no pun intended) his guitar playing to an entirely new and different level.

LARRY – War is the obvious choice for his banging of the tom toms. But I have to go with Joshua Tree and Pop on this one. Joshua Tree he developed a style he started on Unforgettable Fire and really made it his own. His use of the snare drum with the snare turned off was a sound that has sprung up more and more since then. Pop…well…listen to Mofo. It’s a double track of him playing. Impressive. ‘Nuff said.

ADAM – Pop. This man kicked it in to high gear and added some grooves and soul into his playing. Instead of just keeping 4/4 time, he slid his fingers up and down the fret, played on the up beats and became the Jazz Man. Sparky hadn’t left the planet. He was jus tin a jazz club on Bleecker Street.

Adam really is outstanding on HTDAAB. He is the best bass player ever.
I love Adam's bass in Grace off of ATYCLB, and Some Days are Better than Others off Zooropa.

Halifax said:
:bono: Bono (best vocals): Joshua Tree

:edge: Edge (best guitar): tough one here......I'l have to go with Achtung Baby.

:adam: Adam (best bass): How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

I'd agree, though Pop had some great work by Adam. Adam said City began as an outtake from Pop sessions, but after I heard it, the bass especially, I'm not surprised. Strong bass.

Like a song, Larry's on fire!

Bono - vocals/song writing - the Unforgettable Fire
the Edge - guitar - Achtung Baby!
Adam - the Joshua Tree
Larry - the Unforgettable Fire

Bono - Unforgettable Fire
Edge - The Joshua Tree
Adam - Pop
Larry - The Joshua Tree

what's so good about the bass on HTDAAB?????? I can only think of simplicity? The bass isn't there to really be fancy most of the time. The most interesting bass lines are probably on war or UF.
But apart from that I think the best vocal is either Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. Guitar is HTDAAB and drums are probably POP

yimou said:

:lmao: :up:

Mine is probably...

Bono: Achtung Baby
Edge: Achtung Baby/Pop
Larry: War

... I think... not too sure.

yimou said:

Absolutely spot on! Although I would argue that Adams finest moment was also Achtung Baby. The rhythm on that album is absolutely amazing.........AMAZING!

OK - I will agree with some...

Bono - Zooropa (Dirty Day and Lemon - amazing!!)
Edge - Achtung Baby
Adam - Pop
Larry - Zooropa or The Joshua Tree

After giving this some extra thought, here are my favs (version 2):

:bono: Bono
(best vocals): Joshua Tree
(best lyrics): Unforgettable Fire

:edge: Edge (best guitar): Achtung Baby.

:adam: Adam (best bass): How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb/Pop

Bono: Joshua Tree
Edge: Achtug Baby
Larry: How to Dismantle an atomic bomb
Adam: Zooropa

Back
Top Bottom