Beat on the Brat!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it, but usually they do more interesting things with their covers; this is basically the Ramones version with Bono singing instead. Edge doesn't bring any of his style to it.

to be fair typhoon, when covering bands you admire (especially ones that have dead members) you dont usually try and "one up them" if you know what i mean.

Cow of the Seas said:
to be fair typhoon, when covering bands you admire (especially ones that have dead members) you dont usually try and "one up them" if you know what i mean.
Yeah, but listen to "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" or "Fortunate Son." Usually they think of a clever new way to play the song. Still, it's U2 covering the Ramones, so I love it.

typhoon said:

Yeah, but listen to "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" or "Fortunate Son." Usually they think of a clever new way to play the song. Still, it's U2 covering the Ramones, so I love it.
Yes, even 'Everlasting Love' and 'Can't Help Falling In Love' are unique. I love their take on 'Satellite of Love' as well. I must admit, this version of 'Beat on the Brat' is the most plain a cover I've heard from U2. Still nice to hear brand new U2 though!

cool!

To be quite frank, I think the cover is rather cool - for no other reason that it's good to hear U2 doing a true rock'n'roll song - even though it's not their own :)

i think it's really cool.

not that it matters what i think, but i do think it's cool.

Another excellent U2 cover that I remembered: "Don't Take Your Guns To Town." Now that was an interesting take.

yeah... why are the sigs cropped? wankers...

back to the subject at hand... there's not a whole lot you can do with a song that really only has like 5 lines... if u2 woulda tried their little "we can't sound like a guitar band, it's been done before... through in some loops" style of over producing that they get suckered into every now and then (over eno-izing themselves, i like to call it), i think it woulda sounded silly... all the bells and sirens and reverb and whatever other silly sound word you can think of in the background just doesn't go well with "beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat with a baseball bat"

ooooh, thanks Headache in a Suitcase and Mr_LeMon! Not the typical Edge guitar, but crisp and brash...i like it!

i do not subscribe to the philosophy of this song, though

Re: brat

bonofnattic said:
:yes:

Oh, man! I love the guitars & rhythm section!! I hope the new U2 cd rocks at this level.

martha said:

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Heheh, I wholeheartedly agree, but I think in a couple years we'll look back and think of Beat on the Brat as pure novelty. I wish I could say differently. This cover has a sensibility that many of the people on this board seem to be looking for in U2's next album.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
yeah... why are the sigs cropped? wankers...
Um, perhaps it's a subtle way of telling you that your sig is too damn long.

Last edited:
Re: Re: brat

pub crawler said:

Heheh, I wholeheartedly agree, but I think in a couple years we'll look back and think of Beat on the Brat as pure novelty. I wish I could say differently. This cover has a sensibility that many of the people on this board seem to be looking for in U2's next album.
So what are you saying Pub Crawler? hehe No, I think I know, and I agree. I think that this cover is good as a cover, but if this is what the next album sounds like - sure it will rock, but where's the magic? I find it odd that people want an album to rock before they want that intangible magic ingredient that we have come to expect from U2 circa '84 to '93.

Is that what you were getting at?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom