Battle of the bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well lets put a VS up against which bands reign supreme in their genre (note many artists overlap several genres)

rock and roll

u2 vs sting and the police , r.e.m, powderfinger and creed - u2 wins because of their staying power and ability to get away with the fact they do not repeat the same song twice over 20 years

alternative rock and roll

radiohead vs nirvana, r.e.m, smashing pumpkins, pearl jam, red hot chilli peppers- radiohead - just, but only slightly over the pumpkins, who also knew the right balance

creativity in music

david bowie vs pink floyd, the pixies radiohead- bowie for his stayability, the ability to transform himself with the times

best britpop bands

the beatles v the stones, radiohead, the verve, the stones, the who, oasis- the beatles hold the edge because of their overwhelming popularity in the decade

best pop band
depeche mode v joy division, new order- depeche mode wins in a tough genre. though im not really sure they are 'pop' anymore, what the guitars they've been using since 'songs of faith and devotion'

best aussie band

crowded house v powderfinger, regurgitator, paul kelly, cold chisel, midnight oil, hoodoo gurus

crowded house would win, there's some good music here

best female band
the cranberries v pj harvey, garbage, portishead, eurythmics, roxette, madonna, portishead

pj harvey wins barely, madonna for the staying power and the videos :p

best trip hop band

massive attack v portishead- massive attack wins, but beth gibbons has one heck of a voice

best ambient artist
aphex twin v autoechre, moby

aphex twin for its sheer curiousity value

best hard band
tool v rage against the machine, sepultura, slipknot, korn, limp bizkit

tool would win because of the singer's voice: and slipknot, korn, limp bizkit are really bands for kids, hey?

best one man band

NIN v aphex twin, VAST

NIN's trent reznor is just ahead, VAST looks like a flash in the pan after a moderate follow up to Visual Audio Sensory Theatre

i don't like Creed , so boring , no voice
Sting & Police .. i'm not so sure if they're in Rock&roll

Anyway , all these "terms" are useless , and have nothing to do with real Music , you can't just to sort it out , cause if you will , you ' ll get such pop-commercial products as : N'Sync , Creed , Matchbox 20 , Tool , Britney Spears , BonJovi , Robbie Williams

Robbie Williams? I don't think you guys get him there at all but.....he's not a commercial product, no more than anyone else. He's an incredibly emotive singer and a great writer. He also has a heart of gold.
Well that's what I think. Listen to his records & you won't be disappointed.
And yes, I am being serious, I may have to become his prime defender around here.
biggrin.gif

Oh, and Tool a pop commercial product? What have you been smoking???

Robbie is like Madonna
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

OK-POP-STAR
all these so-called "rock bands "

Maybe you even like Poison , Motley Crew , and Twisted Sister ???!!

Looking for places where no flowers grow ....
MOFO ... Sucking Rock&Roll

Haha....ok I'm in the mood to argue! Robbie a popstar? Well pop/rock whatever, the fact is he has substance. Just because he has a sense of humour ( or shock horror, irony ) and he's an entertainer doesn't mean he can't be an artist as well. I don't see the correlation between him and Madonna. I can't stand Madonna anyway. But I agree with you, I don't like categorising people either. Good music is good music and I think sometimes we over-analyse things.
smile.gif

And why would I like Motley Crue et al???

Let's not argue. CrashedCarDriver has obviously been giving these things a lot of thought
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mock the silence while you can.

hey luv lady, thanks for cheering me up by categorising muppet boy as emotive. Funniest thing Ive heard all day! I'll be sure to catch him on the pantomime circuit in a couple of years time. See you there!

------------------
'Closer than ever to everybody's wife'

[This message has been edited by Slapnutz (edited 09-15-2001).]

I'm glad I amused you!
smile.gif

Why don't you like him? Why oh why? I'm exasperated!
And he is emotive, listen to Angels or Eternity or Better Man or practically anything else he's written. He bares his soul in his music. Don't worry, I will help you see the light. I will.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom