Beat on the Brat!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
typhoon said:
I like it, but usually they do more interesting things with their covers; this is basically the Ramones version with Bono singing instead. Edge doesn't bring any of his style to it.

I agree for the most part. I'm so used to hearing Joey's distinctive vocal, that it may take me a while to get used to Bono's singing. Still, it's a nice gesture to the Ramones. I wonder if BOTB was one of the famous tunes U2 said they wrote in school to get on that TV show Bono always talks about.

If they're a rock band, they should rock!

Michael Griffiths said:

but if this is what the next album sounds like - sure it will rock, but where's the magic? I find it odd that people want an album to rock before they want that intangible magic ingredient that we have come to expect from U2 circa '84 to '93.

This is only a cover, and a self-conscious one at that, but at least it rocks! I want the new record to rock and have that magic. That's not too much to ask; those two things aren't mutually exclusive. (Two Hearts, Pride, Sort of Homecoming, Streets, In God's Country, to name a very few.)

Yeah, '84 to '93 rocked, even farther back. I'm a little tired of slow tempo songs from a band that wanted to reclaim the charts for rock and roll.

(Oh shit. Here comes the "You must not be a fan if you don't love everything they do" crowd. RUN! :p )

Edit: punctuation error

Last edited:
beat my head because i don't agree.

nostalgia can cloud the brain sometimes. i'm from the era when the ramones were big. i hated most of their stuff then and i still do. i know u2 feel they wouldn't exist without them, but that still doesn't make the ramones music genius. a 6 year old could write those lyrics in 5 minutes, and a chimp could play them. obviously i'm going to get slammed by all the new "if u2 loves the ramones so do i devotees", but in 25 years you'll still be hearing 'with or without you' on the radio and 'beat the brat' will be dead.

Re: beat my head because i don't agree.

sphere said:
nostalgia can cloud the brain sometimes. i'm from the era when the ramones were big.

It's okay not to like the Ramones.

I saw them when I was in high school. It was 1980, and they were still riding high. They were fucking great, but an acquired taste. They were stealthily talented chimps and 6 year olds.

But really, aren't we going to be hearing Beat on the Brat after 25 years when this record comes out? ;)

Last edited:
it sounds cool, not really my style, but its not adult contemporary! this alone is a huge step forward from atyclb, i dont ever want to hear that style again.

whatever u2 does, they will be slammed, praised and be the most popular band in the world. thats quite somethin really.

Back
Top Bottom