Bands who sound like U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why would you want to do that ? If i wanted to listen to u2 i'd listen to the real thing.

Gonna Run 2 U said:
Are there any bands (particularly lesser known) who actually do sound a lot like U2? I'd like to check them out.

[Self-advertising]

I wrote a song with my ex-band that had a guitar part (originally) inspired by the earlier U2 material. So If you listen to the lead parts, which I played, you can probably tell how influenced that song was by the early U2 sound. It's called Loyalty for Sale and we recorded it just for funs and it didn't turn out too well I suppose. I'm extremly happy with the guitar sound, though.

On Tune - Myspace

[/Self-advertising]

don't mean to digress, but i just thought i'd add that i really don't understand why some reviews say that coldplay sound like U2. i honestly can't see it....

tuwie said:
don't mean to digress, but i just thought i'd add that i really don't understand why some reviews say that coldplay sound like U2. i honestly can't see it....

I agree 100%...thats one of the reasons I started this thread. I was wondering if there were any bands who actually sound similar to U2 (another artists who are called "similar" = Radiohead, im not a big fan of them). Any perhaps unsigned bands I wouldnt mind listening to with a U2 sound.

Last edited:
Coldplay (sorry, but some of their songs do, especially Unforgettable Fire era)

Snow Patrol's last album (Shut Your Eyes, Open Your Eyes)

Keane's last album (Is It Any Wonder, Crystal Ball)

Killer's Last Album (Bling especially)

Well, I think James can sound "similar" to U2, very similar at times. But I still think they have enough of their own sound to make me like them on their own.

Check out the entire "Laid" album, or the song "Don't Wait That Long" off the "Seven" album, or the song "Play Dead" off the "Whiplash" album.

Angel's and Airwaves especially. The delay guitars are on a bunch of tracks on the new album I-Empire, but the song the adventure (on their first album) sounds alot like a streets type. But i'm sure most of you would hate the voice but meh.... i like em.

And radiohead doesn't really sound like them, they just went heavily experimental like U2 did...

Last edited:
Rosebud said:

omg, I truly think "Is It Any Wonder" has effects straight off of Even Better Than The Real Thing!

LOL holy shit you are right the beginning it sounds like an alternate version of EBTTRT. Thats crazy but it is a cool songs!

PS coldplay doesnt sound much like U@ but what reminds me of u2 are some of the atmospheric sounds in some of their songs but let me tell you if you haven't yet heard spell a rebel (i forgot exact name) the B-side to violet hill, that is remarkably similar to mothers of the disappeared. Almost too similar!

....huh. Ironic much? :uhoh:

Angels and Airwaves is okay I guess, but if anyone could be called guilty of ripping off the style, techniques and sound of somebody else, it'd be them, or at least their guitarist. They should start paying Edge royalties for crying out loud. Emo'fied U2 is what they're trying to be, IMHO.

Keane sound a lot like U2, their singer often tries to sound like Bono. Coldplay sound like U2 a lot, especially on their latest songs, the new album is produced by Brian Eno after all. There are many similarities with other bands as well.

bsp77 said:
Coldplay (sorry, but some of their songs do, especially Unforgettable Fire era)

Snow Patrol's last album (Shut Your Eyes, Open Your Eyes)

Keane's last album (Is It Any Wonder, Crystal Ball)

Killer's Last Album (Bling especially)

you know i really enjoyed that snow patrol album, right up until they played chasing cars and open your eyes for the millionth fucking time on radio.

There is a huge Kiwi band called OpShop and the lead singer, Jason Kerrison, has often been commented on for sounding similar to Bono.....they have great music too! :yes:

FitzChivalry said:
Well, I think James can sound "similar" to U2, very similar at times. But I still think they have enough of their own sound to make me like them on their own.

Check out the entire "Laid" album, or the song "Don't Wait That Long" off the "Seven" album, or the song "Play Dead" off the "Whiplash" album.

Wasn`t the "Laid" album also produced by our old friend Brian Eno ? I think so...

Angels and Airwaves sound a lot like U2. The band was started by Tom DeLonge from blink-182. And being as blink-182 is one of my other favorite bands (that's where the "18" part of my screenname comes from), and I blame Tom for them breaking up and am really really mad at him... I can't help it, they're really good, and U2 influence is totally evident. Also, Tom wants to be Bono so bad, but is doing so without any of Bono's humour or irony and it's sortof painful to watch.

/blink-nerd

I hate to continue this, but Longwave and Sleeping at last are both influnced by and sound "like" U2. Especially Longwave. The Longwave singer is really bad though.

gman said:
I checked out OpShop and Remy Zero....and they are nothing like u2 or Bono in any way shape or form!

That's just your individual opinion. Sometimes if you go looking for something you search so hard, you miss the little bits. Guess it depends on what you were listening to etc. BUT The singer from OpShop has in the past sounded a lot like Bono. I know I initially stopped in my tracks a few years ago with one of their songs. It was the first time I heard it and I thought Bono had released a new single :lol: This was backed up by various quarters expressing the same thought throughout the media, and in general. Jason's later vocals have lost their 'Bononess' though :shrug:

Oh, and OpShop don't sound like U2 - agreed :wink:

Go back to the 80's, there were several bands labelled with U2 who had the 'big sound' at that time.

Try some of the following

Simple Minds - Sparkle in the rain (particularly Waterfront) and Once upon a time, if you like 90's U2 check out there early stuff, songs such as New Gold Dream, Theme for great cities, The American, Glittering prize, I travel etc

Big Country - The Crossing and Steeltown, songs such as Fields of Fire , Chance, In a big country, The Storm, Wonderland, Just a shadow

The Alarm - 1st 2 albums were good, best songs were Sixty Eight Guns, Where were you hiding when the storm broke, Blaze of glory, Absolute Reality, Strength

There are probably more which i can't remember right now from this era

Back
Top Bottom