Battle of the Bloody Sundays...Red Rocks or Live Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
I was watching these two being sung as they were always meant to be sung...which one is the more defenite? Personally I love the Live Aid version...he just hits the nail on the head

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Rattle and Hum blows both of them away...

Fuck the revolution!!!

:bow:

Correct my dear friend. I'm yet to hear a version that comes close to that one. And I've heard a few.

Popmart's take was great.

Beetween these two I take the Red Rocks-

But my favorite must be the 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford. Bono have never sing the song so good on any other show :)
w w w. send space.com/file/ehx9sq

Also the the 1992-08-16 - WC version is also a good version, very special.
w w w . send space.com/file/7qc3fp

out of the two i prefer red rocks. cause face it, the Live Aid version is only special because........................................wait what the fuck was my point? hell never mind, JT deluxe set being released YYYYYAAAAAAYYYYY HHHHHHHOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Of the two choices I always liked the Red Rocks version better. The Live Aid performance was special because it was Live Aid, but I wasn't hugely impressed with their performance on it's own.

COBL_04 said:

I'm not even going to look but I'll guess that involves a president. :wink:

no - you're wrong. It's worth a look - but the presidents version I of course also posted - the second one...

Aygo said:
Rattle And Hum version is not here, so I'm gonna choose Red Rocks version... I hate that "Shhhhhunday" of the Live Day.
Yeah, what the hell is it with the "Shhhhhunday" business at Live Aid? I've never heard it sound this way before. Perhaps Bono was using a different mike on that day, not his normal one. Who knows, but I always thought it was way out of left field given the other few hundred versions of the song I've heard. One thing for sure Larry's snare drum has never sounded so great as it does at Live Aid.

I love both, but have to go with Live Aid; have no idea why, I just think the passion Bono has on that day when performing is amazing.

Lol, the "Shhhhhunnday" doesn't annoy me nearly as much as "where the shhhheets have no name" from Boston. I can't even watch that performance in its entirety! Once the sheets make an appearance, I have to flick to the next song!

But back to SBS: Rattle and Hum :drool: just blows every other performance away (though I do love the Conspiracy of Hope and Pop versions) :)

AndrewCowley said:

Yeah, what the hell is it with the "Shhhhhunday" business at Live Aid? I've never heard it sound this way before. Perhaps Bono was using a different mike on that day, not his normal one. Who knows, but I always thought it was way out of left field given the other few hundred versions of the song I've heard. One thing for sure Larry's snare drum has never sounded so great as it does at Live Aid.

Hey had just end a long tour and Bono's voice was a a little worn out...

Forced to seperate the two....ad say Red Rocks is superior. Live Aid version was amongst the poorest performances of that era IMHO.
Red Rocks pales in comparison to many other perfomances of the song.
The 00's versions have been played at too slow a tempo for my liking

From these two, definitely Red Rocks, although everyone knows that Bush's version is the best:wink:

Sorry folks but the Live Aid version was weak at best...not to mention completely overshadowed by the incredible version of "Bad" that followed it.

europop2005 said:
the drumming in Live Aid is better though
For the Live Aid performance there was something different about how Larry's drums were set up. They sound way different to anything I've heard from U2 live before. Given that Live Aid was shared between many bands perhaps the mikes, effects and so on weren't what U2 usually use.

wow. bono's voice really did sore during the amnesty tour in 86.. i wonder how many tracks he laid down for the joshua tree when his voice was like that????

david said:
wow. bono's voice really did sore during the amnesty tour in 86.. i wonder how many tracks he laid down for the joshua tree when his voice was like that????
Yeah, but haven't we all accepted that this was the period when he was destroying his voice by singing this way? In hindsight it doesn't seem real smart to me. Yes his JT and Lovetown voice did sound great (not always; there is the famous 'kermit' voice during the JT tour) but look at the after effect.

AndrewCowley said:

Yeah, but haven't we all accepted that this was the period when he was destroying his voice by singing this way? In hindsight it doesn't seem real smart to me. Yes his JT and Lovetown voice did sound great (not always; there is the famous 'kermit' voice during the JT tour) but look at the after effect.

but it was worth it - moments of pur magic. And one we will see on DVD in short time. That voice during that time made me a fan - somtimes he sang like there was no tomorrow. So much power and strengh in his voice. I think the Paris concert can make new fans - it thrilling to see what a stage-god he was these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbke8BGyVNw
:drool:

perrypickwick said:

but it was worth it - moments of pur magic. And one we will see on DVD in short time. That voice during that time made me a fan - somtimes he sang like there was no tomorrow. So much power and strengh in his voice. I think the Paris concert can make new fans - it thrilling to see what a stage-god he was these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbke8BGyVNw
:drool:
Agreed. But that 'stage god' thing you mention was mostly due to his willingness to make those 80's big statements between songs. Bono simply doesn't 'give out' this much any more. I'm not being critical. Just a reflection on how times change and how long this band has been around for.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
... take the version from Croke Part III in Dublin '05, a nice one, too ...

...and if I have to decide inbetween Red Rocks or Live Aid I definetly opt for Red Rocks. This performance was fresh, the song being played on the proper album's tour. Now bein an icon, Bono's stage movements and the belting out of "... this is not a rebel song .." is perfect – as was the speed of the tune. On Live Aid, the clear highlight was "Bad" and nothing else, "Sunday" already has had the status of the Greatest Hit it still has until today ...

remember how young he was.. and he probably didnt give a ff.... but he was so young and up onstage and felt he had everything to give..

if we were that young and onstage we probably would have done what he did..

give everything we had inside of us.

Back
Top Bottom