Baby slow down...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
So this is verging on their best album ever after 2ish days of listening?

But then Achtung Baby took years to be recognized, for the nuances to be sorted out, and many people were very put off by it at first.

So maybe this is just U2's most accessible and immediate album, and that has nothing to do with its quality or longevity.

Discuss.

atyclb was accessable. i liked it at first cause it was new u2, but once the novelty of that wore off, i found it incredibly bland and boring.

i really like bomb a lot at this point, and i think i will come a year from now. why? i dont know, i just get the feeling i will. it seems like more thought was put into these songs...

SkeeK said:
But then Achtung Baby took years to be recognized, for the nuances to be sorted out, and many people were very put off by it at first.

Oh, so ATYCLB can still become a masterpiece... :ohmy:

Re: Re: Baby slow down...

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Oh, so ATYCLB can still become a masterpiece... :ohmy:

Nah.. i think 4 is enough. (years, that is)

I have been a part of new U2 releases since the UF. Only one other album has blown me away on a first listen and that was the Joshua Tree. The Bomb is easily U2's most accessible in almost 20 years.

("accessible" as a U2 fan. All That.. is accessible, but it took a little time to accept U2 wanting to be a pop band.)

Last edited:
i love HTDAAB, but for me its got nothing on Achtung Baby. Im enjoying AB more and more after listening to it hundreds of times. in fact, HTDAAB doesnt even come close. i think it would be tough for people to say that HTDAAB is their favorite U2 album ever, after having it just a couple days. id chalk it up to excitement and emotion over new material. but hey, prove me wrong....

Re: Re: Re: Baby slow down...

SkeeK said:

Nah.. i think 4 is enough. (years, that is)

yea, i was joking, but still an album with good memories for me - the first U2 album i've heard (well, after The Best OF 1980-90) :(

Re: Re: Re: Re: Baby slow down...

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

yea, i was joking, but still an album with good memories for me - the first U2 album i've heard (well, after The Best OF 1980-90) :(

Yeah I've got a lot of good memories with it too.. I mean that tour.. it also came out around some of the better years of my life. So yeah, I definitely enjoy it, but I never find myself wanting to hear it.

Right now I've listened to HTDAAB about 20 times and only 1.5 other albums.. but only cause one of them I have to write a review for and the other I'm seeing open for R.E.M. tomorrow night and was interested to sample.

I'm just really hoping I don't get burn-out and end up thinking about the new one in the same manner as I do atyclb. I am fairly confident this won't happen though (which prolly didn't quite come across in the first post)

I don't remember it taking years for AB to be recognized. Some were off-put at first, but it got an immediate reaction.

I can say with great certainty that nothing has *SHOCKED* my senses like this entire album - at least since AB.

I agree - with the idea that it is their most instantly accessible album - maybe ever.

But, there is not an ounce of bullshit on this album - it's straightforward, heartfelt, thoughtful and mesmerizing!!

I was not anticipating that all of this stuff about Bob Hewson's death having such an effect - but you can really hear it on SYCMIOYO and MD and OSC.

I am overjoyed - could not be more pleased and don't think I could ask for more!

We are truly blessed.

I think it is their most accessible album... to U2 fans. I'm not sure if the general public will be able to dive into it the way we have. It's the most complete picture of who U2 are and have been, musically, that I can think of.

Unforgetable lemon - agree with you on this one
ATYCLB was accessable to the masses (which isn't the worst thing in the world...)I think HTDAAB is the most accessable to u2's "cult" fans - perhaps the first album for all u2 fans to completely enjoy. Everything that keeps fans coming back to u2 is scattered into this album. It's daring, both in open emotion and rawness - musically and lyrically
I think that these songs have a staying power - you also have the benefit of the fact that again these songs sound like nothing else on the radio right now.

plus with repeated listening the friggin album is getting better

Baby slow down, yeah getting right off topic here but that is ONE AMAZING SONG, "Some People have way too much confidence, baby......baby".......music does not get any better than this ......especially the third chorus where Bono loses it during the "You don't have to be shy about it" line and kinda laughs.....
A GREAAAAAAAAT SONG.

rjhbonovox said:
.especially the third chorus where Bono loses it during the "You don't have to be shy about it" line and kinda laughs.....

YAAAH! best moment on the album :) it's like when the song totally clicked with me it also clicked with Bono.. that was a nice moment.

Yeah I reckon when Bono's singing that in the last chorus it just dawns on him how GOOD the song actually is. Jesus I love that song. It's early days but it maybe go down as one of the best things they have ever done, that is a stupid thing to say after only a few days but it is that good.

SkeeK said:
So this is verging on their best album ever after 2ish days of listening?

So maybe this is just U2's most accessible and immediate album, and that has nothing to do with its quality or longevity.

Discuss.

Hi.. I'm lazy..and tired..so please forgive me for not typing original anwser - I'll just copy/paste an anwser from another thred but it can be applicable to this one:

"I'll try to anwser with another question - How do you explain the fact that most of the people on this forum haild "Vertigo" as the best U2 song ever on that first day when it leaked? And now everybody (not literaly but.. ) is saying that all other songs on this CD are better than "Vertigo"!
I think - the more imidiate the songs are the sooner it will fade away. At least that is the fact in my case - AB was nowhere near imidiate, nor was POP or Zooropa, and today those are my favorite songs.
I had to listen to Light My Way or Acrobat for 150 times to appritiate them completely, but now after 13 years I can put them on repeat any day and listen to any of those songs for hours and hours.. On other hand, I imidiately liked Walk On, and today I like it, but I don't love it - it's like 115th U2 song on my list..

so - basicaly - I'm afraid that this will wear off quickly... it allready seems a little bit to bland, boring maybe...

I don't know how to express myself - but the biggest issue that I have with this CD just doesen't excite me.. I want to feel excitement when I listen to U2, but these songs just can't do it...

there is a one hope - tour! ATYCLB is my leas favorite U2 cd (together with RH and October) but it was the perfection when played live - on par with ZOO TV... and as I plan to catch them in UK, in Spain and mybe in France this coming year I think that I'll enjoy enough..

rant off..."

Marko, I know exactly what you mean.. that's where I was coming from starting this thread. I mean a new U2 album is very exciting so it's very easy to like, especially when the album itself is easy to like. But will there still be things to discover in these songs 1, 2, 3, 14 years from now?

Everyone gets down on ATYCLB. But seriously, its a great album. I think because the mainstream took it and ran with it, you see a lot of people who claim to be the hardcore u2 fans shy away from it.

HTDAAB is an amazing album. Right now its filling every need and want I had for a new U2 album. Time will tell if it becomes a masterpiece.

I hated Pop for about 3 years. Even after seeing the Popmart show the only songs I liked during that time was Please and Wake Up Dead Man. Now I cant get enough of that album.

I think maybe its a reflection of where you might be in your life as to when these songs grab a hold of you if they ever do at all. I wasnt ready for Pop. I was counting the days to a return to the Joshua Tree sound that I loved so much. So when ATYCLB surfaced I was overcome with joy. But after getting my fix from ATYCLB it allowed me personally to fully grasp and cherish Pop.

Back to HTDAAB.. The album kicks ass. I dont think theres a filler song on the album for me. :bow:

Back
Top Bottom