"Beautiful Day" appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saracene

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
I'll confess: I wasn't impressed with this song at all when the radio first started to play it like crazy. I still didn't think much of it when it won a bunch of Grammys last year, and I certainly didn't love it after U2 served it up on their nearly every TV appearance. But after hearing it live, I've started to appreciate it so much more. And now that all that "first single" hoopla has gone, it stands for me as a genuine elegant classic.

Yar
I just smiled when they used it to go to th ads during the olympics. i might add they used One for the ad break before it.
Someone at channel 7 likes u2 methinks.

BD is my fave song from atyclb now. When i forst heard the album i thought it was New york or IALW but nah, its BD.

its a keeper...glad uve noticed at last
wink.gif

they used the elevation influx mix during the tennis this year...also used Waiting for the Sun
smile.gif

plus ive heard bits of lets go native and miss sarajevo at different times

The last good U2 track I had heard before BD was Staring at the Sun, the last great track - Stay. Most of POP was lost on me I must admit, some of it was good but not the U2 I had loved in the 80s and early 90s,

Coming home from work one day I was driving down a country lane in England I switched channels beacuse the usual Techno crap was doing my head in and the Radio Presenter announced a new track called Beautiful day by U2, cool I thought, listening to the track I thought WOW this song is amazing, the tune rocked.. and the lyrics were superb..

That was the first time I had heard it, I now have about 100 versions of this song (mostly live) and I still love it to death and play it all the time, the sign of a good song imo is if you can play it constantly for a year and not get sick of it..

It is a classic U2 song imo up there with Streets and One..

------------------
Smoke me a kipper
Ill be back for breakfast

**cass signs in** I agree Saracene.
it was a very beautiful day

The sea is a fine something that all people need.

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 02-11-2002).]

Beautiful Day, to me, suffers from first single syndrome. It's when you hear a song a whole lot before actually hearing the whole album, and then it's almost like it's separate from the album, it almost doesn't fit. Over-exposure or something. I do love the song. I had problems with much of U2's mid-90's work and this song told me that I was probably going to love the new album. It has great lyrics, and the guitar makes me smile so much. Actually, the first time I heard any of it at all, just the little clip of "What you don't know you don't need it now" to the end, I thought "Wow...this reminds me of Boy."

But partly because I love the album generally, and partly because of first single syndrome, BD comes in around sixth right now for placing my favourite songs on ATYCLB. I would put Walk On, WILATW, IALW, New York, and Stuck ahead of it--not necessarily in that order. But like I said, that could change. Stuck would probably be the one to fall out of the top five and BD might replace it.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

I love BD. I never get tired of it. In fact I like it better now than when I first heard it. I would have liked them to see them open with it. Elevation was cool though...

Funny, but the very first time I heard BD, I was in my car and I heard the first notes and I was like "Who is this crap?". Then I heard Bono's voice and I almost ran my car off the road! AND also felt ashamed of thinking that the song was crap by just hearing the first 4 notes!!!

I must've been in a bad mood that day or something! I absolutely adore the song!

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

Never have gotten tired of it. I first heard it January 2001 - and it's how I became a U2 fan. It changed my life! I still listen to it at least once a week. Amazing song.

"We got soul in the world"

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Yeeeeah! This song might have a bad rap for too much airplay or what have you, but I'm w/ the others who haven't gotten sick of it yet. Everytime I hear it I just have to smile and sing along at the top of my lungs. It's great for driving- through any scenery I guess! Yay for BD!

------------------
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright
Uncertainty can be a guiding light

She was afraid of this man, all decked out in leather, wearing sunglasses during the day...sunglasses to hide his bloodshot, drug-addled eyes, she was sure. -Beebs

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

First heard it in November 2000 and still love it very much. It's an amazing song that has better qualities than elevation in my opinion. I love the Notre Dame boot where they started the show with it. Bono doing this mixture between singing and reciting: "The heart is a bloom" - fantastic!

annalivia

------------------
"I'm a singer. You know what a singer is? Someone with a hole in his heart as big as his ego.
When you need 20,000 people screaming your name in order to feel good about your day,
you know you're a singer."

Bono's Harvard address, June 2001

I play Beautiful Day every morning on my way to work. I try to plan it so I get the " see the world in green and blue, see China right in front of you, see the canyons broken by the clouds , after the flood all the colors came out... day............" as I cross the top of the Vincent Thomas bridge in LA Harbor. I love to see the San Bernadino mountains and Catalina Island and the ocean as I hear that line ( on a smog free day of course). I know, I sound like a geek but that song is the only thing that puts me in a decent mood on my way to work.

I can't believe I'm not tired of it, but I'm not. It is to me, just about u2's greatest song.

Even my mother likes it, and that's saying something.....

It's a Beautiful Day, Don't let it get away....

I was in my fitness class this morning, and I was in a totally blah mood. I was feeling really depressed and stressed out and just wanted to go home. Then, as I was on the leg press, "Beautiful Day" started to play in the fitness center. Talk about motivation for the rest of my workout.
smile.gif

That song always makes me feel better...

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Beautiful Day was the song that helped me to get out of a serious depression last fall...thanks U2.

smile.gif

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

Remember how Bono talked about U2 music being ecstatic on The Making of the Joshua Tree (I think it was there) - will that's how it is on Beautiful Day. It celebrates the joy of living with such exhuberance it is just breathtaking - love it beyond everything.

GO CHANNEL 7 !!!

Pamela

I first heard BD just a few weeks after my ex-boyfriend had broken up with me. "what you don't have you don't need it now", that line meant so much to me, and that song helped me enormously with the aftermath of the heartbreak.

Amazing song, I'm not sick of it yet, and I get chills and feel nothing but joy when I hear it.

------------------
You can tear it up
If you can tie me down

Back
Top Bottom