Awards show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pero

Refugee
Bono once said a speech, something like:
what a city, what a night, what a mistake,
or something like it.
When and where was that??

I googled this

'Political gestures have been a part of Bono's pop persona. Sometimes they have been inspiring, sometimes they have been inappropriate, even tacky. At the MTV awards in Paris in 1995, after French nuclear tests in the Pacific, he received the award for best group then attacked Jacques Chirac, saying: "What a city, what a night. What a bomb, what a mistake. What a wanker you have for president." Perhaps that sort of outburst goes with the territory of being a rock star. Largely, though, Bono has succeeded in transcending this. It's enough of a feat to remain musically and politically correct for 22 years.'

I googled "What a city, what a night" u2

I think u2 have more balls now actually-if he were to go around saying things like this about Chirac, Bush , blair etc, it might be a good soundbyte but it doen't achieve anything. Bono is a bit more diplomatic now but is able to actually meet these people and try to change things-He wouldn't get within a block of the White House if he were saying things like that about Bush.

It takes more Balls to actually Meet these people than just diss them

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

I think u2 have more balls now actually-if he were to go around saying things like this about Chirac, Bush , blair etc, it might be a good soundbyte but it doen't achieve anything. Bono is a bit more diplomatic now but is able to actually meet these people and try to change things-He wouldn't get within a block of the White House if he were saying things like that about Bush.

and more humble too. during the rcent world economic forum in switzerland, when the audience clapped at something that bono said about the aids problem being an emergency, he instead pointed to another guy who was into this anti malaria campahgn and said that "this guy deserves more appreciation." something like that. so frank and so down to earth.

I'd also just like to say that we have no idea whether U2 has the balls to say things like this anymore because they generally say these things on tour and the tour hasn't started yet. I plan on them saying something - hell, doesn't anyone remember "Bullet The Blue Sky" from the Elevation Tour and the anti-NRA video and Bono's crazy rants? That takes balls.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

you rock...:up:

Back
Top Bottom