Believe The Hype!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Freedman

War Child
I had to balance the "Don't Believe The Hype" thread.

Because this is U2's best album, and my favorite album, and I have been a HUGE fan for about 17 years, and a huge music fan since the mid-70's.

Frankly, I'm astonished how great this album is.

If you want, you can come here and gush about it. Feel comfortable doing it here, despite the naysayers.

Treat this as the gush thread. Don't be embarrassed if you think this album is gorgeous, and you feel like letting it out.

Best. Album. Ever.

Vertigo and ABOY ROCK. We'll probably see that they have depth once we look closer, but right now, they are simply fantastic rockers you can play some wild air guitar to. ABOY is the perfect song for a 25-year-old band making its first album, "I'm alive, I'm being born/I just arrived, I'm at the door/Of the place I started out from/And I want back inside."

LAPOE is mindblowing. It rocks like HMTMKMKM, it's distorted like Zooropa, and it's the best political rocker since Bullet The Blue Sky. It's got everything I like in a song, and I just can't help but leap around my room to this one. Another brilliant air guitar song! I'm also loving the "uh-huh, uh-huh" parts.

Crumbs From Your Table! What an absolute gem! It initially didn't strike me at first, but on about the third or fourth playing, it reeled me in and it's now one of my absolute favourite songs on the album. It has arguably the best lyrics on the album and I love the politics. Heck, I plain love political U2.

SYCMIOYO and OOTS! Now there are two emotionally powerful songs with amazing vocal efforts from Bono. I particularly cannot wait to hear OOTS live. One Step Closer is the perfect song to precede it in the tracklist, and it's such a wonderfully soothing, subtle, atmospheric song that seems to have come straight out of UF. It's the Promenade or Heartland of the album and it's definitely like a good wine. Savour the rich texture and subtly beautiful flavour of this song.

Yahweh! I don't know what to say about this song, though it seems Yahweh has had something to do with how good it is (ha, ha, bad pun). It's uplifting but realistic; passionate and true. One of U2's best album closers - while I love songs such as MOTD, Love Is Blindness, and WUDM, I prefer this one because it is uplifting (though get me in a negative mood and I may change my tune). Right now, I feel the only song that could possibly be considered a better album closer is 40.

A Man And A Woman is probably my least favourite song, and yet I only consider four ATYCLB songs to be better: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, and TGBHF. I can imagine on a slightly cool, refreshing summer day, I'd really enjoy playing this song loud. I enjoy playing it loud now! It has some really neat lyrics and it's just so awesome. It's fun but it has its feet firmly planted on the ground, and it's not a throwaway song like Wild Honey. It's most certainly worth repeating.

And I've saved my two current favourites until last ... MIRACLE DRUG! CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS! These are easily two of the best songs U2 have ever made. Miracle Drug is the best song made since 1987 by anyone. "God I need your help tonight" and then THAT GUITAR! THEN EDGE SINGS! AAAHHH, WHAT A SONG! It's perfection in 3:58! This is the kind of song you could play forever and never tire of hearing. City Of Blinding Lights ... it's as if the epic nature of Streets merged with the anthemic power of Pride and created a work of total brilliance. The music is absolutely beautiful, the chorus gets me on my feet, singing at the ceiling, and it's just ... oh, so wonderful, so brilliant. I cannot wait to hear this song live!

I love How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, I really do. I was expecting a pretty good album; I NEVER expected it to blow me away. I cannot believe these four men in their forties have just topped all their previous work. It's as if they have taken my favourite elements of UF and JT, put them together, and then created this new album that is nothing short of genius. Being able to place ABOY and OSC two songs apart and have neither feel out of place is a mighty fine feat.

Best. Album. Ever.

Fuckin' straight ABOY has depth. It's the most spiritual "rocker" the band has released since "Gloria." There's plenty of holy imagery and lyricism there, but it doesn't beat you over the head with it. It's the Edge's guitar that beats you over the head.

AussieU2fanman said:

Perfection in 3:59. How dare you neglect that other second of brilliance! :wink:

According to my copy, there isn't another second to neglect. See for yourself ...

MDlength.jpg

Well, 3:58 or 3:59, it is musical bliss. There are not any sufficient words to describe how much I love that song or the album as a whole.

I agree Axver. I really do love it. I felt that way after listening to ATYCLB and I still love it. AB took a few listens for me to love it (It's still my favorite) but this record rocks my world right now! :drool:

Axver said:

According to my copy, there isn't another second to neglect. See for yourself ...

MDlength.jpg

Well, 3:58 or 3:59, it is musical bliss. There are not any sufficient words to describe how much I love that song or the album as a whole.

Well according to MY copy it's 3:59!! You wanna fight about it!?:mad: Don't push me man! I'm crazy! :mad: :mad:

AussieU2fanman said:

Well according to MY copy it's 3:59!! You wanna fight about it!?:mad: Don't push me man! I'm crazy! :mad: :mad:

You can try to fight me about it, but I want love and peace, or else I will spike your water with a miracle drug that will make you fall asleep. Fwoohaha!

Axver said:

You can try to fight me about it, but I want love and peace, or else I will spike your water with a miracle drug that will make you fall asleep. Fwoohaha!

You know, it should be a miracle drug that causes vertigo

The best thing about this album is that we are bickering and fighting over whether a song on it has an extra second of brilliance or not!!!

Axver said:
Best. Album. Ever.

Vertigo and ABOY ROCK. We'll probably see that they have depth once we look closer, but right now, they are simply fantastic rockers you can play some wild air guitar to. ABOY is the perfect song for a 25-year-old band making its first album, "I'm alive, I'm being born/I just arrived, I'm at the door/Of the place I started out from/And I want back inside."

LAPOE is mindblowing. It rocks like HMTMKMKM, it's distorted like Zooropa, and it's the best political rocker since Bullet The Blue Sky. It's got everything I like in a song, and I just can't help but leap around my room to this one. Another brilliant air guitar song! I'm also loving the "uh-huh, uh-huh" parts.

Crumbs From Your Table! What an absolute gem! It initially didn't strike me at first, but on about the third or fourth playing, it reeled me in and it's now one of my absolute favourite songs on the album. It has arguably the best lyrics on the album and I love the politics. Heck, I plain love political U2.

SYCMIOYO and OOTS! Now there are two emotionally powerful songs with amazing vocal efforts from Bono. I particularly cannot wait to hear OOTS live. One Step Closer is the perfect song to precede it in the tracklist, and it's such a wonderfully soothing, subtle, atmospheric song that seems to have come straight out of UF. It's the Promenade or Heartland of the album and it's definitely like a good wine. Savour the rich texture and subtly beautiful flavour of this song.

Yahweh! I don't know what to say about this song, though it seems Yahweh has had something to do with how good it is (ha, ha, bad pun). It's uplifting but realistic; passionate and true. One of U2's best album closers - while I love songs such as MOTD, Love Is Blindness, and WUDM, I prefer this one because it is uplifting (though get me in a negative mood and I may change my tune). Right now, I feel the only song that could possibly be considered a better album closer is 40.

A Man And A Woman is probably my least favourite song, and yet I only consider four ATYCLB songs to be better: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, and TGBHF. I can imagine on a slightly cool, refreshing summer day, I'd really enjoy playing this song loud. I enjoy playing it loud now! It has some really neat lyrics and it's just so awesome. It's fun but it has its feet firmly planted on the ground, and it's not a throwaway song like Wild Honey. It's most certainly worth repeating.

And I've saved my two current favourites until last ... MIRACLE DRUG! CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS! These are easily two of the best songs U2 have ever made. Miracle Drug is the best song made since 1987 by anyone. "God I need your help tonight" and then THAT GUITAR! THEN EDGE SINGS! AAAHHH, WHAT A SONG! It's perfection in 3:58! This is the kind of song you could play forever and never tire of hearing. City Of Blinding Lights ... it's as if the epic nature of Streets merged with the anthemic power of Pride and created a work of total brilliance. The music is absolutely beautiful, the chorus gets me on my feet, singing at the ceiling, and it's just ... oh, so wonderful, so brilliant. I cannot wait to hear this song live!

I love How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, I really do. I was expecting a pretty good album; I NEVER expected it to blow me away. I cannot believe these four men in their forties have just topped all their previous work. It's as if they have taken my favourite elements of UF and JT, put them together, and then created this new album that is nothing short of genius. Being able to place ABOY and OSC two songs apart and have neither feel out of place is a mighty fine feat.

Best. Album. Ever.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

The best thing about this album is that it hits you instantly and you fall in love with it immediately. But then it is still a grower in a way, because you fall in love with the tunes even more later on. This album has so many sounds, so many backing vocals, the bass, guitar work, other effects, you really have to sit down and listen to it. After like 30 listens, I'm still discovering things about it. 10/10 :up:

I have to admit...back 6 months ago when I first heard the clip of ABOY, I didn't like it. I hated it actually. I thought the album would not be able to live up to expectations. I am floored by this album.

Last night after I got home from work I listened to it from start to finish in 5.1 Surround sound cranked to 10 on the volume switch. I was standing up jumping up and down by the time I got to COBL. I was acting like a teenager again! I had a smile on my face for 53 minutes and after it was over, it felt like as if I just had the best sex I have ever had in my life!

The production and song structure is absolutely perfect. I can't find a flaw (I can't say the same after I listened to ATYCLB for the first time). Great job U2. You truly have outdone yourselves.

P.S. ABOY is the best song on the Album

not the best album ever but an absolutely amazing effort to stick it up there in the top 30, whoever said best album of new material by anyone over 40 is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZeroDude said:
not the best album ever but an absolutely amazing effort to stick it up there in the top 30, whoever said best album of new material by anyone over 40 is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe it was Michael G.

Right as always. :yes:

Axver said:

MDlength.jpg

winamp.jpg

GibsonGirl said:

:sad: <-- My Winamp

:sad: <-- Me, because multiple versions of my songs are lacking a CRUCIAL SECOND OF BRILLIANCE. How will I ever cope?

Axver said:

:sad: <-- My Winamp

:sad: <-- Me, because multiple versions of my songs are lacking a CRUCIAL SECOND OF BRILLIANCE. How will I ever cope?

*pats Axver's Winamp on the head*

We must have downloaded different versions! It doesn't make much of a difference, however. That extra second on multiple tracks? Nothing but silence.

GibsonGirl said:

*pats Axver's Winamp on the head*

We must have downloaded different versions! It doesn't make much of a difference, however. That extra second on multiple tracks? Nothing but silence.

:( <-- My Winamp. No tears any more, yay!

Mmm, silent second of brilliance ...

Back
Top Bottom