beach clip 409 IS a strokes song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stargift said:

That scenario fits, because the strokes did a concert in Nice, France on the 18th and had a couple days off.

There seems to be a little problem with this senario. The song sounds live and only Bono is singing. Why would the band learn a song, play it with Bono singing and change the song up a little? Plus, if it were a collaboration, why is this there no sign of this Albert fellow in the clip? I'm really confused by this.

Sorry did not see it was already posted and it won't let me delete .

Well here is confirmation.

This is from The Strokes forum and its a reply from management about the song.

<<
they weren't covering the song, albert was there that day and was
playing them some of his solo recordings when the band had a day off
during their tour last week.

can't believe some crazy fans were actually outside using spy gear to secretly record the sounds coming from the house... very creepy,
to say the least.

the song is actually called "in transit", and yes, albert's solo
album is due OCT. 9th, and will exclusively be released in the U.K.,
because that's the only place he has a record deal...
i'm sure it will be available for purchase elsewhere as an "import",
or through web stores...

-ryan
the strokes
wiz kid mgmt.
>>

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
HAHAHA I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU HAHAHAHA

Actually, if you look at the thread, I was one of the first 2-3 people who said it reminded them of the Strokes. And what were you saying?

"u2notgood der song suk dey sown lik old peeple coldplay musik"

Oh, and Chinese Democracy will not be coming out for a very long time. :|

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:

ha ha what a a great way to get back at someone:|

Eh, everyone always pastes some GnR insult at the end of all replies directed towards shaun vox, I just didn't feel like being all that creative. They all say the same thing anyway.

shaun vox said:
HAHAHA I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU HAHAHAHA

Just as someone told , your shit post factor went up incredibly :shrug: And it keeps growing

Last edited:
MMM true , I should have gave it a try , coz the few I listened bout their last album , the guitar sounded like that ........ It's like I could have said them , but I was too much :yawn: to like , give some credit for the Strks

Yahweh said:
The other few tracks were better then that strokes one anyway:)

Actually, it was the Strokes one that had me excited. Take or leave the rest, the magical 409 sounded like something fresh and new from U2.

And I think it IS creepy.

Dragonfave said:
Ha. So much for "OMG............Song# 409 will rock your world, 4ever..........biatch1!1!1!1!!!!" parade. :laugh:

I was a part of that too...:sad:

...Until I heard one of the least talented bands on earth play it. :eyebrow:

Earnie Shavers said:

Actually, it was the Strokes one that had me excited. Take or leave the rest, the magical 409 sounded like something fresh and new from U2.

And I think it IS creepy.

Me too. I was bouncing off the walls when I heard 409A ("OH MY GOD! A NEW MUSICAL DIRECTION FOR U2! A ZOOROPA-ESQUE TWIST!" etc.)

Hey, if Albert was really at Bono's house & showing off some of his stuff, then that would kind of make it more plausible that the taper was able to get so much other great material all in one shot.

Think about it. If we're going with the theory that clips 400-409 are all from a digital camera, and that the missing in-between clips are from pictures the guy took, then it would be safe to assume that the guy taped everything all in a short time in one day.

If that's the case, then it would seem to be that the band weren't rehearsing any of those songs--at least the first four. If they were rehearsing, there would have been stops, re-starts, mess-ups, etc. Instead, what the tapes show are segments of songs played straight-through, no stops, no mistakes, no re-starts------as if U2 were playing what they've got recorded already and showing it off to someone. Clip 409, which to me always sounded the least stable/finished/recorded-esque anyway, could very well be a jam with Albert or all of the Strokes, or Bono singing along with a cd that Albert is playing for him.

What the future holds for 409, who knows. But I think that the scenario of U2 & Albert showing off their stuff to each other creates a much more plausible scenario for the beach clip taper to have been able to record so much crisp, great stuff all in a short amount of time..... :hmm:

The best of those clips is the one with the magnificent chord changes and it wasnt the gay atari music, which ended up being the Strokes or the crap fest that was 'Thank You'.

So, I am pleased.

Easily the best of those clips is still supposedly a U2 song.

Utoo said:
Hey, if Albert was really at Bono's house & showing off some of his stuff, then that would kind of make it more plausible that the taper was able to get so much other great material all in one shot.

Think about it. If we're going with the theory that clips 400-409 are all from a digital camera, and that the missing in-between clips are from pictures the guy took, then it would be safe to assume that the guy taped everything all in a short time in one day.

If that's the case, then it would seem to be that the band weren't rehearsing any of those songs--at least the first four. If they were rehearsing, there would have been stops, re-starts, mess-ups, etc. Instead, what the tapes show are segments of songs played straight-through, no stops, no mistakes, no re-starts------as if U2 were playing what they've got recorded already and showing it off to someone. Clip 409, which to me always sounded the least stable/finished/recorded-esque anyway, could very well be a jam with Albert or all of the Strokes, or Bono singing along with a cd that Albert is playing for him.

What the future holds for 409, who knows. But I think that the scenario of U2 & Albert showing off their stuff to each other creates a much more plausible scenario for the beach clip taper to have been able to record so much crisp, great stuff all in a short amount of time..... :hmm:

If you're right, then an album in a couple months might not be so out of the question. If the taper recorded staight through why would there be pictures or whatever in between the songs?

Bonochick said:

You're right with the first part, but there's no need to be rude with the second part.

I don't think U2Man's comment was aimed at my remark. It was a response to the poster that called people in here 'clowns'.

LemonMelon said:

Wow, the song sounds like crap when it's been amplified. :| Some horrid vocals there. :huh:

WOW! You're right.

O.K., I admit to being spoiled by Bono's great vocals - but he's one of the best rock/pop vocalists ever. Not everyone can sound like he does.

But this great song is ruined by the vocals.

Reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins in the sense that they'd have these great songs, and then Billy Corgan would start singing. :yikes: I so wanted to like the Pumpkins, but I just could never stand Corgan's singing.

Utoo said:

If that's the case, then it would seem to be that the band weren't rehearsing any of those songs--at least the first four. If they were rehearsing, there would have been stops, re-starts, mess-ups, etc. Instead, what the tapes show are segments of songs played straight-through, no stops, no mistakes, no re-starts------as if U2 were playing what they've got recorded already and showing it off to someone.

I haven't read this whole thread but I have to agree with you on this.

I don't even think they would actually play their songs outside, by the pool.

I don't know how many of you have been there on the beach but speaking from my own experience, you simply can't hear anything coming from their studio. the studio is at the back of the estate.

These must be recordings of rehearsals or raw material.

You don't hear anything standing at their studios in Dublin either do you? So why would France be any different?

U2DMfan said:
The best of those clips is the one with the magnificent chord changes and it wasnt the gay atari music, which ended up being the Strokes or the crap fest that was 'Thank You'.

Thank You > OOTS.

LemonMelon said:

Thank You > OOTS.

The fact that someone, presumably with a decent taste would take an unfinished demo recorded with a hand held recorder by someone just standing on the beach next to a house likely just airing a previously recorded version of that said demo, OVER easily one of the best tracks on the last album pretty much sums that album's production up and maybe the album's quality itself.

Last edited:
To say something that is heard on these beach clips is a better song then Original of The Species is a bit premature I would say.

Yahweh said:
To say something that is heard on these beach clips is a better song then Original of The Species is a bit premature I would say.

Yeah, if not totally ridiculous.
But we've all got our own opinions.

I almost think 402 might be better than nearly anything on HTDAAB, but I also take a step back and realize how much you don't hear on these type of recordings. It's just a cool possibility.

The Miracle Drug beach clip sounded like Jesus, and well, some of us don't think it was very good in actuality. It didn't translate.

The best things the beach clips do is prove U2 are recording, and one of these years, there will be almost certainly a follow up to HTDAAB, and that's got to be a good thing for everyone.

All I know is that if I'm gonna pick on HTDAAB, I got a good 9 songs before I hit OOTS. I actually think it's a pretty damn good song covered in cheese, that is to say, Brian Eno (or someone else) might have gave the song the subtlety that it deserves. Instead it's kind of a crap version, as is. And of course, that's just my opinion.

greety said:

You don't hear anything standing at their studios in Dublin either do you? So why would France be any different?

I heard Mofo for the first time standing outside their Dublin studio (windows and doors shut) back in '96... :)

U2DMfan said:

The Miracle Drug beach clip sounded like Jesus, and well, some of us don't think it was very good in actuality. It didn't translate.

That's because the actual track was missing the waves... ;)

Although I rarely trust the listening skills of the general forum population (HAY 400 SOUNDS LIKE CLOCKS CUZ THERE'S A PIANO AND THE RIGHT HAND IZ PLAYING THREE NOTES PER CHORDS OH snapperzzzz), that really is a Strokes song.

Good spotting :ohmy:

Ok, having read through the entire thread, I find the situation rather funny, but also a bit disappointing, since this 409 or beach clip 5 or whatever was my favourite of the five songs :D

I don't care what the Strokes manager (or whatever he is) says though, that is Bono singing, and there is no keyboard - I believe U2 is covering it.

Anyway. I am disappointed with U2 - now, there is no real "new sound," nor are there any upbeat beach clips. It'll be ok if they cover it and release it as a b-side though, Bono's voice fits better.

And Bono is singing this, just listen, we all know that voice.

And it doesn't sound like Joy Division, except for maybe the guitar, but that, I think, sounds more like Editors.

God Part III said:

And it doesn't sound like Joy Division, except for maybe the guitar, but that, I think, sounds more like Editors.

...who sound like Joy Division :wink: (don't get me wrong, i LOVE Editors, a lot more than Joy Division, but yea)

it really does sound like Bono singing to me :shrug: maybe Bono will be featured on that track on Albert's solo album? a duet, someone suggested?

Back
Top Bottom