be honest. is u2 still your favorite band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gickies Gageeze

Purgatory
i used to deny that radiohead was, because it just didnt seem right not to say u2.

but lately, ive come to this conclusion: u2 is my favorite band (barely) but i listed to radiohead, sigur ros, pumpkins, fsol, etc. more.

its kinda weird.

this loyalty i have for u2 is quite strong. and why rank? why do i feel like i need to say "this band ranks number 1 in my books, and this one two, and this one three, etc." ?

regardless of that, can you say that u2 is still your favorite band?

if not, who is? and when did it change?

I still consider U2 my favorite band.

I definately listen to lots of other bands/music more than U2 lately. Everytime they come out with a new album or tour, I'll go back to listening to a lot of U2.

I've been way into the whole indie/punk scene lately. Not much U2. I listened to Unforgettable Fire the other day though, that was about the first U2 album I've listened to in about 3 or 4 months. Sounded great.

thats the thing, whenever i do make time for a u2 album i enjoy it immensely. but the drive to actually put it on isnt there right now. its like i have to force myself to listen to them, which is quite odd.

and yes, a new tour and album should do the trick for me too.

Gickies Gageeze said:
thats the thing, whenever i do make time for a u2 album i enjoy it immensely. but the drive to actually put it on isnt there right now. its like i have to force myself to listen to them, which is quite odd.

I feel the same way. 100%

I keep on going through phases where I'll get immensely into one band, who ever it may be, and U2 will take a back seat. I'll end up going back to U2 with a new album or something.

I kinda like it this way, I dont get sick of U2, and I dont get sick of the other bands.

Bands that have taken my #1 listening spots at one point in time or another:
The Beatles
The Cure
Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine
Radiohead
Weezer
AFI

Gickies Gageeze said:

That's precisely it old fruit, precisely.

U2 is like the constant. I may not listen to them for a month, or maybe for a long time, but they are there in the background and I always end up going back. I enjoy lots of other stuff, but I haven't found one band or artist whose entire body of work and persona resonates with me quite like that of U2, on all the levels that it "works" for me.

Over the course of my illustrious :rolleyes: musical listening/playing career, I've at times been very wrapped up in any number of bands other than U2, from very diverse genres such as house, hiphop, jazz, reggae, alternative, rock, calypso, etc etc..

But as another poster mentioned, U2 is the constant. It has always been and will always be my favorite band ever. There is no equal in terms of bands that live forever for me.

U2 is my favourite band. I may not play them as much lately, but they're always there. There is a U2 song for every mood, for every situation. And I can't say that I know of any other badn like that. U2 has 'been there' through all the hard times and good.

It's sort of like family....you may hang out with other people, friends, more, but your family is always in the background. You apprecaite them, feel loyal towards them, and love them, despite what happens.

ok, larrymullen. i didnt know if it belonged here or in that other forum. this works just fine.

and sula, the idea of u2 being the constant is quite brilliant, i feel the same way.

U2 is definitely still my favourite band. I go through listening phases, when I'm "rediscovering" an album or whatever, but I always listen. I go through phases with other bands, too.. I may be obsessed with one new band for a day, a week, a month, then their music bores me. But I'm always happy to listen to U2, because even though it doesn't feel fresh or new or mindblowing, it's still wonderful, enjoyable music that doesn't get old.

I would say that U2 is my favorite band...but that is only because the rest of my music is generally electronic / ambient--i.e., they're not bands. I listened to Brian Eno's "Music for Airports" about three times yesterday...lol.

I've stopped categorizing, really. I still say U2 is my favorite, but I have so many other "favorites" as well.

Melon

U2 is still my favorite band and always will be. I listen to other music but nothing out there, with the possible exception of Coldplay, has ever given me what U2 has. I don't know if that makes sense but its the only way I can explain it.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
It's sort of like family....you may hang out with other people, friends, more, but your family is always in the background. You apprecaite them, feel loyal towards them, and love them, despite what happens.

I agree with you 100%. Whenever I have a problem with my friends, family, whatever- I listen to U2. I listen to them most of the time anyways, but when I have a problem that I can't tell anyone about, I listen to U2. Their music makes me think about who I am and where I want to go. It helps me to relax, but reminds me to keep working to acheive my dreams. They tell me, without actually talking to me that everything will be alright. When I am in a good mood, U2's music helps me to enjoy that good mood even more. U2 is a constant in my life, and I will listen to them for the rest of my life. I can lose friends, and i can lose family, but I can never lose music.

U2 is my favorite band because they are real, which I think is rare today, and they will always be my favorite band because of that.

Last edited:
there were times when i listen to another band for a certain amount of time, like when i saw The Cult in concert a few months ago, they were my favorite band for the moment. but u2 has always been in the background for me. they will always be my favorite band:heart:

I'm suprised most of you dare say U2 will ALWAYS be your favorite band.

I definitely cant say that. I just dont know what, or who may come along in the future. It's not all that likely that U2 will continue making a LOT of music, so I like to keep my options open.

I'm sure U2 will always be one of my absolute favorite bands, but I dont know. I dont want to limit myself to saying they'll always be my favorite. I keep on thinking of how young of a band Radiohead is, and how they could release something that totally wins me over. Any band could I guess.

I go through musical phases, sometimes I will listen to lots of U2 till I get a bit sick then I go into my ambient phase and listen to Enigma, Deep Forest, Chicane or my indie phase - Embrace, Coldplay, Stone Roses ect.. But I always go back now and again and listen to U2 and have liked them longer than any other band so in answer to your question YES :)

i tend to call a lot of things "one of my favourite bands". except for the beatles, i've never had a favourite band, and the only reason the beatles ever were my favourite was because they were the only band i was listening to at the time. but i actually told someone last week that u2 was my favourite band. and i think i meant it.

u2popmofo said:
I'm suprised most of you dare say U2 will ALWAYS be your favorite band.

I think some can very accurately state that. I believe that many of them have sealed their lifelong musical tastes - and honestly believe U2 will be their favorite band for a lifetime.

At a certain point, many do not pay attention to rising bands - my parents only listen to their favorites from when they were younger.

Yes. At the moment I'm listening to other music, but no doubt it will come back.

It wouldn't be possible for any other band to EVER match the difference U2 has made in my life. How I feel about their music and how it just gets me through is unexplainable. There is no other band with a greater history and a greater body of work. They are my favorite band. I go off on tangent routes and get into other bands. But I end up getting sick of those other bands, but I never get sick of U2. It's more than just liking the music...it's something inside that I can't really explain.

U2 is and ALWAYS shall be my favorite band. I got into them during my susceptible youth. I have grown and have molded my life with U2 their with me the whole way. I will like other bands as time goes on, but think about it. In 10 years when U2 will probably call it quits, I'll be 30. I can't see myself at 30, let at right now at 20, getting taken away by another band this way. It just can't happen. Whatever happens, they'll always be there with me. I just hope I can still listen to U2 when I'm 90.

Back
Top Bottom