Band is indecisive about the tracklist - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Band is indecisive about the tracklist

From U2log.com:
"Donít be surprised if the new U2 song youíve heard on the internet (recorded in the wild winds of Dublin) doesnít make it to the new album. Reliable sources tell us that the band are being indecisive about which songs to include on the new album and have not yet finalized the tracklist. In an effort to come to a final decision, the band have left Dublin for a location tható we hope, we prayóis conducive to good decision making."

Just put the rock songs in and the pop ATYCLB-like songs out!

Old 07-13-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:19 PM
So if they have extra songs, we may actually get decent b-sides, rather than endless remixes!

Old 07-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:19 PM
you knew there wasn't going to be clearsailing once the album once finished. Just another hiccup in this new album journey.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:19 AM
*sigh*
Old 07-13-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
So if they have extra songs, we may actually get decent b-sides, rather than endless remixes!
Where were the endless remixes on the ATYCLB singles? There was a load of original tracks from the same recordings...
Old 07-13-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
Refugee

You rock, Martha! You're the champion of b-sides and I don't think enough people out there appreciate that. I wish U2 put out more (and I hate to say it, better) b-sides. Oasis has b-sides that make you wonder why those songs weren't on the album, I wish U2 did more of that and obviously, so do you.

I hail you, Queen of the B-side!

ALL HAIL MARTHA!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

We bow to you, Queen Martha !
Old 07-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Well, choosing tracks for the album is much better news than making tracks for the album Just one step closer to completion!

"Just put the rock songs in and the pop ATYCLB-like songs out!"

Nah, just because it's a rock song doesn't mean it'll fit in with the record. Heck, I think "Big Girls Are Best" is a better song than "Peace on Earth," but would that have fit on ATYCLB? Absolutely not I'd much rather have a great album than a collection of great singles
Old 07-13-2004, 03:55 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Martha!

B-sides.

As for remixes, yes there were loads of remixes on the ATYCLB singles (on one of the Stuck... singles, on the Elevation singles) and few real B-sides (not live versions, covers or redone tracks). The only extra songs were Always, Summer Rain and Big Girls Are Best.

C ya!

Marty
Old 07-13-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
Always, Summer Rain and Big Girls Are Best.

Always: a sort-of alternate version of BD really
SR: included with ATYCLB if you bought the fancy edition
Big Girls: a Pop leftover

Thank you fans.

I don't mind the live tracks of songs we've already heard, but I like new music!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:21 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:

WORD
Old 07-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #12
War Child

The flip-side to this of course is that the band recognizes that they may have really good material to work with in a future album. After listening to All Because of You, I do feel that u2 took the core of She's Gonna Blow Your House Down (especially the rhythm section) and shaped it into ABOY.

Still, B-Sides totally rule, and I hope more are included with the singles for the album.

The ultimate treat would still have to be a double-album. U2 stiill haven't produced a genuine all-new-material double album yet, and I think it would only help, not hurt U2's artistic legacy by doing so. Of course, assuming they do it right.

On that thought I always wondered if a band has ever made a double album before in which the first album has one version of a song and the second album has a different, reworked version of the song. For example, on one version, the song could be uptempo and told from the perspective of a man, etc.. the other album would have the same basic song, but maybe in another key, with a different tempo, and slightly different lyrics told from the perspective of a woman, etc... Probably wouldn't work, but it would be cool to see done!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:29 PM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elfyx

On that thought I always wondered if a band has ever made a double album before in which the first album has one version of a song and the second album has a different, reworked version of the song. For example, on one version, the song could be uptempo and told from the perspective of a man, etc.. the other album would have the same basic song, but maybe in another key, with a different tempo, and slightly different lyrics told from the perspective of a woman, etc... Probably wouldn't work, but it would be cool to see done!
shania twain's 'Up' album is like that...the one disc is country (though it isnt really deserving of the 'country' title...its more like crap, and the second disc are all remixes, mainly up tempo dance mixes....yeeeeehawwwwwww
Old 07-13-2004, 05:04 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I hope they decide to add another track or two.....having only 10 or 11 songs after 4 years would be a little bit of a let down........having said that though, if they only have 10 great songs for this album then I'll take it.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:35 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

What you said, Martha! Great B-sides are an easy way to make all us fans happy!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 05:39 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:19 PM
they should give interference.com the song titles, and we make up our own tracklisting! then the band gets to "tweak" it
Old 07-13-2004, 06:56 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Why the need to relocate in order to make a decision like this? Stupid excuse for a holiday if you ask me.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Reading Bono's quote about "Miracle Drug," it sounds like it wasn't originally meant to be on the album. However, I am willing to bet that Bono is the one pushing to put the song on the album, despite complaints from the band. Plus, there may be other songs in question.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:15 PM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by FullonEdge
Reading Bono's quote about "Miracle Drug," it sounds like it wasn't originally meant to be on the album. However, I am willing to bet that Bono is the one pushing to put the song on the album, despite complaints from the band. Plus, there may be other songs in question.
I think that's some pretty good insight. They've had a lot of time and several different producers on this album and I'm sure that they have not only a lot of finished tracks to choose from, but also from a wide variety of styles and themes.

Thus, a few tracks here or there may have the ability to greatly alter the overall direction and feel of the album.
They are also in a pivotal time in their career and really want to release at least one more groundbreaking masterpiece going into the R&R Hall of Fame.

To me, what they are doing makes perfect sense. They have just finished a long and highly anticipated album, and need to select the final arrangements and tracks. They no doubt are putting a lot of care and consideration into this. After working so long and hard on the album itself, you do this by stepping back and looking at the big picture. They're putting everything into perspective. Because they put so much of their heart and soul and passion into each album, I think this is a very important process for them whereas it may not be for some other bands.

And where better to do all of this than in their totally pimp pads in southern France? Certainly not back in the studio!!! I've heard they are partying it up just as much as they are working on the album. I'd say enjoy it guys! You've earned it; you're fucking rock and roll stars and your lives are about to kick up a notch with the world tour!

BTW, wouldn't one of u2's famous bashes be the coolest fucking party you would ever have been to?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:42 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking. I dont want to hear anymore of the, OH, we decided to save X song for the next album. Release everything and start over fresh for the next one!!! LOL