Beautiful Day or Always?... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Poll: Beautiful Day or Always?
Beautiful Day 67 68.37%
Always 31 31.63%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2002, 12:33 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow
The first 30 seconds of Always is great, and then the half-baked and cliched lyrics begin.
I completely agree about the cliched lyrics. I do like the song, but some of the lyrics come across as being overly trite.

Beautiful Day, on the other hand, is truly a breath of fresh air. The lyrics are uplifting, it has a great hook, and Edge's ringing guitar lick spreads the icing on the cake. I can't tell you how much I love this song!

Old 06-08-2002, 12:43 PM   #22
Den Mother

Location: Well my heart is where it's always been, my head is somewhere in between.
Local Time: 02:26 PM

I voted for BD.
Always has a funky tune but BD's lyrics are superior and the music is perfect.

Old 06-08-2002, 12:47 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:56 PM
BD is awesome and I picked it.

But I also like the melody of always. very catchy
Old 06-08-2002, 04:00 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I like them both but BD is best. When I first heard Always I thought it was a prototype for BD. I was right.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:25 AM   #25
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow

That's what I don't get....IT WAS completed in the form of BD. If you like the demo version more, that's cool. But I don't understand how anyone can seperate them as two seperate musical pieces. They are of the same cloth.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:13 AM   #26
Acrobat

I know that BD evolved from Always - but they are two very different songs.

Much like "Lady With The Spinning Head" and "The Fly" share bloodlines, but are very different, both musically and lyrically.

BD doesn't "flow" IMO, whereas Always does (the bridge is pretty weak, however).

I guess it's all a matter of taste, and I don't even rank BD in my top 20 U2 songs - Always just squeaks in.

Had they simply beefed up the guitar tracks and worked out the vocal mixing (more Bono, less Edge) - it would be in my top 10!

To each his own I suppose!
Old 06-09-2002, 07:11 AM   #27
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:26 PM

I know the lyrics of "Always" aren´t that deep and inspirational like the lyrics of BD are But the mood of the song is - to my mind - a bit more "warm" and it I like these corny lines like "Always wear a safety belt"
Old 06-09-2002, 09:00 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Normal

Beautiful Day. Besides being sentimental to me and one of my favourite ATYCLB songs, I just love it for what it is.

And, tell me.. am I the only person on the planet who hates Always?
Old 06-09-2002, 09:40 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still
I know that BD evolved from Always - but they are two very different songs.

Much like "Lady With The Spinning Head" and "The Fly" share bloodlines, but are very different, both musically and lyrically.

BD doesn't "flow" IMO, whereas Always does (the bridge is pretty weak, however).

I guess it's all a matter of taste, and I don't even rank BD in my top 20 U2 songs - Always just squeaks in.

Had they simply beefed up the guitar tracks and worked out the vocal mixing (more Bono, less Edge) - it would be in my top 10!

To each his own I suppose!
Yes, they are completely different. I wouldn't rank BD in my Top 20 either, but Always is #2. I think I like the rawness of it. It doesn't feel unfinished to me.
Old 06-09-2002, 10:45 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 06:26 PM
i voted for always but i think i like them equally. maybe i say always now cause i've been listening to BD for 2 years now and i've only came across Always a couple of months back (i know, i know that's bad but i never bought the BD single so i claim ingorance) so it's new and fresh in my mind.

i do think that BD is the better put together song, but Always is a B side so that's expected. i like the rambling of the incoherant lyrics, it kinda makes ya think about the stuff that's running through his head. it seems like one of those songs that ya just say anything just to get lyrics to the music. i say this cause the lyrics are no where near the content put in BD. and there is some great lyrics in always, for example one of my favs is:

"this is the moment that we share for always"

anyway enough of my rambling.....in conclusion i like them both

Old 06-11-2002, 05:41 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 12:26 AM
I think BD will be remembered like Angel of Harlem. IMO, it's not going to be a real U2 classic song like SBS, Streets, WOWY or One.

Anyway, I'd like to know how the fans will remember the songs of ATYCLB in twenty years time.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:17 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter
Anyway, I'd like to know how the fans will remember the songs of ATYCLB in twenty years time.
I think, in the USA, at least, songs like "Walk On" and even "Stuck in a Moment..." will lead some to think back to 9/11.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:13 AM   #33
War Child

wink

Man you sure like making polls don't you?
Old 06-13-2002, 04:10 AM   #34
Babyface

Always! Well that was easy......hehe. Don't get me wrong, I love BD...and it has a special meaning to me. But it doesn't...mmm...affect me the way Always does. I know a lot of people think that the words are random and cheesy, but I seriously find them to be the most meaningful, straight-to-my-soul lyrics of any U2 song. But that's just me, lol.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:36 AM   #35
The Fly

Local Time: 10:26 PM
There is no comparison. BD is monster piece of record-making, a total bull's eye, blew the whole industry away. Always is an early, unsuccessful attempt at BD. It's likable -- I particularly like the little "I want you" detour, even though it isn't very well integrated into the song -- but for the most part it sounds like a more conventional BD. Sort of a larval BD -- something pale and writhing blindly under a log on some damp forest floor. Yeah sure.

Also must point out the unquestionable mediocrity of the lyric. Sure, BD is no lyrical masterpiece (Love is Blindness, Miss Sarjevo, and Bono's other lyrical titans have nothing to be worried about), but it's good, and it does have those "Bedouin fires at night" and "the oil fields at first light." Always, on the other hand, offers cliches about bees and flowers and, straining for a rhyme, brings in parapets and bone marrow (!). Come on, people -- get off that damn parapet and vote for BD.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:11 AM   #36
Refugee

I like BD and Always about the same...but I picked "Always" just 'cause it's is so freakin cheeseball it makes me smile.

I mean come on...

"Always wear a safety belt?"

BWA-HA-HA!!!

You've got to give the man credit for making me laugh...
Old 06-13-2002, 01:58 PM   #37
Refugee

Beautiful Day is a master of a song. I probably play it twice a week (or maybe 3) on my way to work.

It's a most inspirational song and I think U2 will long be remembered for it.

"It's a Beautiful Day, don't let it get away"......
Old 06-22-2002, 08:55 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

*bump* For NShaik.

There ya go!