Band Aid III...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
According to todays Paper, the 'Do They Know Its Christmas' track, will be re-released for this year, with Fran Healy (Travis) Justin Hawkins (The Darkness) Chris Martin (Coldplay), and also possibly Noel Gallagher (The talented Oasis member) Robbie Williams (tho I doubt they could be on the same record!) Jamelia and Blur aswell.

Wonder how it will sound, and more importantly, who would sing Bono's classic line?

What a mix!!
I love the rivalry between Robbie and the Gallaghers! Very entertaining! Has U2 ever been involved in this sort of feud I wonder?

But really, even though it's 20 years later, Bono's still got the voice, profile and appeal, so of course he should be signing his lines! Remember Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" charity song, where Bono sung a line or two? He sounded great in that I thought!

There was a great documenary on BBC 3 (in the UK) tonight about the making of 'Do They Know It's Christmas?'.

I for one have seen films and footage of this dozens of times over the years, but this was a fantastic view of what happened that October day in 1984. Hosted by Midge Ure and (obviously) lots of Mr Geldof, they went back to the studio they used in 1984, where they had ONLY 24 HOURS to record and mix the whole production. Lots of unseen footage, interviews with the artists, playback of the original reels and of course clips of a recent interview with Bono, recalling the whole Band Aid experience.

Gosh darn it!..I was going to buy that special the making of Do They Know Its Christmas and I didn't...I do have the second pasrt though ...Its about the videos donated by the talents U2 used New Years Day and plus it contains the Band Aid vid itself

Im looking forward to listening to the new version

Isn't DVD of Live Aid due to come out in time for Christmas this year?

I remember in 1995 there was a documentary where a lot of bands who performed were interviewed. Was pretty interesting programme.

Recently saw Bono interview where he was talking about Band Aid experience - he mentioned that he was quite worried about what he was getting himself into esp when he saw a lot of dodgy popstars also appearing...

According to todays Paper, the 'Do They Know Its Christmas' track, will be re-released for this year, with Fran Healy (Travis) Justin Hawkins (The Darkness) Chris Martin (Coldplay), and also possibly Noel Gallagher (The talented Oasis member) Robbie Williams (tho I doubt they could be on the same record!) Jamelia and Blur aswell.
:hmm:

Wonder how it will sound, and more importantly, who would sing Bono's classic line?
I love the song. I think that what's so special about that song is the project behind it, as well as the enthusiasm and the efforts that were brought together to organize such an event. It was really a great event almost 20 year’s ago, with such legendary talents.
I was 13 and already a big fan of U2, and remember I was so thrilled with the idea of seeing U2 direct on TV – I loved it.
Unless they do something completely amazing with the song, I’m not expecting much from it, but I think it will sell, as all Christmas songs do, and this one in particular because its related to that particular event.
I do admire most of the mentioned singers, but Bono’s (Bono Vox:cute: ) voice will always be the most “charismatic” to me.

Last edited:
Bono WILL be singing his original line according to Midge Ure! Justin Hawkins (The Darkness) had said he wanted that line, but Midge says Bono has made that line his own, and would be very difficult for anyone else to do it.
I really didnt want too hear that high voice of Hawkins doing that! He'll be somewhere in the song no doubt though.

I wonder how Bono will sound? Surely he wont be able to shout with as much passion as 20 years ago?

Oh, and the entire Live Aid DVD set is out 8th November!

The thing is, the previous line he sings..the 'And the Christmas bells that ring there, are the clanging chimes of doom' is the better of the two. In fact, just the entrance of 'And the Christmas...' is one of those 'moments'. Seminal.

uh oh.

his voice is immortal on the original....not sure what a new version would sound like.

Back
Top Bottom