Barak's annoucement theme song today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bill clinton had much more political experience than barak obama, not to mention he was one of the greatest political minds of all time.

barak obama has yet to do anything to suggest that he should be president of the united states other than be good looking, great at giving speaches and obviously a very smart guy. there's a lot of really smart guys who can give good speeches and are good looking, doesn't mean they should be president.

now we're a still a loooooong way from the election, and obama certainly could prove that he's worthy in that time. what's wrong with asking someone to prove it?

his potential is exciting, yes. but potential doesn't always a good president make. he could certainly get my vote next november... but i'm not getting excited over a freshman senator with a limited track record. let him prove it.

I agree with Headache. It's great to have a potential candidate people are genuinely excited about, though.

This morning on CBS Sunday Morning, Jim Warren from the Chicago Tribune told how a Japanese news crew called and asked to interview him about Obama. He asked why they were interested, and they said something like, "He is young, he is black, he is a different face of America." And on MSNBC, someone made the point that he's African and an American, not "just" an African-American, which adds a whole new dimension into the issue of diversity.

Let's face it: if Americans voted on resumes, Bush 43 would never have made it. Neither would Bill Clinton.
Given that standard, Bush 41 would have been elected to a second term, since he had decades of international experience. We simply don't vote on qualifications -- and too many of us don't vote at all. THAT's the real problem.

But trying to get this back to U2, I was in Chicago this week and the city at night is all lit up (they still have the Christmas lights on Michigan Avenue). It really does look like COBL. Beautiful city!

It's an advantage in 2007 not to be a Washington insider. People are sick to death of Washington insiders, and that's one reason for the interest in Senator Obama. There's nothing wrong with being excited about someone who is new and possibly exciting. Bill Clinton did so much with that hope thing, he was even from Hope. Maybe he even originated the audacity of hope. So what Senator Obama's qualifications are remain to be seen and proven and analyzed, but that doesn't automatically make him an invalid candidate. Sometimes character and audacity and attitude can count just as much as experience can.

How many times have experienced politicians run for President numerous times and lost? Their experience didn't count for all that much when all was said and done.

Senator Obama was also against the war from day one, according to all reports.

2861U2 said:

As far as the deficit and economy goes, the deficit has been cut in half over the past 3 years, the economy is booming, and unemployment is down. Where on earth do you get that the economy is bad?

And no, Iraq has nothing to do with Clinton. Clinton did have something to do with Bin Laden, on the other hand...

Your statement regarding the deficit says everything. Seriously,
have you read a newspaper? New York City has a clock displayed which ticks off the national debt by the second. But first let me back up for you.... remember when Bush took office? He started with a a SURPLUS... thank you Bill Clinton!! that means NO DEBT. Now check it out:
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

U.S. NATIONAL DEBT CLOCK
The Outstanding Public Debt as of 11 Feb 2007 at 04:06:44 PM GMT is: 8,718,026,977,562.70

The estimated population of the United States is 300,934,715
so each citizen's share of this debt is $28,969.83.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$1.57 billion per day since September 29, 2006!
Concerned? Then tell Congress and the White House!

Clinton had something to do w/BinLaden? Ya, like trying to kill him when he had the chance and then being chastised for it for wagging the dog.
Bush on the other hand seems to think catching him is not as important and in his own words said " you know honestly, I just don't spend that much time on it" (regarding finding binladen.)
Plus the infamous memo that was handed to him that said in AUG. 2001 verbadum that "Bin Laden determined to attack on US soil"
That's a fact. Condy Rice testafied during the 9/11 hearings regarding that memo.

And to everyone else, I am not supporting Obama because he likes U2. Come off it! I brought the news bit here to fellow fans of U2 because I thought it was interesting and a bonus for those of us who like both. Sorry if I offended anybody with my excitement!
It's just been so long and my heart has been broken so terribly by this admin ( you have no idea) and what they have done/not done for our country I feel some hope for a change. And when I heard COBL, it just made me smile.
Yes, part of me is holding my breath in regards to Obama, but maybe I am a little desperate to find that bright light from a spark, but I just think that he has a lot to offer EVERYONE,
therefore I got excited.
Ok, carry on!
Oh ya, U2 rocks! :rockon:

Jeannieco said:

Your statement regarding the deficit says everything. Seriously,
have you read a newspaper? New York City has a clock displayed which ticks off the national debt by the second. But first let me back up for you.... remember when Bush took office? He started with a a SURPLUS... thank you Bill Clinton!! that means NO DEBT. Now check it out:
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

U.S. NATIONAL DEBT CLOCK
The Outstanding Public Debt as of 11 Feb 2007 at 04:06:44 PM GMT is: 8,718,026,977,562.70

The estimated population of the United States is 300,934,715
so each citizen's share of this debt is $28,969.83.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$1.57 billion per day since September 29, 2006!
Concerned? Then tell Congress and the White House!

Clinton had something to do w/BinLaden? Ya, like trying to kill him when he had the chance and then being chastised for it for wagging the dog.
Bush on the other hand seems to think catching him is not as important and in his own words said " you know honestly, I just don't spend that much time on it" (regarding finding binladen.)
Plus the infamous memo that was handed to him that said in AUG. 2001 verbadum that "Bin Laden determined to attack on US soil"
That's a fact. Condy Rice testafied during the 9/11 hearings regarding that memo.

?

I'm not saying we don't have a deficit. We have a huge deficit. All I said was it has been cut in half in the past 3 years, which is a huge accomplishment. You know what wont help the deficit? The minimum wage increase passed by your Democratic Congress. Well done Pelosi and co.

Bin Laden is the world's biggest terrorist. If Clinton would have accepted the offer, I'd say being criticized a little is a small price to pay to receive Bin Laden.

And again as far as the deficit goes, there have been a couple wars in the past few years which have been somewhat expensive...

Guys, save the political discussions for FYM. This thread was just to point out that he used a U2 song.

t8thgr8 said:
defensive much?

Look up Obamas history pre-illinois. Dont cram him down peoples throats just because youve heard a few speeches and praise him a bit more because he used a song from a band that a majority of the population is into. Politics are too much for some people. Heres something from u2, maybe ill get some followers: Nothing's as simple as you think.

Hey, if you are directin that at me....did you read the very first post I opened this with?

I was simply expressing my genuine excitement over the coupling of two of my favorite things. A u2 song and somebody that represents what I think U2 stands for also!
I don't care who you vote for....
I am excited about Obama. Simple dude! Chill.

Also...later in the thread I was simply defending the charge to explain what Obama has done. I did not open this topic up to try and "recruit" people

Now it's a free for all, political debate which is going nowhere fast.
:|

Headache in a Suitcase said:
bill clinton had much more political experience than barak obama, not to mention he was one of the greatest political minds of all time.

barak obama has yet to do anything to suggest that he should be president of the united states other than be good looking, great at giving speaches and obviously a very smart guy. there's a lot of really smart guys who can give good speeches and are good looking, doesn't mean they should be president.

now we're a still a loooooong way from the election, and obama certainly could prove that he's worthy in that time. what's wrong with asking someone to prove it?

his potential is exciting, yes. but potential doesn't always a good president make. he could certainly get my vote next november... but i'm not getting excited over a freshman senator with a limited track record. let him prove it.

As much as I'd love to be on the Obama wagon 100%, I really do have to agree with this. He's got time to make a true believer out of me. I'm not tied to any one candidate just yet.

Thats just it! It DOES pay to not be a Washington insider in 2007. Thats why Barack Hussein Obama is gonna strike while the irons hot and while he can sneak in. Then it WILL hit the fan. Anybody can SAY whatever they want but I believe he has a pretty big ulterior motive. I wish he was legit and I had something to look forward to but I dont trust him.

t8thgr8 said:
Thats just it! It DOES pay to not be a Washington insider in 2007. Thats why Barack Hussein Obama is gonna strike while the irons hot and while he can sneak in. Then it WILL hit the fan. Anybody can SAY whatever they want but I believe he has a pretty big ulterior motive. I wish he was legit and I had something to look forward to but I dont trust him.

Please excuse me, but OH MY FREAKING GOD.

t8thgr8 said:

:barf:

My wife and I are HUGE Barack fans and will be giving money to the campaign. And, he has great taste in music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom