beach clip 409 IS a strokes song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After listening to the clip in a clearer version ten times straight, I'm pretty sure this isn't Bono simply playing a recording. :eyebrow:
I think it is U2 playing the music for Bono. Listen to the Strokes song and then listen to the clip. The drums are live, at least I'm pretty sure. At :50 when the guitar disappears, you can hear Bono in a low voice singing lyrics. If you listen closely you can tell that it isn't the original (youtube) version of the song being played. It has to be either a studio jam by The Strokes that Bono is singing to or the rest of U2 is playing behind him. :scratch:

maybe U2 are going back to the Rattle & Hum days and will throw in some collaborations :D

I'm not a big fan of 409 anyway
if only because there wasn't enough 409 to become a fan of :shrug:

Here's my ideas

1. U2 just covering the song
2. U2 and the The Strokes recording the song together
3. Bono and the Strokes recording together
4. U2 bought the rights to the song for themselves

or something else :wink:

Screwtape2 said:
After listening to the clip in a clearer version ten times straight, I'm pretty sure this isn't Bono simply playing a recording. :eyebrow:
I think it is U2 playing the music for Bono. Listen to the Strokes song and then listen to the clip. The drums are live, at least I'm pretty sure. At :50 when the guitar disappears, you can hear Bono in a low voice singing lyrics. If you listen closely you can tell that it isn't the original (youtube) version of the song being played. It has to be either a studio jam by The Strokes that Bono is singing to or the rest of U2 is playing behind him. :scratch:

exactly. It's Bono's voice... And if it's Bono and that is his falsetto... :drool:

I clearly remember fake U2-songs before HTDAAB, so maybe all these are fakes? Maybe some guy wanted to make some new beach clips and pretend it is new U2? It would not surprise me. It has happened every time since POP. It would surprise me, however, if we not get any fake songs. Wasn't there even a fake cover last time? And even a fake name on the album?
But maybe U2 are covering Strokes in this song, and maybe the other songs are covers aswell. Maybe some of them are U2-songs. Who knows. Maybe these songs are not from the beach in Eze at all? Lots of maybe's.
In either case. I love these times, waiting, speculating about the new U2.

Last edited:
I know just the man to help us crack this case!

monk_lrg.jpg

:huh:

Sounds like Bono to me, and drums sound live. (in which case, Adam and Edge are likely playing along too) Is it possible both bands produced such a similar song?

Last edited:
the strokes were in nice last week playing a show, and i read on a strokes message board that bono was at the show.

bono's house in france is very close to nice. perhaps he invited the strokes over and they were jamming with u2. who knows.....i think this IS bono singing and he is singing a strokes song.

don't know whether anyone has mentioned this or I'm just crazy, but does any hear a discotheque-like riff about 10 seconds from the end of the song?

cg said:
the strokes were in nice last week playing a show, and i read on a strokes message board that bono was at the show.

bono's house in france is very close to nice. perhaps he invited the strokes over and they were jamming with u2. who knows.....i think this IS bono singing and he is singing a strokes song.

Perhaps they were also discussing the strokes opening for the unannounced tour dates (I'm keeping my fingers crossed any way I can. :giggle: )

Man, this is some crazy shit going on here. but either way, I still want to hear U2 perform this song! Cover or not!

I just listened to the 2 versions. I think it is Bono singing and the drums sound very different too.

Most importantly, the best part of the sng, the really transcendent part in the chorus isn't in the Strokes version......so what the heck is goin g on here!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe that Strokes guy met with U2, they said how much they liked the song, and he gave it to them to make their own/record/whatever? It happens all the time. I'm sure he'd still be credited for the song. It's just that the U2 version sounds too different to really be a cover.

U2girl said:
:huh:

Sounds like Bono to me, and drums sound live. (in which case, Adam and Edge are likely playing along too) Is it possible both bands produced such a similar song?

It sounds live to me too - the drums are more aggressive during some parts I think too. But there's no way that The Strokes and U2 came up with the EXACT SAME SONG by coincidence. if you play them over each other, they match up perfectly at times.

so, something else is going on here. Lancemc, your suggestion sounds plausible. Whatever is going on, I'm sure somewhere, U2 and The Strokes met, because like someone else said, I seriously doubt U2 found this unreleased song on the internet and decided to cover it because they were bored or something. if they wanted to cover a song, they could probably pick a song they didn't have to look for :wink:

Have you clowns ever thought that strokes song might be something they want to put out as a bside? Probably not:)

Yahweh said:
Have you clowns ever thought that strokes song might be something they want to put out as a bside? Probably not:)

I definitely thought about it. But how exactly does that change ANYTHING in this discussion? Album track or B-side it's still a mysterious track that we have no idea what's going on with.

Back
Top Bottom