Battle of the producers: Steve Lillywhite vs. Brian Eno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm ... my favourite albums are produced by Eno (UF and JT), but I think I actually prefer Lillywhite.

I am going with Eno, although I think Lillywhite is a great producer, but I like the history associated with Eno- from his days with Roxy Music to producing one of my all time favourite albums (David Bowie's 'Low') and then working with U2 and I have loved seeing the 'making of movies' for Uf and JT where you get to see how the man mixes it all up in the studio- I wish U2 released one of these docos for every album, I love seeing all of the behind the scenes technical stuff.

Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, Flood and The Edge are the best.

Lillywhite is better for mixing.

Well, i tihnk Eno is a much better producer, and i prefer his work with U2, but i really think Lillywhite might have nailed it with HTDAAB, and i'm sure it will be an extra special album because of him. BUT, Eno is always the bettr producer, just look at his track record (Roxy Music, Bowie, Talking Heads, his amazing solo work, U2 of course :))

So here's a synopsis, Eno is better, Im looking forward to Lillywhite in HTDAAB. MY alltime favorite producer however is Daniel Lanois, he's simply amazing. Plus, him and Eno combined are an unstoppable powerhouse of music. well, yeah, that's it.

Like Eno for UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, and ATYCLB
Like Lillywhite for Boy, October, War, and HTDAAB
Love Lanois - have a bit of a crush on him
:)

Which of this mix of names worked with Peter Gabriel on So, and on Us? Eno and Lanois?

I love "Us" to itty bitty pieces it's brilliant!

I keep feeling like it's Peter Gabriels achtung baby ( i wonder if he'd hate that, love it, or not give a crap...). It's an incredible statement about male-female relationships, tender and vulnerable and manly at once...very sexy!
a very centered energy, which I think eno --it was eno and lanois I'm almost sure...can bring...
cheers and g'night all!

Lillywhite goes for a better performance and does'nt care so much for technical perfection, as I think Eno and Lanois would go for more perfection.
Rock is not about technical perfection, it's about giving it your all in a performance.. If you want technical perfection, go listen to Beethoven.

That´s a hard question :hmm: specially considering some of their best songs has collaboration both from Eno-Lanois and Lillywhite, like With Or Without You, Where The Streets Have No Name and many others. Eno-Lanois produced such a great songs like "Bad", "Pride ( in the name of love )", "ISHFWILF" and many others, producing U2´s best albums like "Joshua Tree", "Unforgettable Fire" or "Acthung Baby", but also produced their second worst album (IMO) after "October": "ATYCLB", so I´m not sure :confused:

Also don´t forget Flood´s mixing !!!! :bow:

I like the Eno/Lanois produced record better, But since Mr.Lanois is missing here, I choose Steve.

But I really hope U2 will end their carrer
(sorry for writing that everyone but let's face it, it will happen hopefully not very soon :( :sad: )
with a Eno/Lanopis produced record and a unforgettable tour!

It would seem that I favor an Eno/Lanois album with traces of Lillywhite and Flood mixing. Someone on these boards bought to my attention a comment that Adam made concerning when he felt U2 began to made great albums. Apparently, he said something to the effect that the first real U2 album was the Joshua Tree and that everything before it was practice. Well, I agree with this comment only to the extent that I feel that the Unforgettable Fire was no practice album. I am more inclined to say that the first 3 were practices. The Eno/Lanois combo began to process of U2 transporting the listener to a specific place in their sound (not just with lyrics). The Unforgettable Fire and, more so, the Joshua Tree did this. Lillywhite is a great producer too, but he does not specialize in this "transportation" excercise that Eno/Lanois do very well.

Now of course, my opinion might reverse after I listen to the Atomic Bomb.

I like the sound and ambience U2 makes when Eno's at the helm, but I also like the raw energy and pseudo-punkness of the Lillywhite albums. So for me, they're tied.:wink:

Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois have produced U2's best three albums (UF, JT, and Achtung Baby), but if you notice, Lillywhite has mixed most of the standout songs on those albums....so one shouldn't really separate the two camps when evaluating the better producer. This new album should indeed be quite telling to this end.

perhaps this new album could reach an equilibrium as both Lillywhite and Eno are involved with the production of the album. (Although i think Brian Eno is only involved with the mixing this time round)

To answer the question though, i do prefer Eno/Lanois produced albums

Eno AND Lanois are the superior team. They produced U2's three best albums (UF, JT and AB).
However, I'm thrilled that U2 are going back to Lillywhite. They needed a kick in the ass and Lanois and Eno weren't going to provide it.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Eno AND Lanois are the superior team. They produced U2's three best albums (UF, JT and AB).
However, I'm thrilled that U2 are going back to Lillywhite. They needed a kick in the ass and Lanois and Eno weren't going to provide it.
Mathew - great minds to indeed think a like! By the way, The Slow Loris says hello. :wink:

what Page said about the kick in the ass.....I totally agree.

Eno actually PLAYED on 'Streets' and 'One', not to mention many others, so that gives him the upperhand as far as actual contribution from a producer to the actual music.

For all of the other stuff, I have to say I love that 84-93 U2 era so much that I couldn't pick Jesus himself over Eno as a favorite producer. Although I am convinved that Jesus would have fought harder for HMTMKMKM to go on Zooropa and for Babyface to be left off.
:wink:

Michael Griffiths said:

Mathew - great minds to indeed think a like! By the way, The Slow Loris says hello. :wink:

And hello to the Slow Loris. I'm going to hit Vancouver again on this tour. As well as Seattle...and Portland...and maybe one or two shows in California...

I'm going to go broke next year. :mad:

I hope to heck the ticket prices don't double again. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom