Beatles songs on the next tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
I hope U2 never becomes a cover band...but do you think we might see I Am the Walrus or Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds as a rare treat on the next tour...a once in a while addition?

I actually wouldn't at all be surprised as they were recorded by Bono for the Across the Universe soundtrack. They've been known to play soundtrack songs live (Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, The Hands That Built America), and they've been known to cover The Beatles (Help!, Helter Skelter, Happiness is a Warm Gun).

They would be cool as snippets. I love snippets: they educated me when I did not know anything about music history.

I'd rather have POP songs on the next tour like Please, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth and Mofo :drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if the across the universe soundtrack came out while u2 was actively on tour, yes... i think there'd be a decent chance at seeing a cover of one of those two songs, or at least a lengthly snippet.

seeing as they're unlikely to be on tour until 2009? highly unlikely.

but wasn't HMTMKMKM performed 2 years after it first came out?

Only a two year difference.... (HMTMKMKM came out in '95 and the Popmart tour was in '97/'98) That being said, I'd like to see them cover a Beatles song once in awhile--but a different one every time, and maybe only one out of every five or six shows. AND I'd like to see them shake up their setlist (and not have so many pre-planned stage gadgets that make their set-lists cement). And that being said, I don't think there's a likelihood of either of those things happening.

Why would it be such a big surprise? They used to play covers all the time.... Think of ZooTV, for instance. Satellite of Love, Unchained Melody, Can't Help Falling in Love.... Hell, even Popmart had karaoke with The Edge.

the tourist said:
Why would it be such a big surprise? They used to play covers all the time.... Think of ZooTV, for instance. Satellite of Love, Unchained Melody, Can't Help Falling in Love.... Hell, even Popmart had karaoke with The Edge.

"Used to" being the key words. And "all the time" is a big exxageration. They had two they regular performed on Zoo TV. They did All Along the Watchtower before that. Edge Karaoke on PopMart. Other than that? Very rare.

More rare recent. Not as rare 15-20 years ago (Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Help, Helter Skelter, etc.).

europop2005 said:
little bit of imagination here: a "Dr Robert" alter ego (ala the Fly, Macphisto)

That'd be interesting. I think it'd be more similar to Mirrorball Man though.

gman said:
Ad rather they didnt drop a u2 song in order to accomodate ANY cover version

I kind of agree on this, I never liked Bono singing unchained melody live.. admittedly it segued well into until the end of the world, but it always sounded flat to me

Back
Top Bottom