Best 20 Songs of the Past 20 Years.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1stepcloser said:
Common People deserves it's place in there. An almost flawless pop song in my opinion.

YEEEESSSS!!!!!!!

Edit: And I just looked at that list and with the exception of Madonna I like all of those songs in one form or another. Even the Britney Spears one, because of Fran Healy.

Last edited:
Justin24 said:

2. "Hey Ya!" OutKast, 2003
10. "7 Nation Army" The White Stripes, 2003
14. "&Baby One More Time" Britney Spears, 1999
16. "Like A Prayer" Madonna, 1989
17. "Firestarter" The Prodigy, 1997
18. "Brimful of Asha" Cornershop, 1997
19. "Stan" Eminem, 2000
20. "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" Arctic Monkeys, 2006

:laugh: Best songs ever?

Aygo said:
It's pne of her most original songs. Too bad you can't appreciate it. And if you think is crap, you should listen to more pop music.

How dare you presume to guess what i listen too.
I bet you any amount of money that i own mote "pop" cds than you do.
here are at a few songs by madonna alone that are better than like a prayer

1. Borderline
2 like a virgin
3 Beautiful Stranger
4 Frozen
5 Ray of light
6 Hung Up
7 Into The Groove
8 Crazy for you
9 La isla Bonita
10 Express yourself
11 Justify My Love
12 Open your heart
13 Live To tell
14 Holiday
15 Deeper and deeper
16 Erotica
17 Frozen
18 Music
19 Human Behaviour
20 Music

So there you go, 20 songs better than like a prayer,
how dare you say that i dont like pop music, you dont know anything about me. I dont dare say the same about you, only judging by a few of your posts that it seems that you think that the last decade has brought the best of U2's music. I think that this says everything about your taste.

19 Absolutely anything apart from like a prayer

or if that doesnt count..........
19 Drowned worls
20 Rescue me

An Cat Gav said:

How dare you presume to guess what i listen too.
I bet you any amount of money that i own mote "pop" cds than you do.
here are at a few songs by madonna alone that are better than like a prayer

1. Borderline
2 like a virgin
3 Beautiful Stranger
4 Frozen
5 Ray of light
6 Hung Up
7 Into The Groove
8 Crazy for you
9 La isla Bonita
10 Express yourself
11 Justify My Love
12 Open your heart
13 Live To tell
14 Holiday
15 Deeper and deeper
16 Erotica
17 Frozen
18 Music
19 Human Behaviour
20 Music

So there you go, 20 songs better than like a prayer,
how dare you say that i dont like pop music, you dont know anything about me. I dont dare say the same about you, only judging by a few of your posts that it seems that you think that the last decade has brought the best of U2's music. I think that this says everything about your taste.

Borderline, Into The Groove, Crazy For You, Holiday, and Like A Virgin were not written by her. As almost her early catalogue, these lyrics are very poor, and the songs too comparing to 50% of her catalogue. Sure these songs became classics, but how good are they? Holiday, Into The Groove and Like A Virgin can be worthy just because of live performances, mainly Holiday that always works as a closer.
Music? Sure it has an imaginative electronic instrumental, but is it great as Like A Prayer?
And La Isla Bonita? Is it better because of the latino feeling?
Hung Up... sure it has one of her best instrumentals (and that sample works great!), but are the lyrics great? They work, but they're useless comparing to other songs...
Deeper And Deeper is almost like Vogue with different note progression and with lyrics about dealing with homossexuality (that's why the song got out of the top just when people and the critics found what the song was about).

The only songs on your list that I could claim as great as Like A Prayer are Ray Of Light, Frozen (which lyrics are not as great as the LAP ones), Express Yourself, Erotics and Justify My Love (because for their originality) and definitely Live To Tell - one of her best songs ever!
I'd add Oh Father, Swim, Nobody Knows Me, Easy Ride, Gone...

Like A Prayer represented Madonna's first effort of her maturity in songwritting. The lyrics are genial for a singer that had wrote Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart and Love Makes The World Go Round very recently, and not only they can deal with sex and religion, but (like some U2 songs) they can be applied to other scenes. The instrumental is one of her strongest and the song os perfect as the album opener, mixing power pop, with rock and gospel choir and church organs. Can you name other songs that in 1989 were as original like this one after what I described? Don't forget that this came from a singer that at that time was seen as a whore with a bad voice that earned money with pop songs, controversies and undressing herself.

PS: there is no Human Behaviour (that's a Bjork's song), but Human Nature.

Earnie Shavers said:

The single biggest British pop artist of the last decade? In a Top 20 pop list?

Westlife are the biggest selling international group in the UK, would you put one of their songs int the top 20?

Aygo said:

Borderline, Into The Groove, Crazy For You, Holiday, and Like A Virgin were not written by her. As almost her early catalogue, these lyrics are very poor, and the songs too comparing to 50% of her catalogue. Sure these songs became classics, but how good are they? Holiday, Into The Groove and Like A Virgin can be worthy just because of live performances, mainly Holiday that always works as a closer.
Music? Sure it has an imaginative electronic instrumental, but is it great as Like A Prayer?
And La Isla Bonita? Is it better because of the latino feeling?
Hung Up... sure it has one of her best instrumentals (and that sample works great!), but are the lyrics great? They work, but they're useless comparing to other songs...
Deeper And Deeper is almost like Vogue with different note progression and with lyrics about dealing with homossexuality (that's why the song got out of the top just when people and the critics found what the song was about).

The only songs on your list that I could claim as great as Like A Prayer are Ray Of Light, Frozen (which lyrics are not as great as the LAP ones), Express Yourself, Erotics and Justify My Love (because for their originality) and definitely Live To Tell - one of her best songs ever!
I'd add Oh Father, Swim, Nobody Knows Me, Easy Ride, Gone...

Like A Prayer represented Madonna's first effort of her maturity in songwritting. The lyrics are genial for a singer that had wrote Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart and Love Makes The World Go Round very recently, and not only they can deal with sex and religion, but (like some U2 songs) they can be applied to other scenes. The instrumental is one of her strongest and the song os perfect as the album opener, mixing power pop, with rock and gospel choir and church organs. Can you name other songs that in 1989 were as original like this one after what I described? Don't forget that this came from a singer that at that time was seen as a whore with a bad voice that earned money with pop songs, controversies and undressing herself.

PS: there is no Human Behaviour (that's a Bjork's song), but Human Nature.

Human behaviour, human nature. You say tomayto I say tomato.
I guess pointing out mistakes like that make you feel big and intellegent.
I guess something has to. Congratulations.:yawn:

An Cat Gav said:

Human behaviour, human nature. You say tomayto I say tomato.
I guess pointing out mistakes like that make you feel big and intellegent.
I guess something has to. Congratulations.:yawn:
You must be very important and... but only for yourself.
I pointed the Human Nature error for you just to know the correct title, not to throw you down!
I was having a argumentation speech, there was no need of that answer.

1. With or Without You
2. Where The Streets Have No Name.
3. I'll Be You - The Replacements
4. Beautiful Day
5. Why Should I Cry For You - Sting
6. She Talks To Angels - Black Crowes
7. The Unforgiven - Metallica
8. Sweet Child Of Mine - GNR
9. Alive - Pearl Jam
10. Everlong - Foo Fighters
11. Yellow - Coldplay
12. In My Place - Coldplay
13. One
14. One Step Up - Bruce Springsteen
15. Bullet With Butterfly Wings - The Smashing Pumpkins
16. Mr. Brightside - The Killers
17. Wonderwall - Oasis
18. The Adventure - Angels & Airwaves
19. Blue Sky Mine - Midnight Oil
20. Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode

Honorable Mentions:
Round Here - Counting Crows
Longview - Green Day
Blue - The Jayhawks
Misery - Soul Asylum
It Ain't Over Till It's Over - Lenny Kravitz
Lightning Crashes - Live
Walking In Memphis - Marc Cohn
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man - Prince (Would make the list, but not sure it was a single)
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - REM
Drown - Son Volt
Free Fallin' - Tom Petty
Way Down Now - World Party

smells like teen spirit? no ff...way:angry:
its ridiculous...just because it changed everything as they put it?
Concentrate in the song motherfuckers! ......and what did SLTP changed for Godsake....what? what are they always trying to sell us?
It was just a diferent kind of sound in a time where there was nothing relevant going on really.....we were sick and tired of popmetal and pop was very poor.......of course all of this before A.Baby
the music industry needed a thing like SLTP....but kobain had to die to gloryfie it the way it has been the last 12 years
there are better songs than this one, and certainly 'one' is one of them

this list is worthless, no one should have any respect for it... please disregard it... Why would you make such a uncredible peice of garbage!

People get way too worked up about the multitude of lists that magazines/radio/TV/Osama bin Laden put out.

Yes, they get talked about, and yes they get debated, but anyone who thinks any of these lists have any sort of weight or relevance to them has a screw loose.

Don't like it? Scoff once at it and move on. Don't get your grundies in a bundle over something so obviously subjective. No one will ever put out a list that everyone will agree with.

I'm really sick of Nirvana-bashing.

Music is so subjective that it's hard to rank, so I figure you might as well factor in the historic significance of a song if you are going to bother making a list like this.

Back
Top Bottom