AYGWF? - All comments here! (NO REQUESTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AtomicBono said:
Hey, so what's the best version of Holy Joe? The only one I have is the Gulity Mix which was on the single with the mirrors and the dance remixes of Discotheque and stuff...if that makes any sense :huh:

You really should have both. I prefer the Guilty Mix myself because of its simplicity and the extra lyrics. The Garage Mix has stronger guitar and rocks more.

It's like the difference between the studio version of The Fly vs. the Lounge Fly Mix.

If you remove the louder guitar track (most prominent in left ear) and concentrate on the softer right ear guitar, the song is very ATYCLB.

I have a suspicion that they have taken an ATYCLB recording and added this extra guitar - and pushed the original guitar track back in the mix. In doing so they have a more edgy (pardon the pun) song that fits the new album style better.

Just a thought.

Yes, I know! Did you see the post on the previous page and I sent a reply email.

Thanks again though!

FullonEdge2 said:
Yes, I know! Did you see the post on the previous page and I sent a reply email.

Thanks again though!

Yeah, I saw your earlier post right after I replied that time. Oh well, as long as you got the song all is well. hope you like it. :)

chocky said:
If you remove the louder guitar track (most prominent in left ear) and concentrate on the softer right ear guitar, the song is very ATYCLB.

I have a suspicion that they have taken an ATYCLB recording and added this extra guitar - and pushed the original guitar track back in the mix. In doing so they have a more edgy (pardon the pun) song that fits the new album style better.

Just a thought.

I think you're right.

Great B-Side, but like others have said, I'm a little happy its not on the album. The chorus gets kind of repetetive, and Bono's delivery hasnt really grown on me. I do like the bridge however, great lyrics. The thing that makes this a brilliant b-side is THE EDGE!!! Wow, he isn't messing around with this track. The intro guitar work is amazing, and I love how the guitar trails off at the end. They should have taken the music and put this on the album with a different song. :wink:

After hearing this song on a proper sound system I have to tell you that it sounds similar to a song I remember hearing in late '91, early '92 on the "Alternative" station here in Sacramento. It was supposedly an unreleased U2 track, it was quickly pulled off the air after Island sent them a cease and desist letter. I'm not saying that this song is that old (the vocals are definitely newer), but I have to say it caught my attention.

What I'm saying is those people who feel this to be a R&H or AB era song may not be that far off.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Anyway why is it that U2 b-sides are not that good generally?

Really? I actually find myself listening to the b-sides disc of Best of 1980-1990 more than any other '80s U2 album. That collection is astounding. Plus the b-sides left off are nothing to scoff at either (I'm looking at you, "Deep in the Heart").

Maybe their '90s b-sides weren't as good, but you've still got stuff like "North and South of the River", "Lady With the Spinning Head", "Holy Joe", "Slow Dancing", "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad", "Summer Rain", "Always"...

chocky said:

Just a thought.

You are right, the credits on the single (U2wanderer's site) say that it was produced by Eno and Lanois, so it's definitely an ATYCLB leftover. I doubt they did much to it. Maybe re-dubbed the Edge lead, as you said and pushed it up front.

Okay, after about 10 listens now and the volume cranked up at home (as opposed to in my office :wink: ), this is the best u2 b-side since the AB days with the exception of North and South... . This song really kicks ass and it leads me to believe that I'll like the Bomb more than All That... . :up: (just a hunch)

If it was instrumental it would be a lot more interesting. Bono's singing is making this song an ordinary b-side. I won't listen to this in two years. I still put Holy Joe in my cd player once in a while.

It reminds me of 'Where Did It All Go Wrong' as Well, Edge's guitar is very reminiscent of that. I actually really like it, but it's just a b-side so once the album comes along I'll be onto other things

My opinion:

- Terrible vocals by Bono
- Poor lyrics
- Very good guitar work by The Edge

Overall: 5.5/10 - An interesting B-side

It kinda has this gloomy feeling (joyfull sadness)...I like this one.
It's a sticky song :applaud:
This one will kick arse live !

silenus said:
This one will kick arse live !

It's just a shame it won't be played live. If I remember correctly, the last b-side to be played live was Spanish Eyes, and that was from 1987 (although it was played in Spain in 1992 and 2001).

Personally, I prefer AYGWF over Vertigo, although I'll have to wait a bit to compare the songs objectively.

A solid B-side with some cool guitars. Not bad at all.

Opinions a-plenty for this song then! Im gonna hang on til Monday for the single release.
I remember when BD came out, I skipped straight to track 2, cos id heard it so much already. I remember thinking I enjoyed Summer Rain a lot more than BD. (That changed again after bout a month of course!)
Could be the same with this single...:eyebrow:

Axver said:

It's just a shame it won't be played live. If I remember correctly, the last b-side to be played live was Spanish Eyes, and that was from 1987 (although it was played in Spain in 1992 and 2001).

Personally, I prefer AYGWF over Vertigo, although I'll have to wait a bit to compare the songs objectively.
[/QUOTE

Silver And Gold was also a b-side and played in 1987

only a decent b-side: nothing more...i'm glad it's not on the album and honestly can't be compared to vertigo at all

Axver said:

you are burning with fever! ;)

Last edited:
Homerpalooza said:

Also "Party Girl" in 2001.

Oh, I didn't make myself that clear did I? Heh. What I meant was b-sides in order of release. Party Girl was from 1982, Spanish Eyes from 1987. I'm pretty sure no b-sides made any later than that were played. Oh, wait! North And South Of The River, but it's pretty much an anomaly. Off memory, these are the b-sides that have been performed live;

Title, year made: years played
- Boy/Girl, 1979: 1979-1981
- Touch, 1980: 1980-1981
- Things To Make And Do, 1980: 1980-1981
- Party Girl, 1982: 1983-1985, 1987, 1989, 1992-3, 2001
- Silver And Gold, 1987: 1987
- Spanish Eyes, 1987: 1987, 1992, 2001
- North And South Of The River, 1997: once in 1998

There's also Unchained Melody from 1989, but that was a cover. I hope I haven't forgotten any other b-sides that were performed.

Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad - Antwerp 2001. Just a snippet, but it counts, right?

djerdap said:
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad - Antwerp 2001. Just a snippet, but it counts, right?

Hm, I guess. I'm not keen on counting snippets, but I can see why some would count them as legitimate performances.

Also, going chronoligcally, I should have said Silver And Gold instead of Spanish Eyes. Silver And Gold was released later than Spanish Eyes in 1987; my memory was faulty and I thought Spanish Eyes was later.

Back
Top Bottom