Bad - Popmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
Wow I am listening to a version of Bad, I think it's from Popmart Chile, it sounds way different than any other version from any other tour.

I kind of like how the subtle reworking of it.

Anyone else that notice the difference, like this version better?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

The original Bad is the only one for me, sung when Bono was in his prime and had amazing vocal range. It will live forever.

I know exactly what you mean David.

I think it's because the guitar is so far in the background, and it has that PopMart "Buzz" through it... the background noise that always seems in tune with the music.
smile.gif

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
The original Bad is the only one for me, sung when Bono was in his prime and had amazing vocal range. It will live forever.

People complain about Bono's vocals, but, IMO, while there were a few weak spots this tour, his vocals were amazingly strong.

Listen to a Zoo TV era boot - when Bono does "Bad" he often uses a falsetto for the "I'm wide awake" parts. However, on the Elevation tour, Bono is screaming just like it was 1985 again! I was impressed. It was that wonderful voice that made me a fan - and it's that voice that has helped keep me so devoted.

jezebel, Bad was only played on a few shows towards the end of the Popmart tour in 1998. I know there were some shows in South America where it got played. Those setlists towards the end of the tour rocked! They were like 25, 26 song setlists, and MLK, 40, and Mothers Of The Disappeared were getting played.

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
I know exactly what you mean David.

I think it's because the guitar is so far in the background, and it has that PopMart "Buzz" through it... the background noise that always seems in tune with the music.
smile.gif

Exactly. You notice the intro was sped up a bit, Bono sang it differently, as if he was singing around the beat of the song. and the song had this full lush sound. Very atmospheric.

To the others, Bad was only played a few times, and he attatched a few lines of "All I Want Is You" at the end.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by doctorwho:

People complain about Bono's vocals, but, IMO, while there were a few weak spots this tour, his vocals were amazingly strong.

Listen to a Zoo TV era boot - when Bono does "Bad" he often uses a falsetto for the "I'm wide awake" parts. However, on the Elevation tour, Bono is screaming just like it was 1985 again! I was impressed. It was that wonderful voice that made me a fan - and it's that voice that has helped keep me so devoted.

icon14.gif

Originally posted by ericb:
jezebel, Bad was only played on a few shows towards the end of the Popmart tour in 1998. I know there were some shows in South America where it got played.

On the Popmart Tour, I believe Bad was played a total of 10 times:
1997-09-13 Barcelona
1998-01-30 Sao Paulo
1998-02-07 Buenos Aires
1998-02-11 Santiago
1998-02-17 Perth
1998-02-21 Melbourne
1998-02-25 Brisbane
1998-02-27 Sydney
1998-03-05 Tokyo
1998-03-16 Cape Town

I've got all of them on my FTP site, if anyone wants to take a listen. Santiago and Buenos Aires are probably the best recordings of this version out there.

------------------
u22u.dns2go.com
port 2002
user u22u
pass u22u

To be quite honest with you - I never really cared for "bad" until I saw it performed live in Chicago during the third leg of Elevation. Truly magnificent.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
umm... sorry, but you are wrong Doc.

listen to the "ake" part of wiiiiiiide awaaaaaaaake"... his pitch drops like a lead balloon. In fact, it is my least favourite version of bad. He did it on every version I heard on the elevation tour.

No point going up there if you can't (won't) stay there. Check out Bad from ZooTV DC. he hits the note and (more importantly) holds it. Sliding down is an ugly habit, and hopefully, it won't creep into other songs.

If depends which version u listen to. Of all my experiance of it (which is only from 3 bootlegs), in Mannheim, he sings it an octave lower, and its pretty awful. In Irving Plaza, he gets the note more or less, but its a bit screechy. On the Boston DVD, he hits the high note, and its lush, allthough not as strong as the UF version.

I think Bono's voice is a lot stronger than it was on the POpmart tour, some of his performances on that tour, his voice was so dull, and flat, he sounded bored. I think it has picked up, personally.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

Originally posted by doctorwho:

umm... sorry, but you are wrong Doc.

listen to the "ake" part of wiiiiiiide awaaaaaaaake"... his pitch drops like a lead balloon. In fact, it is my least favourite version of bad. He did it on every version I heard on the elevation tour.

No point going up there if you can't (won't) stay there. Check out Bad from ZooTV DC. he hits the note and (more importantly) holds it. Sliding down is an ugly habit, and hopefully, it won't creep into other songs.

Back
Top Bottom