AUSTRALIA LOVES ELVIS!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Australia has a new hero. His name is Elvis. He is a big boy and he has people cheering when he arrives.
He is the first news item every night.
Thank you ELVIS, we love you, baby!!!

firesnap15.jpg

HOW ELVIS SAVED 14 LIVES
By STAVRO SOFIOS and LORNA KNOWLES
04jan02
THE lives of 14 volunteer firefighters trapped yesterday in a raging inferno in the Blue Mountains were saved by the water bombing helitanker "Elvis".

Walls of flames surrounded the three crews from Lawson and Hazelbrook bushfire brigades as bush ignited all around them on the Ingar Fire Trail, near Wentworth Falls, for 45 minutes before they radioed for aerial support.
Within five minutes of receiving the distress call, Elvis swooped, dousing the flames and clearing a path for their escape.

"The flames were crowning the treetops, it was a fireball, we were surrounded," Hazelbrook crew member Chris Tierney, 20, said.

"Elvis saved us, absolutely. You could feel the heat on the window as we were driving out," fellow crewman Darrell Pascoe, 31, said.

"We love Elvis," said 29-year-old Michael Laverton.

It was a sentiment shared by members of the Lawson brigade, who scrawled "We Love Elvis" on their helmets late yesterday.

The fire crews were mopping up on the trail, about 15km from Wentworth Falls, when the fire turned on them.

With flames burning to the north and west of the trail, they reversed their trucks into a burnt-out area, chopping down trees with chainsaws and hosing down the vehicles and surrounding areas.

As the flames advanced within metres of the trucks, Elvis arrived to save the day.

Indicators, sirens and wheel rims on the three trucks melted in the intense heat.

"Today was the scariest time of my career", said Mr Laverton, a firefighter of 10 years.

"I've never got the emergency blankets out before, " said Mick Barr, 30.

"The wind was swirling the flames. We couldn't drive out. So we went into emergency procedures. We got the chainsaw out and cut down some trees before we decided it would be safer to call in aerial support. We got onto aerial operations and said there was a situation. We desperately needed it".

Mr Tierney said: "We were next to the truck ready to get in when Elvis turned up. He saved us".

When the men got back to Lawson, they were checked for injuries.

Incredibly, after just a half an hour break, they went back out to fight the fire which almost killed them, attending property protection duties in Herron Place, Hazelbrook.

"We had a half an hour break, had a bit of a laugh and a breather and went back," Mr Laverton said.

Mr Pascoe said: "We're back fighting the same fire. We wanted a second go at it.

"It's beaten us once, it's not going to beat us again".

Lee Cox, wife of Lawson brigade firefighter Brett Cox, said her husband telephoned her just after midday to tell about the ordeal.

"He said that his butt nearly got burnt. He said 'We nearly got our arses fried'.

"He said 'The big Elvis chopper saved us. It came in at the right moment'.".

Jan Meikle, the wife of Lawson firefighter Bill Meikle said Elvis saved her husband.

"He said the chopper had saved him," Mrs Meikle said.

Erickson Air Crane firefighting manager Lenny Allmaras said: "This is one of the advantages of a helitanker when you have this much muscle.

"You don't want firefighters to plan onthat back-up but they have the ability to call it in when they need to".

Lawson brigade captain Glen Benson said the men called in the air drop as a safety measure.

"When they returned to the station they were checked for stress, re-tasked and left to protect property at Woodford".

The State Government yesterday announced it would bring in two more Erickson Air-Crane Helitankers within three to five days to help battle the blazes across the state.

Emergency Services Minister Bob Debus said the helitankers would be brought in crates from the United States in a large aircraft called an Antonov.

----------------------

To all the Brilliant fire fighters, volunteers, and the amazing Elvis, Thank you...

fsnap3.jpg

firesnap12.jpg

fsnap5.jpg

fsnap8.jpg

fsnap7.jpg

fsnap3.jpg

I follow the news and it is unbelieveble, the scale ( Holland would be burned down for 12% ).

I hope the rain will come fast....

Read you, Rono.

Its too close. I used to live in Lawson. One of the houses in Warrimoo belonged to an old coleague of mine.

Did ya hear we are getting 2 more Elvis's?

Here are some pics i took in my backyard on Christmas Day.
Just remember that is smoke, there was blue sky behind that.It was a stinking hot summer's day, not a chilly winter one.

28480076bJUxPnGVKs_ph.jpg

28476341BbwhPgoMQO_ph.jpg

28476144pXbDHyGwxk_ph.jpg

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 01-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 01-04-2002).]

Originally posted by Elvis:
*ignores the content.. and just enjoys the subject line :-D

You know what Elvis?

Fuck you, fuck your, stupid board, fuck your small time life, your small time existance.
I hope to God you never have to face 12 feet of flames just waiting to engulf your home, and take all your possessions and all your memories away. I hope you and your family are safe from fires. I hope you can spend forever glibly floating past all knowledge of such things as bush fires. Do you know what a bush fire sounds like? Can you imagine the sound it makes? the sheer loudness of it. Do you know what that kind of fear does to your stomach? How ILL it can make you feel?

You Stupid Fuck.

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:

You know what Elvis?

Fuck you, fuck your, stupid board, fuck your small time life, your small time existance.
I hope to God you never have to face 12 feet of flames just waiting to engulf your home, and take all your possessions and all your memories away. I hope you and your family are safe from fires. I hope you can spend forever glibly floating past all knowledge of such things as bush fires. Do you know what a bush fire sounds like? Can you imagine the sound it makes? the sheer loudness of it. Do you know what that kind of fear does to your stomach? How ILL it can make you feel?

You Stupid Fuck.

I had flames right behind our houses.. we had to evacuate, and take nothing with us. Dont assume you know me, dont assume you know what ive been through or havent. and dont ever call me a stupid fuck.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

thanks for sharing amanda, thats umm, incredible really.

in my area we have the exact OPPOSITE problem. flooding. in fact, it was so bad in 97 my relatives in brazil heard about it on their news out there, so ya, every place has its terrible misfortunes.

those pictures are really powerful, thanks again for showing it, cause to be honest, i havent seen very much of this on the news, at least not nearly as much as id think it would be.

------------------
-death bear

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:

You know what Elvis?

You Stupid Fuck.

Not called for. No matter what circumstance.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

I have seen Elvis many times in the last week, usually around Springwood. It certainly is a life saver. I just can't believe this is going on for so long, and I've lived up here most of my life. It is all very depressing. As you know we were evacuated very suddenly on Boxing Day, but thanks to the outstanding efforts of the fire fighters no homes were lost - just a miracle.

Amanda, your post and pictures are just incredible. They really capture the horror and scope of it all. The back of your house looks horrendous.

How about we stop the fighting. There are bigger things to worry about at the moment.

Pamela

TAKE ME ------------------------take me !!

Man o man- that pic of the harbour is amazing!!!- those bushfires are bad hey- wierd, wierd weather here in Australia of late; where I live we have been having a heat wave, snow down south, bushfires in New South Wales and a cyclone up north, well the last in pretty normal, but anyway, I can understand your pissed off sentiments towards Elvis Angela, I kinda felt a bit bitter when I read his post.......maybe you dont understand the severity of these fires Elvis, they have been going since Christmas Day and have been very horific, if someone other than an American ha made a similar coment in relation to certain events that have happened in your country this year, well to use a bad term they would of been 'flamed', anyway to all of you Sydneysiders I hope you get some rain soon
smile.gif

I heard the praise of "elvis"(so named because the aircraft was operating in memphis tennessee) on the radio today and thought I may make some reference to it here, something like..."Elvis - My Hero
smile.gif
" (Father Ted refernce there too, for those up on these things)
but here once again, things have degenerated into name calling and harsh words, when we should be pulling together.

i think joel was totally referring to the "love" part of the topic, he's never struck me as "a stupid F***". I'm really sorry this has occurred, fullstop, but to have it associated with U2.......
and please no lectures about not understanding the horror of bushfires. Believe me, I unfortunately do.

------------------
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hey all you in Australia, the Sydney area I want you to know I will be praying for you! I hail from California-i can relate to wildfires! Those pictures were something! Wow-all i saw in our local press was how Volenteers are trying to take care of the animals. God help you all and those brave firefighters(were they playing Rugby?:> ))!Ane yes, please, stop all the fighting, it's just a misunderstanding and we are all connected because we are human! peace...to all!

Shit I really hope everything clears out over there, have a few relations on hols over in Sydney, my sis is goin there soon, dunno any1 living there, can't imagine what it'd be like!
redface.gif
Crazy to think a load of KIDS started these
eek.gif

Good luck Aussies!!!
smile.gif

since it has been in the news a lot around here, I've been following the situation
it really does sound bad, especially since last weekend

I don't doubt these fires will be beaten though

good luck to all of you!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 01-04-2002).]

Wow, powerful pictures manda, I hope you are all doing ok over there.

Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

I've been following this since Ty and manda mentioned this on It's Official, and it is finally making my local daily newspaper.

Hundreds of Koalas are being killed too. That's sad.

Wow, that's your backyard Amanda??? How far away are you from the actual fires?

I actually read about "Elvis" this morning in the papers...I also read an article about the Koalas - apparently they climb to the top of the trees but the trees they like have some kind of oil on them so they're highly flammable and the poor koalas don't have a chance - brought tears to my eyes...

Yes Julie
The fires were just up the road last week but they have been contained.
This happened in 1997 and about 7 homes burnt down in the next street to me. My whole suburb was on fire then,s o thats why it was pretty scary for me personally when this flared up again.
We were very lucky this time. I just pray no idiots decide to light anything.
Thanks for all the comments guys. Its nice to know people on the other side of the world are thinking of you.

I really cant believe that was your backyard manda. Those pictures are very powerful.

I hope its over soon.

Thank you for all your prayers and thank you god... it is absolutely pouring rain here in south-western sydney at the moment!!!! I have had to go out and stand in it for a few minutes to believe it!!!!

I hope that the fire affected areas are getting drenched as well... i'll bottle it up and send it over if I have to!!

zooropamanda - your pictures are amazing... the pic of the firefighter comforting the family in the remains of their house speaks volumes. I had to video the sky filled with smoke and the sun behind the smoke on boxing day... a sight I hope I never see again.

If the thunder cloud passes rain, so let it rain, rain down on him...

------------------
'well...2 years and finally we make it down the end of the yellow brick road to sydney australia...' Bono Zoo TV

Back
Top Bottom