Bad from Live Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'bad' is my favourite song in the entire universe, especially when played live. the fact that it could move you to tears does not surprise me in the least.

:up:

Absolutely, it made me cry when I watched LiveAid, and every time I even see the picture I get really emotional. Very powerful stuff.

Hi - I'm gonna move this to EYKIW because I think it might find a wider audience there who agree with you about Bad from LiveAid :)

Nice to know there's others who get emotional over this too!

@ HelloAngel - You know, I was very unsure where to put this thread....thanks for putting it here!

I'll never forget seeing U2 perform "BAD" that day on T.V. - I was already a huge fan and stayed home from our Folk Festival here in Winnipeg just to watch for them. It was an amazing performance and solidified BAD as my all time favorite U2 song. Throughout the years I have seen them live 7 times and out of those 7 concerts I've heard 6 versions of BAD - Although I can't say that any of these versions ever topped Live Aid the one in New Jersey June 2001 was superb - as I recall.

A moment in modern musical history which transformed many people's lives for the good including Bono's. :wink:

I will never forget watching that performance of "Bad" at Live Aid on TV - the power of that song and that moment was strong enough to last a lifetime.

Bono's Leap of Faith into the crowd and into a life of Grace.

AMAZING GRACE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I remember that performance on MTV. I got up early to see the whole show, but I remember right after U2 played I got up and did other things. I watched most of it, but that's a long day.

The worst thing about the MTV was during the end of Bad the f'in' feed was cut out. It lasted for about 5 seconds or more and I was pissed!!! I finally get to see the uncut, unedited version when the Live Aid video pops in my lap in 2 days!!

Bad is not a tragic song, and although it deals with Bono's junkie friend, I never quite found a connection with the song and junkies and losing your friend. Also, the Live Aid performance didn't have any emotion. Bono didn't really sing with feeling, he was just playing to the crowd and being conscious about how the crowd would react. He invented lines like "the satellite coming down and pretty soon they're in London town" before leadingthe crowd to singing the "doo doos" of Walk On The Wild Side. Bono just wanted attention, he didn't sing with much emotion or feeling really. Also, Walk On The Wild Side, Satellite Of Love, Ruby Tuesday, and Sympathy For The Devil didn't have much thematic connection to Bad when put together. Bono just put them there because they sounded good with the song.

So when Bono plays to a crowd (like Live Aid) as opposed to Bono internalizing and feeling the lyrics and showing real emotions (like performances of Sometimes You Can't Make It), you really sense something lacking. I don't see how people can get teary eyed watching Live Aid. Unless of course they are crying because Bono's nicotene ravaged voice of late will never be as strong as the Live Aid vocal.

Cheers,

J

I saw it for the first time in 1989 ( we didn´t have TV cable here at that time :( ) and I was shocked, really :shocked: EXTRAORDINARY PERFORMANCE !!!!!:bow: I love all snippets used on that song, like Walk On The Wild Side, Satellite Of Love, etc, etc

for me, the ultimate Bad version ( I have heard more than 200 ones !!! ) :yes:

You know, I was talking to my boyfriend about U2 once and he sang a bar of "Bad" and asked if that was them. Keep in mind that my boyfriend is an African who while living in the capital city of Mali, is not super-exposed to the outside world. I said, yes, that's U2, and how do you know that song? He responds, "oh, I remember watching...what was it called...something where the singer jumped down in the crowd and started dancing with a woman...it was a long time ago."

It was kinda cool. Live Aid being performed to aid those in Africa and my boyfriend as a young kid watching that on TV...in Africa. :D

BAD is an awe-some song.
i don't think anyone can honeslty say it's not.

I don't think it's ever made me cry.
I don't cry for much, but the only thing I've ever cried for was "PRIDE", I don't know why. I think it's the pitch and the emotion that's coming from the song. I'm addicted/infatuated with it, really.

BUt BAD is amazing, because it creates such an amazing atmosphere. You can feel it coming.

It remindes me of "WIth or WIthout you" in that regards, in that you can feel something building up like that.

I've never seen the live aid sho :( :(

I'll have to get that, or some old shows with some money if I cget any fro christmas

no any good places to get things like that?
(obviously, I'll look throught this site....)

THe only song that ever made me cry was/is PRIDE. Something about it, the music first, then the lyrics....

but BAD is awesome.

It really creates an atmosphere.
It lets you know something is there, or something is coming.
It reminds me of "with or without you" in regards of it's prescence, and the feeling that somehing is building up.

Bad is a great song, one of my favorites.

I really want to see the one you all are talking about.
Live Aid?

I'll begin the hunt.....

I just dl a 17-cd compilation of all the Live Aid performances and interviews. I always loved the version of Bad from that day and now with the dvd & this audio, more people can enjoy it

Quite simply, "Bad" is a masterpiece.

I've even grown to love the almost dreamy quality of the studio version on UF.

To this day, I've never heard a more perfect song than "Bad".

I feel very fortunate to have found it...

sulawesigirl4 said:
You know, I was talking to my boyfriend about U2 once and he sang a bar of "Bad" and asked if that was them. Keep in mind that my boyfriend is an African who while living in the capital city of Mali, is not super-exposed to the outside world. I said, yes, that's U2, and how do you know that song? He responds, "oh, I remember watching...what was it called...something where the singer jumped down in the crowd and started dancing with a woman...it was a long time ago."

It was kinda cool. Live Aid being performed to aid those in Africa and my boyfriend as a young kid watching that on TV...in Africa. :D

Wow! Did he ever hear the song again after seeing it live on TV or did he remember the song from seeing it once?

bw in dc said:
Quite simply, "Bad" is a masterpiece.

I've even grown to love the almost dreamy quality of the studio version on UF.

To this day, I've never heard a more perfect song than "Bad".

I feel very fortunate to have found it...

I sort of knew it was special the first time I heard it, but the song has deifinitley grown on me.

Sometimes just the openig part of BAD is very entrancing. And the UF version is nice. I like the Wide Awake in America one, too, where you can hear the simple automated rythem or keyboard or whatever that things is.

It's enchanting.

Hopefully it is on the Live-Aid box set that I am getting tomorrow but crying during U2 songs, seems like a common thing.

I suppose for me, seeing U2's Live Aid performance during Bad just summed up the day IMHO.
It's not so much the song that moved me in this instance (although it is a VERY emotional track) but more Bono's leap during the show just "hit the nail on the head" so-to-speak. His desperation to reach out and connect and how he just let go and fearlessly did it really stirred me up....

I got the Live Aid DVD for Christmas and while I have seen mpeg videos - I haven't seen it on TV for years. It is so awesome! :D

After reading about Bono being very upset about letting the time run out before they could play "Pride" - you can almost read how he felt he blew it when he looks back while holding the mic out to the crowd to sing "goodbye, ruby tuesday". He seems upset while he exits the stage too. It's too bad that he didn't realize how perfect it was while it was happening!

Another favorite part of the Live Aid concert for me is during the Wembley finale. I just well up with pride when Bono sings "Let them know that springtime is coming..." Leave it to Bono to revise the lyrics at that moment! :)

sulawesigirl4 said:

That's my favourite post on this thread and any other thread this week. :heart:

BostonAnne said:
Wow! Did he ever hear the song again after seeing it live on TV or did he remember the song from seeing it once?

You know, I am not sure, but I will ask him. :) I do know that now whenever I whip out the U2 music, he asks me to play Bad, and he sings along as best he can. It seems to be THE song that he associates with U2.

anitram said:
That's my favourite post on this thread and any other thread this week. :heart:

:hug: And that post just made my evening. Thanks anitram!

Back
Top Bottom