Baltimore GA line- a good story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
There have been so many horror stories of GA lines since the tour began in March that I thought it would be good to tell the story of one that worked so well. There was a guy who had arrived the night before who had a book and gave out numbers after taking your name. After that, everyone was on their honor, and were told to report any trouble. We all held each other's places, sometimes for an hour at a time. We shared good and bad stories of other GA lines and of U2 past and present. This was the most fair and honest and decent bunch of people! After we had to put our stuff away and the line moved forward, we were told to watch for cutters. There were a couple of young girls who kept sneaking up, but were quickly noticed, called on it, and stopped. I mean all the way down the line. One girl tried it 3 times and was repulsed! The guys in charge said we would have to stick together and defend our spots ourselves, and we did. We formed a gauntlet at the barrier and made references to the passengers taking over the plane, saying if any cutters came we would team up and get them, wrap them up in blankets and sit on them! Even as we were moving in at opening time, and things were speeding up, everyone was so careful not to cut each other! No matter how desperate we were, I swear people were actually pulling ahead people they knew were ahead of them when they saw them fall behind! We were a team to the end, we had each other's backs and we never turned them on each other. Though we all ended up in different spots because of our own preferences, I am sure they all enjoyed the show as much as I did. I hope we meet again.

I did hear from others farther back that a bit of a hold up and some trouble occured when the point was reached as to who would be the last to make it into the heart, and the line was held up for awhile and the floor was kind of empty for awhile. If anyone knows anything about this please post. Everything I saw was very good, and I wish all of you in the shows to come a bunch of classy U2 fans like the ones in Baltimore!

That is a good story! I love to hear about when things like that work! It's too bad it didn't in Hamilton. I was 76 in line and got in after numbers 305 and 274
frown.gif

I was #76 in line in Baltimore, no joke! The number is still faintly visible on my hand. This is a bit ironic!!

I ended up being 3rd row in the heart between Bono and Edge. It was a fantastic night and I will never forget 'Please.'

Chicago's GA lines (both days) worked out really well, too. And thank you so much to the folks around me who saved my spot so I could run to a Kmart to get a sleeping bag, so I wouldn't get hypothermia on Tuesday!!! It was so much colder than it was on Monday, that it threw me off guard!! U2 fans, in general, totally ROCK!! Line-skippers beware, though. Don't even try it! To the people who policed the lines in Chicago, I say, thank you!!!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

[This message has been edited by MysteryGirl (edited 10-24-2001).]

I also was at the Baltimore show, and was appalled at the ammount of trash left on the sidewalk by the GA crowd--inexcusable. All in the name of "saving your spot".

In future tours, should U2 choose to continue the GA thing, they should think about selling special tix exclusively for the "heart" or whatever "inside the stage" seating arrangement they come up with. This would eliminate many of the problems and conflicts in the GA line.

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Originally posted by StarsnStripes:
I also was at the Baltimore show, and was appalled at the ammount of trash left on the sidewalk by the GA crowd--inexcusable. All in the name of "saving your spot".

In future tours, should U2 choose to continue the GA thing, they should think about selling special tix exclusively for the "heart" or whatever "inside the stage" seating arrangement they come up with. This would eliminate many of the problems and conflicts in the GA line.

The trash- yes there was a lot but it was all eventually picked up! The can near me was emptied at least 4 times during the day by a trash man who looked like George Clinton. As the line was moved up, someone always said 'dump your trash' and everyone complied. Late in the day, I saw four heaping cans with accompanying extra black plastic bags full near the bus stop. The garbage truck came while I was still outside. It all worked out in the end, just like getting our spots did.

I don't think that selling tix exclusively for the heart is the solution because you would still have to camp to get your spot in the heart, and some sidewalk sitters are doing time for a good spot outside the heart as well.

Back
Top Bottom