Ben Stiller's "nasty" Bono impression???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nancy

The Fly
Hey, has anyone see Ben Stiller do his Bono impression? I saw one skit where he was imitating Bono doing a "we are the world" type song, and it was soooo hysterical! I have seen very short clips of Stiller doing long-haired Joshua Tree Bono, but I have never seen the whole thing! Plus, I am reading Bill Flanagan's "U2 at the end of the world", and I just read the part when Bono tells the Edge "Tell him to stop making fun of me, Edge!" regarding Ben Stiller
smile.gif

------------------
boom cha, boom cha.................discotheque!

ben stiller's impression is so hilarious. my very favorite skit is 'my u2 dads' modeled after the 80s show 'my 2 dads.' anyone remember that?

------------------

It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

He's an asswipe, I don't care what he thinks.

------------------
"Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage."

I'm so glad someone brought this up...

Last night I was awoken by a hailstorm at about five a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. So in my sleepy stupor, I came upon a brilliant theory, myself also having just read the part in the Flanagan book about Ben Stiller making fun of Bono.

I thought, maybe Stiller's new movie, Zoolander, is an indirect jab at Bono. A famous entertainer who is a total idiot tries to be a humanitarian and save the world...not to mention the "Zoo" reference. Only tonight did my husband point out to me that Stiller's character isn't a singer, he's a model. So that blew my theory that the movie was a well-disguised spoof of Bono, but let me tell ya, at 5 am, I thought I was a real genius making these connections!
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, just wanted to share my incorrect theory with everyone.

Sorry to edit, but I just wanted to clarify, I don't think Bono is a "total idiot." But maybe that could be part of the spoof in my grand theory. I wonder if Stiller really dislikes Bono (aka Rollins style) or if he just thinks Bono is an easy target for his comedy. hmmm...

[This message has been edited by HeartlandGirl (edited 09-20-2001).]

Does anyone remember the skit he did about U2 playing the Bar Mitzvah??
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(For all the Jewish interferencers, please pardon my spelling, if its wrong...)

------------------
"I'm already gone... Felt that way all along..."

I think its safe to say that, at the very least, Stiller is a fan. Probably a rather big fan.

Evidence?

Ben Stiller was the driving force behind "Reality Bites." He starred and directed. In "Reality Bites" they not only use "All I Want Is You" near the end of the film, but (if I remember correctly) they play damn near the whole song.

No, I don't think he dislikes Bono. I would guess the contrary is true. But Bono is an easy target. I don't believe any harm is meant.

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:

So that blew my theory that the movie was a well-disguised spoof of Bono:

Oh dear!
rolleyes.gif

Anywho, I thought the whole skit by Ben Stiller was hilarious! Its all in good fun!
wink.gif

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by SweetOnU2:
Oh dear!
rolleyes.gif

Anywho, I thought the whole skit by Ben Stiller was hilarious! Its all in good fun!
wink.gif

Hey, I said it was five in the morning, dammit!

Now this is bugging me. There was another stand up comedian who used to do a great Bono impression and I cant for the life of me think who it is. Who is he?

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

Now this is bugging me. There was another stand up comedian who used to do a great Bono impression and I cant for the life of me think who it is. Who is he?

I am not sure, but I think Bobcat Goldwaithe (sp?) use to impersoante him as well. I have never seen it, but I remember someone saying something to this effect.

Pop_Mofo

Thank you - Thats who it was. I havnt seen it for a while but it used to come up sometimes on The Comedy Channel.

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

pvanort, I do remember the Bar Mitzvah skit. Hilarious. I loved the Ben Stiller show. I haven't seen it since '92 or whenever it was that it went off the air. I would kill to get my hands on a tape of some of that stuff. Anybody remember the "video diary" he used to do on his show? That guy's amazing!

You have not lived, honestly here, not lived until you've seen Bobcat Goldwaite do his impression of Bono in the With or Without You video. Hearing THAT voice sing that song...I almost wet myself the first time I saw it.
The Ben Stiller Lucky Charms performance was a gruesomely effective parody.
Oh, and Jimmy Fallon does a pretty decent Bono as well.

MP

p.s.-Bobcat and Jimmy Fallon are huge U2 fans by the way so no flames.

Oh Jimmy Fallon did that Beautiful Day parody. Awww....Jimmy is so cute and dreamy! [sorry for my 14-year-old behavior]

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Back
Top Bottom