Beautiful Day-Best rock/pop song of the decade-so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogi

The Fly
For a the last few years, I have completely loathed ATYCLB. But recently, for some reason, I have grown to like it as much as I did when it came out.

The one song I just can´t get enough of now is Beautiful Day. Yes it is a very overplayed song, but my god, what a powerful song it is.

IMO, I feel that BD could very well be the best song released by anyone in this decade. It has such a timeless quality to it and is so well structured.

Any other thoughts on other songs out there that could compete for the title of "song of the decade"?

I couldn't agree more. I've made my thoughts on Beautiful Day known several tmes here on Interference, and not only do I think it's the best pop song of the decade, but maybe of the best pop songs ever recorded. :up:

Everytime I read comments like this, you know, "best song of the decade" I wonder how much musical background the guys have for making that statement :eyebrow:

Even if you haven't heard any other band than U2, City Of Blinding Lights put Beautiful Day onto shame :yes:

MANY other rock songs are way better than the most overrated U2 song ever: Beautiful Day. Radiohead 2+2=5 or There There, The Strokes Someday, The Mars Volta Intertiatic ESP, The White Stripes Seven Nation Army, Franz Ferdinand Take Me Out and The Dark Of Matinee, Travis Sing, Keane Everybody's Changing, Coldplay Politik, etc, etc, etc

Beautiful Day is awesome and very uplifting but it's hard to narrow it down to one perfect pop song of the decade when there are so many to choose from...

Wet Sand - RHCP
Dark Of The Matinee - Franz Ferdinand
Gone - Pearl Jam
Guess God Thinks I'm Abel - Oasis
Precious - Depeche Mode
etc. etc.

Ponkine,

My musical background consists of 15 years of playing guitar and bass, being in various bands and having an extensive exposure to music from every genre. I went and saw Sun Ra a teenager for chrissakes.
So honestly, no reason for these kind of comments. A little arrogant IMO.

Zootlesque said:
Beautiful Day is awesome and very uplifting but it's hard to narrow it down to one perfect pop song of the decade when there are so many to choose from...

Wet Sand - RHCP
Dark Of The Matinee - Franz Ferdinand
Gone - Pearl Jam
Guess God Thinks I'm Abel - Oasis
Precious - Depeche Mode
etc. etc.

Well, I wouldn't consider most of those as 'pop'...particularly I think Wet Sand and Gone are much more 'rock' than 'pop'.

namkcuR said:

Well, I wouldn't consider most of those as 'pop'...particularly I think Wet Sand and Gone are much more 'rock' than 'pop'.

Gone maybe yes, but Wet Sand is such a beautifully crafted pop song by the once funky RHCP!!! :ohmy:

Zootlesque said:

Gone maybe yes, but Wet Sand is such a beautifully crafted pop song by the once funky RHCP!!! :ohmy:

My thinking is that 'rock' is more than 'loud', it's an attitude. IMO, you can hear 'rock' in his voice in the way he sings in that song. He sings aggressively. He sings with attitude. And the guitar solo at the end! JMO.

namkcuR said:

My thinking is that 'rock' is more than 'loud', it's an attitude. IMO, you can hear 'rock' in his voice in the way he sings in that song. He sings aggressively. He sings with attitude. And the guitar solo at the end! JMO.

:hmm: You may be right. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes. But then again, Beautiful Day has the classic guitar too.. no solo though!

Mogi said:
Ponkine,

My musical background consists of 15 years of playing guitar and bass, being in various bands and having an extensive exposure to music from every genre. I went and saw Sun Ra a teenager for chrissakes.
So honestly, no reason for these kind of comments. A little arrogant IMO.

Oh, don't be surprised! This is the most commom attitude these days in this forum. Next time, don't bother about comment that...:wink:

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! Jesus, no!

I mean, I think that "Beautiful Day" is a swell enough song, sure...but come the fuck on, kids.

"Hey Ya"...?

"Since U Been Gone" was a better pop song than "Beautiful Day," even...as was "Chewing Gum," by Annie, and a host of other songs.

"Beautiful Day" is great, but calling it the best pop/rock song of the decade verges on psychotic.

Re: Re: Beautiful Day-Best rock/pop song of the decade-so far?

ponkine said:
Even if you haven't heard any other band than U2, City Of Blinding Lights put Beautiful Day onto shame :yes:

:yes: Beautiful Day is still excellent though. :)

Beautiful Day is up there. I think it's very underappreciated but it's not the best.

I think Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand is probably the best pop/rock song of the decade so far.

Re: Re: Beautiful Day-Best rock/pop song of the decade-so far?

Beautiful Day, is by far not one of my fave U2 songs, but that being said it does make for a good rock/ pop song.

ponkine said:

MANY other rock songs are way better than the most overrated U2 song ever: Beautiful Day. Radiohead 2+2=5 or There There, The Strokes Someday, The Mars Volta Intertiatic ESP, The White Stripes Seven Nation Army, Franz Ferdinand Take Me Out and The Dark Of Matinee, Travis Sing, Keane Everybody's Changing, Coldplay Politik, etc, etc, etc

With the exception of Seven Nation Army, this is a horrible list for best rock/ pop song of the decade. Good songs, don't get me wrong(with the exception of Take Me Out), but 2+2=5?! Give me a break, most people couldn't even sing along with that song and that's needed for best rock/ pop song...

ponkine said:
Everytime I read comments like this, you know, "best song of the decade" I wonder how much musical background the guys have for making that statement :eyebrow:

And yes, this is more than a little arrogant, but it's Ponkine, it's expected.

There was a recent countdown of the 929 "best" songs on my favorite radio station recently... Beautiful Day (the Live 8 version) was #2! I was excited to hear that. Maybe not the second best song ever, though, but certainly one of the best of the decade, I'd agree. The version they picked was especially good, probably my favorite, and I'd rate it far and away above the original.

Imagine was #1 :huh: but the rest of the top 10 I mostly agreed with.

Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day-Best rock/pop song of the decade-so far?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
With the exception of Seven Nation Army, this is a horrible list for best rock/ pop song of the decade. Good songs, don't get me wrong(with the exception of Take Me Out), but 2+2=5?! Give me a break, most people couldn't even sing along with that song and that's needed for best rock/ pop song...

I have nothing more to add.

I don't know if it is the *best* but it is up there.

But I would say it defines the decade pretty well for most people. It is a massive song, not a niche tune. It makes you feel good. It is a classic.

For a song that has NO HOOK, and the same chord progression in the verse as in the chorus, it's a great tune. How they managed to pull this off, I don't know.

I think the honor for best pop/rock song of the decade thus far goes to Take Me Out. Or Crystal by New Order. Now THAT's a killer single...

Yes, BD is one of the best songs from this decade. It is one of U2s best songs ever, and many people not BIG fans, mention this song as one of the best and most well-known. The song will be remembered - maybe not by fans, as I can see here - but by others.

Back
Top Bottom