Band is indecisive about the tracklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
From U2log.com:
"Don?t be surprised if the new U2 song you?ve heard on the internet (recorded in the wild winds of Dublin) doesn?t make it to the new album. Reliable sources tell us that the band are being indecisive about which songs to include on the new album and have not yet finalized the tracklist. In an effort to come to a final decision, the band have left Dublin for a location that? we hope, we pray?is conducive to good decision making."

Just put the rock songs in and the pop ATYCLB-like songs out!

you knew there wasn't going to be clearsailing once the album once finished. Just another hiccup in this new album journey.

martha said:
So if they have extra songs, we may actually get decent b-sides, rather than endless remixes!

Where were the endless remixes on the ATYCLB singles? There was a load of original tracks from the same recordings...

Last edited:
You rock, Martha! You're the champion of b-sides and I don't think enough people out there appreciate that. I wish U2 put out more (and I hate to say it, better) b-sides. Oasis has b-sides that make you wonder why those songs weren't on the album, I wish U2 did more of that and obviously, so do you.

I hail you, Queen of the B-side!

ALL HAIL MARTHA!!!

Well, choosing tracks for the album is much better news than making tracks for the album :D Just one step closer to completion!

"Just put the rock songs in and the pop ATYCLB-like songs out!"

Nah, just because it's a rock song doesn't mean it'll fit in with the record. Heck, I think "Big Girls Are Best" is a better song than "Peace on Earth," but would that have fit on ATYCLB? Absolutely not :p I'd much rather have a great album than a collection of great singles :yes:

:bow: Martha! :bow:

B-sides. :drool:

As for remixes, yes there were loads of remixes on the ATYCLB singles (on one of the Stuck... singles, on the Elevation singles) and few real B-sides (not live versions, covers or redone tracks). The only extra songs were Always, Summer Rain and Big Girls Are Best.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Always, Summer Rain and Big Girls Are Best.

Always: a sort-of alternate version of BD really
SR: included with ATYCLB if you bought the fancy edition
Big Girls: a Pop leftover

Thank you fans. :eek:

I don't mind the live tracks of songs we've already heard, but I like new music!

The flip-side to this of course is that the band recognizes that they may have really good material to work with in a future album. After listening to All Because of You, I do feel that u2 took the core of She's Gonna Blow Your House Down (especially the rhythm section) and shaped it into ABOY.

Still, B-Sides totally rule, and I hope more are included with the singles for the album.

The ultimate treat would still have to be a double-album. U2 stiill haven't produced a genuine all-new-material double album yet, and I think it would only help, not hurt U2's artistic legacy by doing so. Of course, assuming they do it right.

On that thought I always wondered if a band has ever made a double album before in which the first album has one version of a song and the second album has a different, reworked version of the song. For example, on one version, the song could be uptempo and told from the perspective of a man, etc.. the other album would have the same basic song, but maybe in another key, with a different tempo, and slightly different lyrics told from the perspective of a woman, etc... Probably wouldn't work, but it would be cool to see done!

elfyx said:

On that thought I always wondered if a band has ever made a double album before in which the first album has one version of a song and the second album has a different, reworked version of the song. For example, on one version, the song could be uptempo and told from the perspective of a man, etc.. the other album would have the same basic song, but maybe in another key, with a different tempo, and slightly different lyrics told from the perspective of a woman, etc... Probably wouldn't work, but it would be cool to see done!

shania twain's 'Up' album is like that...the one disc is country (though it isnt really deserving of the 'country' title...its more like crap, and the second disc are all remixes, mainly up tempo dance mixes....yeeeeehawwwwwww

I hope they decide to add another track or two.....having only 10 or 11 songs after 4 years would be a little bit of a let down........having said that though, if they only have 10 great songs for this album then I'll take it.

Reading Bono's quote about "Miracle Drug," it sounds like it wasn't originally meant to be on the album. However, I am willing to bet that Bono is the one pushing to put the song on the album, despite complaints from the band. Plus, there may be other songs in question.

FullonEdge said:
Reading Bono's quote about "Miracle Drug," it sounds like it wasn't originally meant to be on the album. However, I am willing to bet that Bono is the one pushing to put the song on the album, despite complaints from the band. Plus, there may be other songs in question.

I think that's some pretty good insight. They've had a lot of time and several different producers on this album and I'm sure that they have not only a lot of finished tracks to choose from, but also from a wide variety of styles and themes.

Thus, a few tracks here or there may have the ability to greatly alter the overall direction and feel of the album.
They are also in a pivotal time in their career and really want to release at least one more groundbreaking masterpiece going into the R&R Hall of Fame.

To me, what they are doing makes perfect sense. They have just finished a long and highly anticipated album, and need to select the final arrangements and tracks. They no doubt are putting a lot of care and consideration into this. After working so long and hard on the album itself, you do this by stepping back and looking at the big picture. They're putting everything into perspective. Because they put so much of their heart and soul and passion into each album, I think this is a very important process for them whereas it may not be for some other bands.

And where better to do all of this than in their totally pimp pads in southern France? Certainly not back in the studio!!! I've heard they are partying it up just as much as they are working on the album. I'd say enjoy it guys! You've earned it; you're fucking rock and roll stars and your lives are about to kick up a notch with the world tour! :evil:

BTW, wouldn't one of u2's famous bashes be the coolest fucking party you would ever have been to?

Last edited:
martha said:
So if they have extra songs, we may actually get decent b-sides, rather than endless remixes!

Exactly what I was thinking. I dont want to hear anymore of the, OH, we decided to save X song for the next album. Release everything and start over fresh for the next one!!! LOL

On the topic of U2 not recording enough b-sides, it seems we're very quickly forgetting the glory days of The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree. They could've easily made both of those double albums.

That said, that was THEN, this is NOW, and we need more b-sides!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for Bono quotes about the new song "Miracle Drug"? I haven't seen any articles about that one. I know it exists, but don't know anything about it. Thanks.

It's on U2chat.com. Just enter the forum and check the "Have You Ever Met the Band" section. You will find it there, under the Bono, Maserati and me thread.

"Reading Bono's quote about "Miracle Drug," it sounds like it wasn't originally meant to be on the album. However, I am willing to bet that Bono is the one pushing to put the song on the album, despite complaints from the band. Plus, there may be other songs in question"

- fullon Edge

"It's on U2chat.com. Just enter the forum and check the "Have You Ever Met the Band" section. You will find it there, under the Bono, Maserati and me thread."

-djerdap

***** hey guys, could you just post the quote here? I searched the site and all i could find was Bono saying the song was on the album!

someone please help me out, thanks!

The person who was in the car with Bono said Bono had a CD with 12 songs on it and when the person asked Bono to play the "Miracle" song he scanned and it wasn't on the CD.

So either Bono is just listening to a CD of certain tracks or he has a copy of the album which doesn't contain Miracle Drug.

My guess is that since then haven't sequenced it yet, they probably haven't decided which songs are on or off.

Here is a hint, U2. PUT THE ROCK SONGS ON THE FUCKING ALBUM AND LEAVE THE BALLADS AND BLUES FOR THE B-SIDES.

Hopefully they are picking the tracks between 17 or 18 songs. That means 6 or 7 B-sides, I know...........keep dreamin'.

U2DMfan said:
Here is a hint, U2. PUT THE ROCK SONGS ON THE FUCKING ALBUM AND LEAVE THE BALLADS AND BLUES FOR THE B-SIDES.

Wouldn't that just ROCK!!! But not likely.

U2DMfan said:
Hopefully they are picking the tracks between 17 or 18 songs. That means 6 or 7 B-sides, I know...........keep dreamin'.

Yeah keep on dreaming, you never know and wouldn't that just make Martha one happy woman, podiatry appointment or not!! :huh:

elfyx said:

They've had a lot of time and several different producers on this album and I'm sure that they have not only a lot of finished tracks to choose from, but also from a wide variety of styles and themes.

Thus, a few tracks here or there may have the ability to greatly alter the overall direction and feel of the album.

After working so long and hard on the album itself, you do this by stepping back and looking at the big picture. They're putting everything into perspective. Because they put so much of their heart and soul and passion into each album, I think this is a very important process for them whereas it may not be for some other bands.

And where better to do all of this than in their totally pimp pads in southern France? Certainly not back in the studio!!!
BTW, wouldn't one of u2's famous bashes be the coolest fucking party you would ever have been to?

I agree totally with this!

b-sides are nice of course, but do we have any reason to believe that the guys actually think about this when they plan what to include on an album?
I'm imagining they try to work out what the whole picture looks like...maybe even while recording sometimes. I think of the little snippets of stuff about recording achtung baby, and how they'd have certain buzzwords they wanted to stick to, certain ones they reaaally wanted to avoid.
It sounds like maybe here they went more freeform, with edge driving it with guitar fireworks and maybe some darker emoting, and so now choosing the final tracklist is perhaps more work than it usually is?

I agree too with catman ...I like "big girls are best" a lot, but it wouldn't work as a replacement for 'peace on earth' on atyclb!
I just love it when an album works as a whole so gorgeously, like atyclb did in a sort of broad brushstroke way, or better yet like achtungbaby did in a devastating-tight precise way...this point in their process might be really important to how the new one works, and given that they're saying it's big bold ideas, big tunes, emphatic stuff...it might be harder to work out how to present it best.

So, why not head away from the studio, to where they can sit back and imagine listening to it floating finished on the breeze, or think of what exact playlist they'd be totally thrilled to be having parties for?

Didn't that fanmeeting story also include bono saying to fan something like "it's never finished" of the new album? And laughing in agreement when the guy suggested that this is how he feels about all their albums? I think their perfectionism serves them well!

I'd love to see some of that wrangling process though...bono trying to come up with good spins on how his pet track fits in and the others responding?! *then* maybe they could convince him too of the value of b-sides, those delicious serendipitous leftovers...convince him that he can prove the merits of his tune by selling lots of the singles they slap it on b-side of.

cheers all...

Blue Room said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I dont want to hear anymore of the, OH, we decided to save X song for the next album. Release everything and start over fresh for the next one!!! LOL

i agree with that, but i also sympathize with the opposite point of view being a musician myself. my band has 12 songs we're recording right now, but so many ideas and halves of songs that we would love to finish but will probably end up putting them on the shelf, so we can concentrate on the ones we have right now.

U2, though, is obviously on a larger scale though considering that they actually have a record deal, lol.

Back
Top Bottom