Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
it's like the soundtrack to the moment in your life when this ENORMOUS swell just comes in front of you, and is about to crash on you but when it does it's suddenly sooo warm and cleansing and you don't even notice the loud noise of the water rushing in your ears or as you drown.. my God I love this song!

how can someone who was MY age have written it??!?!?!?

I love that it's so unexplainable, just this Emotion that comes over you, how it's a staple to U2 fans and I'd guess on nearly everyone's top 5 list. It just makes me *tremble*!

------------------
Words tangled in her hair.. words soon to disappear

* U2 Take Me Higher *
The Macphisto Society

Like BB King told him, "Boy you mightly young to be writin' such HEAVY lyrics!"

Bad is one of my favourite songs -- a really, really good song, IMO.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
it's like the soundtrack to the moment in your life when this ENORMOUS swell just comes in front of you, and is about to crash on you but when it does it's suddenly sooo warm and cleansing and you don't even notice the loud noise of the water rushing in your ears or as you drown.. my God I love this song!

how can someone who was MY age have written it??!?!?!?

I love that it's so unexplainable, just this Emotion that comes over you, how it's a staple to U2 fans and I'd guess on nearly everyone's top 5 list. It just makes me *tremble*!

Bad was the first U2 song I ever heard, way way back when I was 13, I couldn't put into words how that song made me feel but its something very similar to that.

I'm 30 now and it still has the same impact, and I still can't it explain properly
biggrin.gif

------------------
Being one can be great but respecting differences can be greater. - Bono in Belfast, August 26, 1997

It's my favorite!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

One of the best emotional lines from Bono is, "I'm wide Awake......I'm not sleeping."
That line could summerize his life.

I will never, ever have enough words, in any language, to describe how much I love Bad...my first and definitive U2 song. It means a lot to me.

BAD - it leaves you breathless,
it leaves you speechless -
like an out of body experience
searing and soaring through my
earphones,
and mere mortals wrote this,
so young and so passionate.
He's right, you know -
sometimes God does walk through the
room.

Best Bad - Wide Awake in America !!
Only ever play live versions

Pamela

[This message has been edited by PopTart, Pamela (edited 03-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by PopTart, Pamela (edited 03-21-2002).]

I love Bad too. I especially like the Live in Dublin from 1993 version. I have a crappy taped version but I still love it. Maybe I should hunt around and find a mp3 cut.

A remote room lit by a single sputtering bulb
The night already almost run its course
Sleep? - a fading aspiration

Shoulders slouch, eyes sliver, thoughts tangle

Idly reach a finger to a switch - >
A faint whirr, a tick, as mechanics summon
A wash of whispered resonance

Shoulders heave in weary yawn, attention turns

An earnest shimmer of synthetic bells
Murmured bass over a bed of strings
A tender guitar flits over harmony. A voice.

Shoulders relax, lids seal, attention holds

A subtle build, and one last tranquil break.
Then beats beat faster, and rhythm drives harder
A plaintive cry as a delicate torrent surges
Restless torments purged in a sonic tide of healing

Shoulders quiver, eyes widen, transcendent joy

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 03-23-2002).]

Bad is one of U2 divine song ever! I have to have a fix of this song at least ever other day!

------------------
Round and round the forum I go, where I stop nobody knows, cos I'm a annoying little piece of...Interference!

Of course we can't forget the emotional impact of this song as performed at LiveAid.
That performance...outstanding, simply outstanding. The best performance of the entire day/night, bar none.

This was the event, and the song, that set the path for them to become the biggest band in the world, and the most loved.

Originally posted by hotpepper:
I love Bad too. I especially like the Live in Dublin from 1993 version. I have a crappy taped version but I still love it. Maybe I should hunt around and find a mp3 cut.

Or you could just send me a couple blank CD's and postage and I could burn the whole show to CD for you.
smile.gif

OMG Mulholland Drive! You are right! The second verse is missing! That explains why I always sang it wrong when I started listening/singing to the bootleg I have from Oct. 30th! I was scolding myself for mixing up the words!

This verse is missing:

If I could throw this lifeless
Lifeline to the wind.
Leave this heart of clay,
See you walk, walk away,
Into the night.
And through the rain.
Into the half-light,
And through the flame.

I'm sure most of you have heard this many times, but Bono sang "Bad" to my 9 year old daughter during the Providence October 30 concert. It's especially exciting for me to hear that bootleg because she says "I Love You" into the mic! It's been almost 5 months and the excitement I feel when I think about it is the same as if it happened yesterday! Bad is my favorite U2 song, and I got into U2 because of Bono's stage antics (the Us festival 5/30/83 when he climbed the rigging to wave the white flag and sang the rest of The Electric Co. up where he climbed) so Bono singing Bad to her and leaving the stage to visit her.... it's a dream come true!

http://home.earthlink.net/~cimon378/U2Exp.htm

[This message has been edited by BostonAnne (edited 03-25-2002).]

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
Like BB King told him, "Boy you mightly young to be writin' such HEAVY lyrics!"

what song was he talking about????

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

BAD rocks my world.

It is just about u2's finest moment. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to listen to the live version on the way home from work tonight!

73.jpg

Here is Bono singing 'Bad' in 1984 around the time I would have heard 'Bad' for the first time live. You can see in his eyes, the song revealing what he feels in his soul, the lives he'd already lost to heroin addiction...the sadness in friends lost, the sense within himself to sing "I'm wide awake, I'm not sleeping", a song as a reminder to shield himself from the realities that surround him...He appears to be looking over the crowd and is already seeing the healing power behind U2's epic song that along with 'Streets', has been the cornerstone of live shows from Live Aid to the Elevation tour whenever played. Where 'Street' is communal in an outward sense in the passion and hope that it brings to a live show and the fans...'Bad' reaches into the soul, and illumines a healing in the giving away of oneself to finding reconciliation with the things that bring life, not tear it down. 'Bad' for me will always evoke such a overwhelming sense of emotion that will for me will always be the epitomy of the power that music has on the soul.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom