Bashing Stupid Bashers of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
neutral said:

edited the edited quote :tongue:

:lol: I just PMed you about that! Great minds think alike.

And yes, I'm sneaky with this AIM business. :shifty:

Some of these 'bashings' are simply :lmao:

LJT said:

I bet you the newspaper loves Coldplay:wink:

Another thing that bugs me from some U2 haters is that their own favourite band if one of the following: Radiohead/Coldplay/Travis/The Killers/Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave (the last two because Morello is a massive Edge fan)

Well all these bands have taken influence and inspiration from U2, so i do not understand how they can hate U2..i am not saying they should like them, but respect for U2s music would be nice...

Yeah I hate that! I mean if you don't like U2 fine, but you should at least respect that their talent influenced YOUR favourite band. Especially Coldplay :huh: frankly I don't understand how Coldplay fans could NOT like U2, there days they're basically the same thing except one is obviously better :wink:

My personal favourite criticism that I've heard is:
"U2 aren't smart enough to write songs about BIBLE verses!!"

I didn't even argue because the stupidity was too perfect.

Another "criticism" I often get about U2 is *drumroll please*... "U2 are old."

Wow, thanks for that insight. I guess I should stop listening to them because old people suck.

Ironically, only about half the people will give this criticism, the other people don't realize U2 existed before Beautiful Day. I met one person who thought Vertigo was by a new band :huh:

LJT said:

'U2s fifteen minutes of fame are up'- someone said this in response to the whole Lola Cashman thing....if nearly 30 years on top is fifteen minutes of fame, i want it:wink:

Who the fuck said that? I hope they were under 13, if not, their IQ certainly was.

Unless of course, they were talking about U2's fame being up in the current Vertigo incarnation :shrug:

Also, I don't get why we should dwell on people hating U2--we maybe more sensitive to when someone dislikes our favorite band but it's not just U2 that has haters. In my experience most people I've met at least kinda like them. But you know, people hate the Beatles, they hate Radiohead, they hate Bowie, they hate all sorts of stuff. Of course some people are going to dislike U2.

Re: Re: Bashing Stupid Bashers of U2

Lemonfix said:

Also, I don't get why we should dwell on people hating U2--we maybe more sensitive to when someone dislikes our favorite band but it's not just U2 that has haters. In my experience most people I've met at least kinda like them. But you know, people hate the Beatles, they hate Radiohead, they hate Bowie, they hate all sorts of stuff. Of course some people are going to dislike U2.

Yah, another thing is the "haters" are in the minority--they are just more ''vocal" and more likely to use the Internet as a soapbox.

Re: Re: Re: Bashing Stupid Bashers of U2

kimby said:

Yah, another thing is the "haters" are in the minority--they are just more ''vocal" and more likely to use the Internet as a soapbox.

Yeah, and when you really love something, it seems like you really notice when other people do not. If I simply liked U2 I would probably think that almost everyone likes them, as well (look at how they sell out arenas all over the world!) But because they mean so much to me, the criticism and the haters stick out, and you tend to take it more personally.

"Bono only does Africa/AIDS activism when U2 has a new album out, and does it to promote himself and the band's releases"

LJT said:

where did you here the 'only gays like u2' line? that is a tad out of whack:huh:

I know some people that think that U2 fans are the kind of the majority of Madonna or Elton John fans. Some people really think that U2 fans are gays or desperated girls. Trully. :madspit: :huh: :angry: :grumpy: :banghead:

A real man listens fifty cents, limp bizkit, linkin park, good charlotte and eminem :rockon:

:barf: :shocked: :shame:

It's all nothing really, the worst I see here is:
"HTDAAB is nothing more than ATYCLBpart2"...
...and all the bashing HTDAAB gets by putting it in the same bag with ATYCLB...
Every fan knows only ATYCLB deserves all the bashing, not HTDAAB. :)

LJT said:

You wouldn't have seen that comment on the BBCs teletext thing by any chance?:wink:

The argument on 'The Vibe' that seems to have started because someone dared to suggest that Johnny Marr was inspired by Edge? I read some of those comments, there seemed to quite a few comments along the lines of "Edge is a one-trick pony". Now out of all the things you could criticise Edge for (I can't think of anything but I know nothing about what makes a good guitar player), that to me seems bizarre because it clearly isn't true!

The other good one was that "Marr can't have been inspired by The Edge because Marr is the better player". I can't comment on Marr's playing ability 'cos of what I said above and 'cos I've only heard 'How Soon Is Now' ( :drool: ). But supposing that Marr is the better player, what does that prove? A person's ability doesn't affect how inspired they are by someone really.

TheQuiet1 said:

The argument on 'The Vibe' that seems to have started because someone dared to suggest that Johnny Marr was inspired by Edge? I read some of those comments, there seemed to quite a few comments along the lines of "Edge is a one-trick pony". Now out of all the things you could criticise Edge for (I can't think of anything but I know nothing about what makes a good guitar player), that to me seems bizarre because it clearly isn't true!

The other good one was that "Marr can't have been inspired by The Edge because Marr is the better player". I can't comment on Marr's playing ability 'cos of what I said above and 'cos I've only heard 'How Soon Is Now' ( :drool: ). But supposing that Marr is the better player, what does that prove? A person's ability doesn't affect how inspired they are by someone really.

The Smiths i think formed around 82 and there was a comment made by Marr stating that U2 were one of the bands he was listening to at the time:shrug:

I am not really sure if you can call that 'influence' but it at least shows Marr likes and respects U2..

LJT said:

You wouldn't have seen that comment on the BBCs teletext thing by any chance?:wink:

Lmao, yes, how did you know? I saw a few stupid comments on there bout Edge - I sent some back but they ignored me. Bastards. *shakes fist*

The comments about him not being as good as whoever are daft because so many of those people mentioned think Edge IS an ace guitarist. So I mean... whatever.

chickadee said:

I sent some back but they ignored me. Bastards. *shakes fist*

:lmao: But on a positive note there have been quite a few nice comments about U2. OK, I saw one yesterday. But it's better than the usual "U2 R a bunch of boring old geezers, put 'em out to pasture! [insert name of either an obscure band no-one else will have heard of or name of latest chart toppers here] RuLeZ!!!!!" comments on there. The tide is turning in our favour at last!

Lol! Yeah. Maybe they saw through my attempts to be portrayed as a serious u2 fan when all I obviously want is to be a fangirl over them all. *rolls eyes*

:confused: sorry but I don't get what you mean. If it's something I said in my last post then I didn't mean any offence but if it has offended you then I'm sorry.

TheQuiet1 said:
:confused: sorry but I don't get what you mean. If it's something I said in my last post then I didn't mean any offence but if it has offended you then I'm sorry.

Noooo I wasn't meaning you - I was just being sarcastic about the people who think I only like u2 because I fancy them or something ;)

MrBrau1 said:
Who cares? Give the disrespecters a hearty "eat me" and revel in the knowledge U2 are an amazing band, and those that don't think so, are really missing out.

That just about sums up my thought on this subject....Why hell are people still hating on U2...after 25 years of amazing years of awesome rock/alternitave/pop music they still are not getting the respect they deserve:mad: ???? I have heard all the negitive comments about U2 and I know that it is all :censored:

chickadee said:

Noooo I wasn't meaning you - I was just being sarcastic about the people who think I only like u2 because I fancy them or something ;)

Phew! I thought you might be but I just wanted to make sure.

Carmelu2fan said:

That just about sums up my thought on this subject....Why hell are people still hating on U2...after 25 years of amazing years of awesome rock/alternitave/pop music they still are not getting the respect they deserve:mad: ???? I have heard all the negitive comments about U2 and I know that it is all :censored:

Its funny the amount of misconceptions that are held about U2.....you know i never once thought of Bono as being arrogant or overly pretentious, before i came on the internet and then i noticed the amount of abuse he gets :huh: when i watched Rattle and Hum, it never came across once at all as being pretentious to me, even though that is what it gets criticised most for...i didn't have any issue at all about Bono saying they were taking Helter Skelter back from Charles Manson.....i thought it was very cool:wink:

LJT said:

Its funny the amount of misconceptions that are held about U2.....you know i never once thought of Bono as being arrogant or overly pretentious, before i came on the internet and then i noticed the amount of abuse he gets :huh: when i watched Rattle and Hum, it never came across once at all as being pretentious to me, even though that is what it gets criticised most for...i didn't have any issue at all about Bono saying they were taking Helter Skelter back from Charles Manson.....i thought it was very cool:wink:

:yes: Same here. I find a lot of the stuff Bono gets criticized for, where people think he's arrogant of pretentious, comes across as Bono just joking around to me. I just think he has a great sense of humour about himself and the whole fame thing. Unfortunately, not everyone gets the joke.:slant:

:bono: :hug:

TheQuiet1 said:

Phew! I thought you might be but I just wanted to make sure.

Lol! No worries. I mean, I DO fancy them, but that's a side issue. Heh.

LJT - yeah, I think people mix up Bono's stage and screen persona with the real person. He's obviously not like he is in real life when he's performing - you can't possibly be or else you'd go mad. And reading that book of conversations is good, it's getting to see what he's really like.

LJT said:

That is so true, LTJ(on the whole point of him being stuck on himself) I think ppl only say that about Bono because he speaks his mind and most celebs are not like(way too cool and self absorbed) So critics think he is being arrogant....I cannot name a hand full of celebs that have been fighting for a good cause for nearly as many years as Bono has, he is not doing this (speaking for the extream poor)for any kind of public approval, he does this beacuse he cares and , I truly belive that he wants to help:up:

People just know very little of U2 as the individual people they are.....i mean none of my mates knew Bono has been married for what 22/23 years now and that he has own kids.....and they know even less about how long he has worked on the different projects he is involved in....

Another criticism that i have often heard which is idiotic is...'U2 are very pretentious i mean who names themselves The Edge and Bono..it's something a young teenager would do...'

News for whoever says that The Edge did not name himself Bono did, and i believe Bono was named by Gavin Friday...and oh yeh they were given these names when they were 15/16...:madspit:

That is one of the reasons why I respect Bono so much , he has been with Ali from the start the same with Larry and Ann....So once again you are right LTJ...also they got there VERY cool names way back in high school:yes:

here's one i've heard from an acquaintance:

"i hate U2...bono thinks he's jesus"

i think it's funny (and lame) how some people's dislike of u2 is not based on the music, but based on their perception that they think bono thinks he's jesus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom