Beat Bullying blue wristbands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riderka

War Child
Beat Bullying blue wristbands

Bono is one of the huge stars behind the Radio 1 beat bullying campaign.

_40552267_wbands_bono.jpg

...this is what I found on bbc.
Does anybody know more about this campaign?

Thats good to hear. Saw an advert for it a last week with other stars on it. Didnt see Bono on there though.

Well Done Bono although him and the lads going round the bullies doors would be more effective

Bullying isn't big, and it certainly isn't clever - it's not only morale and confidence destroying, but it can destroy lives. In my book, that don't make it a laughing matter.

Period.

:sad: Why can't I live in the UK?? If Bono likes it, so do I...but I can't get one.

Would anyone who lives in the UK mind sending me one?

There is a big drive on at the moment to tackle bullying in schools. I've been seeing a lot in the press about it. I've seen snippets of the ad with the famous folk in it.

No matter how good your cause I think cancer has a lock on the wristbands. I'll allow you pink for breast cancer research but after that it should be yellow jersey yellow and nothing else.

This is a retarded cause also. It's not like it's raising money to try and cure bullying.

Wait, so wearing a powder-blue wristband is supposed to PREVENT you from getting beat-up? Wouldn't it contribute to it? :wink: :eyebrow:

LiveFire said:
No matter how good your cause I think cancer has a lock on the wristbands. I'll allow you pink for breast cancer research but after that it should be yellow jersey yellow and nothing else.

This is a retarded cause also. It's not like it's raising money to try and cure bullying.

Awareness is part of the cure and if more people realized how serious it is, something can be done about it to stop it. You don't need money to stop bullying, you need caring people which costs nothing, just people to pay attention and work toward to cure rather than do nothing and be a part of the problem.

bananacologne said:
Bullying isn't big, and it certainly isn't clever - it's not only morale and confidence destroying, but it can destroy lives. In my book, that don't make it a laughing matter.

Period.

I know my life has been damaged by the low self esteem and lack of confidence caused by bullies.

U2Kitten said:

I know my life has been damaged by the low self esteem and lack of confidence caused by bullies.

same here. I'm still dealing with problems caused from bullying five years ago... it completely fucked up my opinion of myself.

adam3000 said:
Man Bono looks old in that pic.

He almost looks like Killer BOB from Twin Peaks. Scary!

_40552267_wbands_bono.jpg
frank.GIF

On the subject of bullies...

I went to my high school reunion, last year, and I observed something interesting. A guy came up to me, first introducing himself, and then apologizing for being a jerk and a bully back in the day, I assume because I looked like somebody he would have picked on. I took beatings in school, but never by this particular guy. I actually don't remember ever having any kind of interaction with him at all. But, he thought he did. Anyway, I listened, told him everything was cool, and he went on his way.

Then, another guy came up, one who did bully me a little bit, and he went through the same spiel. And I quickly realized that these guys - several of them - were going around the reunion like a bunch of 12-steppers, systematically apologizing to people, trying to make amends for what they'd done. It was about 11-15 years too late for their victims, but it was absolutely fascinating to see that happen.

In the case of the guy who did bully me (who had gone so far as to snipe me with a BB gun on my way home from school once), I was happy to see that he straightened himself out and became a friendly, thoughtful, well-mannered, genuinely nice guy. He ended up hanging around my little group the rest of the evening. That was a cool thing.

(Incidentally - I noticed the majority of the former bullies making the rounds are now in law enforcement. Surprised?)

Last edited:
LiveFire said:

....... It's not like it's raising money to try and cure bullying.

why don't you take the initiative and do something about it then
you could always donate some money to the NSPCC or childline (or the US equivalent) :wink:

burns said:

why don't you take the initiative and do something about it then
you could always donate some money to the NSPCC or childline (or the US equivalent) :wink:

I already bought a stack of the LAF bracelets to give during Christmas for my Dad.

I just see this as being much more about a cool little thing to wear than any real cause which can be said about the LAF bracelets too but at least they have a concrete meaning behind them.

Hopefully it helps out some kids though. Bullying screwed the hell out of me. There's just not a whole lot that can be done about our primal instincts of mobbing the weaker except informing the weaker of how to combat the bullying.

beau2ifulday said:

same here. I'm still dealing with problems caused from bullying five years ago... it completely fucked up my opinion of myself.

Yeah, me too.
Verbal bullying can be just as bad as physical.

It screwed me up for a good few years. I had no confidence whatsoever.
I'm alright now, though. I'm a fairly confident person these days. Sometimes my self-esteem still hits zero, but whose doesn't?

:hug: to all of you who were bullied. The thing with me was it just wasn't school because it spilled over into my personal life through my siblings and they are still very bad about it to this day though we are all grown. There is still always that underlying thing that I am the family joke and not as good as everyone else. They will say rude things to my face and laugh and then tell me not to have such an inferiority complex! Gee wonder why I do?

The problem with this program is, while it can bring awarenss (I always wondered why teachers seemed to let it go as 'normal' and ignore most of what they saw and heard, maybe this will help in that way) there is no way money can solve this problem.

Bono appears to be bullying the camera man in that photo....apparently bono in a rage over the anti bullying campaign decided to beat the cameraman with the same bracelet that supports the cause

U2Kitten said:
:hug: to all of you who were bullied. The thing with me was it just wasn't school because it spilled over into my personal life through my siblings and they are still very bad about it to this day though we are all grown. There is still always that underlying thing that I am the family joke and not as good as everyone else. They will say rude things to my face and laugh and then tell me not to have such an inferiority complex! Gee wonder why I do?

I don't know if you want to go into it, here, but, why do you think they've singled you out like that? Not that people always need a reason to do it. Sometimes the only reason people need is an inferiority complex of their own. I have a close friend who is now an up-and-coming actor in NYC, and who is probably the most focused, centered, disciplined, self-motivated individual I know. And very devoted to his family. Yet, he's the black sheep. And, I personally think it's because he's living his dream, and they are not. In any event, it's not pleasant and it's not fair, but it's not your fault.

Shade said:

I don't know if you want to go into it, here, but, why do you think they've singled you out like that? Not that people always need a reason to do it. Sometimes the only reason people need is an inferiority complex of their own. I have a close friend who is now an up-and-coming actor in NYC, and who is probably the most focused, centered, disciplined, self-motivated individual I know. And very devoted to his family. Yet, he's the black sheep. And, I personally think it's because he's living his dream, and they are not. In any event, it's not pleasant and it's not fair, but it's not your fault.

Thanks. I have always thought I was used as an example to make them feel better about themselves, they may be down but as long as they're not as bad off as me, they feel superior and it helps THEIR confidence and self esteem to damage mine! I don't think they are doing it on purpose, and they deny they are, but it happens so much I think it's become so natural to them and part of their personal makeup and the only way I will ever be free is to move away and change my name and start over with people who don't know me. I admire your friend for following his dream. I had dreams too, but was too afraid to follow them.

Hey, ever notice how many 'misfits' end up rich and famous? :sexywink:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Thanks. I have always thought I was used as an example to make them feel better about themselves, they may be down but as long as they're not as bad off as me, they feel superior and it helps THEIR confidence and self esteem to damage mine! I don't think they are doing it on purpose, and they deny they are, but it happens so much I think it's become so natural to them and part of their personal makeup and the only way I will ever be free is to move away and change my name and start over with people who don't know me. I admire your friend for following his dream. I had dreams too, but was too afraid to follow them.

Hey, ever notice how many 'misfits' end up rich and famous? :sexywink:

Do you really feel it's too late for you to follow your dreams?

Back
Top Bottom