Beautiful Day-Best rock/pop song of the decade-so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think when 2010 rolls around I will remember 'Since U Been Gone' as a great pop/rock song (whatever that means), one of the best, and I say this without any irony whatsoever.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I think when 2010 rolls around I will remember 'Since U Been Gone' as a great pop/rock song (whatever that means), one of the best, and I say this without any irony whatsoever.

liar...

despite i don't like most of U2s 2000s output i rate BEAUTIFUL DAY very high as a rock/pop song. especially i really like the last 30sec of the song when they push the song into a great rousing finale. :up:

Zootlesque said:
Beautiful Day is awesome and very uplifting but it's hard to narrow it down to one perfect pop song of the decade when there are so many to choose from...

Wet Sand - RHCP
Dark Of The Matinee - Franz Ferdinand
Gone - Pearl Jam
Guess God Thinks I'm Abel - Oasis
Precious - Depeche Mode
etc. etc.

Mad props for aknowledging Depeche Mode. "Precious" is right up there on my list for top 5 best pop songs of this decade. Too bad not many people know it.

I love "Beautiful Day", but personally it's not one of my favorite pop songs from this decade. I mean, it's in the top 20...but to be one of the greatest pop songs, it has to have that "replay" quality and BD wears thin after a couple listens. I have to be in that joyful mood to listen to it.

Other contenders for best POP songs:

Crazy - Gnarles Barkley
Dare - Gorillaz
Rock DJ - Robbie Williams
Crazy In Love - Beyonce
Lola's Theme - Shapeshifters
Only - Nine Inch Nails (great friggin song, i find it to be a bit pop)
Love Song - The 311 cover version

I would list stuff from Radiohead, Tool, Deftones, System of a Down, but I'm trying to be fair with the pop angle

Considering the universal earfuck we're all getting from 'You're Beautiful', you could argue that is a superior pop song to Beautiful Day.

James Blunt should be stoned (and not in that oh so very fun way) for that song. What is the punishment for torture?

ElectricalVoice said:
Yes, BD is one of the best songs from this decade. It is one of U2s best songs ever, and many people not BIG fans, mention this song as one of the best and most well-known. The song will be remembered - maybe not by fans, as I can see here - but by others.

The song will be remembered mainly because of that cliché of singing it at the Super Bowl with all that 11th September marketing :down:

I 100% agree with William Woodward. Sadly U2 believed in US goverment lies and the agenda behind the "War Against Terror"

Anyway most of people here in Chile and South America never believed that "official" version of Terrorist Attack of Al Qaeda and all that Osama Bin Laden circus.

U2 shouldn't act like that by kissing US ass :(

I still remember Bono in 1987 talking against US goverment by their terrorist agenda in Central America ...

ponkine said:

The song will be remembered mainly because of that cliché of singing it at the Super Bowl with all that 11th September marketing :down:

I 100% agree with William Woodward. Sadly U2 believed in US goverment lies and the agenda behind the "War Against Terror"

Anyway most of people here in Chile and South America never believed that "official" version of Terrorist Attack of Al Qaeda and all that Osama Bin Laden circus.

I still remember Bono in 1987 talking against US goverment by their terrorist agenda in Central America ...

Well I agree with ElectricalVoice it's overplayed like One but that doesn't take away the brilliance and uplifiting sense that some of the best songs of U2 have in them like Streets, Bad, and City of Blinding Lights

and U2 has never agreed with the US on the war in Iraq, the fact that they love the American people and the country doesn't mean they agree with it's government

You know, I think you can make a case for BD being one of the best pop songs of the 00's, but not sure if that's saying more about the merits of BD or the overally quality (or lack thereof) of this decade's pop music. Compare BD with some of U2's better work in the '80's (WTSHNN, for example, far surpasses BD). Not sure some of the more "rock" songs mentioned have that universal pop quality to the point where they can make the "best pop song" claim...agreed on "Hey Ya" and the Kelly Clarkson one though.

And yes, BD>COBL, by far.

Now, a quick hijack.

The apparent need on the part of certain members here to trivialize the incidents of September 11 in the name of, I don't even know what the point of it is, is offensive to me and I'm sure to many others. I know it's an old post, and this thread got bumped up, but it's the 2nd such post I've seen in here in the past 2 days. I realize a lot of people don't like our government/president (I agree), but it wasn't GWBush in those towers, it was regular people, just like anyone here. Just stop. It would be like someone starting 2 threads about how "Mothers of the Disappeared" is U2's most boring song, and is a perfect "piss/beer break song", and how they can't stand that contrived Santiago performance, clearly set up by U2 to prove to everyone what good people they are, how much they care, etc. Theoretically speaking of course; I love MotD truthfully, it's one of my favorites, and I do find that performance particularly powerful...but you get the picture.

OK, end hijack...sorry.

It's mighty overplayed, but my musical scruples are compelling me to say that 'Crazy' is a very strong rival, regarding the thread's subject. I think it qualifies as a pop song.

Beautiful Day is definitely U2's most genuine, uninhibited outburst of the decade so far, though. Eno and Lanois's gooey atmospherics are on a very fine edge during the track as they almost ruin it by throwing in too many random oscillating synthesizers. The two masters do give the track its wings during the chorus, along with Edge, though.

There's a fine line between a great song sounding spontaneous and taking off like a 747, and a great song sounding slick, polished and overproduced.

Beautiful Day falls on the 747 side of that, while COBL and most of HTDAAB on the other side.

Last edited:
A very good song (albeit with a generic, almost trudging, verse melody), but not the best song of the decade so far. That honour goes to...

'The Cedar Room'
by Doves.

Unequivocally "special"...beautiful and emotionally and spiritually encompasing like the very best U2 songs ('Bad', for example).

Last edited:
ponkine said:

Dude, think before you talk. You may be from chile, but many at this forum are US citizens, and some may have lost loved ones in that horrific moment in history. If you want to go off on a Bush-bashing anti-USA hatefilled rant, this is the wrong place to do it. It's the worst act of terrorism to date in this country and to hear you generalize it as a government conspiracy, or as a marketing scheme for U2, is quite disturbing to be honest.

I have no problem with anyone qualifying Beautiful Day as the best rock/pop song as the decade
I might actually agree

I have no problem with anyone qualifying ponkine's post as disturbing
I might actually agree

In my opinion Beautiful Day is not the greatest U2 song of the 2000-2006- era... I think, Original of the Species(I LOve it!), Miracle Drug, COBL, Love and Peace, Walk On, Vertigo, SIAMYCGOO, are BETTER - their lyrics are better and their music are lotta more better....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom