Beautiful Day, Walk On, and Kite!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
Beutifull Day, Walk On and Kite!!!

These are 3 of U2's greatest songs and my books 3 of their best live songs also. The more I listen to them the more I love them and I never get sick of them but do you think they will be ranked in the pantheon of WTSHNN or One, maybe Pride or SBS? What do you think will happen to these gems in the future?

I heard Beautiful Day at least 5 times today on the radio. I think that will always be up there with memorable U2 songs, b/c of the grammy, etc.

Walk On....my favouite most underrates song *sigh* Don't get me started. I'm still pissed that Stuck gets played more often, when Walk on is the better song (IMO ;) )

And Kite...didn't get a lot of airplay here. Most of the casual U2 fans up here don't knwo of it. Idoubt very much that it'll ever be one of U2's ,most popular-at least among casual fans. Among obsessed-freaks like us, however, THAT'S another story entirely!

great songs, but because u2 no matter what they will come out with will always be seen as a band of the past will not see their new songs gain the same respect of classics from the jt period.

its a shame really, cause the songs you mentioned are probably my favorite on the album.

Beautiful Day is my favorite track off ATYCLB, but the live version never really quite did it for me. The live version seems flat and lacks the sparkle that the studio version has.

Kite is my favorite U2 song ever. BD and Walk On are great, I think BD will go down as a U2 staple, but it is very difficult like Zoomarang said, for U2 to be appreciated as a band of the present, and not a band that had big hits in the late 80's and early 90's.

womanfish said:
Kite is my favorite U2 song ever.

Without question, Kite is my favorite off All That... . There is something about that song that echoes the emotional roller coaster of the Unforgettable Fire's Bad. While not sounding the same, it certainly "feels" the same.

I was torn in that I wished that it was released as a single, and yet, I am glad that it never was made into one. Sometimes the dicing up and commercial-packaging of a song has a negative affect on my opinion of that song. This was the case with the single version of Walk On (the video version, not the Godrich remix). Beautiful Day, however, remains brilliant and fresh to my ears.

The way I see it, Kite is Bad pt.2. And I don't mean to insinuate that Kite is not an original song. On the contrary, it is just that. It is a striking piece that contains the best guitar solo on the entire album. Bad doesn't have a solo. Kite is about death not drugs. Bad is inspired by the heroin over-dose of a dear friend. Kite grabs your attention with a swaying and drowning sound in which the Edge is a master at . Bad captures you with a minimalistic, yet hypnotic pulse that has no end. Both songs allow you to experience one thing. U2 at their best together. Songs that will stand the test of time. True U2 epics.

Stuck in a Moment... is my personal favorite from ATYCLB.

Wild Honey is really starting to get under my skin too.

BD will probably go down as one of U2's classics, while Kite will become one of favorite live songs that didn't become singles (like Bad, or UTEOTW).

Wow...

Roland of Gilead, you described the relationship between "Bad" and "Kite" so perfectly. I never thought of that before, but now after reading your description...I see where you're going with that. :).

To answer the question this topic deals with, I think "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On" which got tons of airplay, will be remembered when people talk about U2 and their best songs, unfortunately "Kite" may never get the recognition it deserves when people talk about U2's best songs...I dunno.

I was just listening to ATYCLB this morning, and I feel like commenting on some of the songs...I love "Walk On". That song will always be one of the most inspirational songs I've ever heard. And "Beautiful Day"-that's just a feel good tune, I think, one that I can listen to in the morning and just feel happy while listening to it.

I also love "Kite". That song hasn't had airplay here in my town, which is unfortunate, because it's a very good song. It's sad, though-I remember one morning I was listening to it and I started crying. But it's a really touching song.

One song that has gotten some airplay here in my town off that album is "In A Little While". I love, love, LOVE this song. Absolutely adore it. And I hear it on this one radio station sometimes. This is one of the sweetest songs by these guys that I've ever heard.

Like you guys have said, "Wild Honey" is another one that's really growing on me. I liked it when I first heard it, and the more I hear it, the more I like it. And that brings up a question...that song sounds like something another band could do, too-who do you guys think that song sounds like it could also have been by?

As for other songs, funny, when I first heard "Grace", I thought it was okay. But then I listened to it again this morning...now it's growing on me.

And "Peace On Earth" is a great song as well-I can identify with what the song's about, it's how I feel a lot of the time.

"Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of"-I like that one, because it's kinda personal...it reminds me of this guy I liked last year-I felt some of the lyrics kinda spoke to me or something.

This whole album's just great-it's got lots of great songs.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom