Aussie Tour News!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batesmotel

Babyface
Hey Hey...

Just returned from the most amazing Midnight Oil show at the Metro (Monday night), in Sydney. The venue is only 900 people, it was packed. The Oils were extremly angry (angrier than U2 could ever be, even in SBS). There were numerous mentions of the so-called illegal 'Afghan' immigrants entertering Australia. He also made some very cryptic mentions to Corporate workers and Skyscrapers--- before launching into King of The Mountain. The crowd were nuts, The Oils are the most energetic, tight and good rock band in the world. (Don't worry I still love U2, but against the Oils they're nothing).

I am so glad Australia gets a regular dose of Midnight Oil live... since U2 never makes it to our shores. Oh, and Americans watch out, Midnight Oil are touring your country later this year (same time as U2 tour). I recommend everyone who can see them, see them. They are really cheap $25 AUS = $12 US. They're playing Irving Plaza... ring a bell?

They played all their hits Beds Burning, Blue Sky Mine, Forgotten Years, King Of The Mountain, Short Memory (which included the lyric "a smallish man Afghanistan, a watchdog in a nervous land....Short Memory... must have a Short Memory". There were heaps of other tunes including a cover of Whats so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding...Elvis Costello song. They left out US Forces, for obvious reasons I guess. A bit too close to home...

Anyway thats all from me, that's all the important Aussie Tour News at the moment.

Not ALL the important ones batesy, lol.
Los Garbos are playing at the Gold Coast this weekend
biggrin.gif
oh and my dinner dance
biggrin.gif

yes funny about that, I found myself humming an Oils tune just yesterday.

Dammit Bates! That was sneaky!

Seriously, the oils are fantastic.

I recommend any American tht has the chance, to go see them. Thats spot on about the SBS bit from Bates here.

smile.gif

Oils!

I would say this is a big chance of being their last north american tour so I would highly recommend all people to get there and watch em. They are easily the No. 2 live band in the world...
smile.gif

For all you Aussies, you can catch the Oils this Friday and Sunday night at Parramatta Leagues in Sydney and in Wyong later next week. Tonights show at the Metro is sold out.

For all the Yanks... here are the dates for the north american tour. This is a mustSEE tour. You won't regret it. I promise.

Monday 8 October
House of Blues, Anaheim, CA
Tuesday 9 October
House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA
Wednesday 10 October
House of Blues, Los Angeles, CA
Thursday 11 October
The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA
Friday 12 October
OFF
Saturday 13 October
House of Blues, Las Vegas, NV
Sunday 14 October
Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, AZ
Monday 15 October
OFF
Tuesday 16 October
Paramount Theatre, Denver, CO
Wednesday 17 October
OFF
Thursday 18 October
OFF
Friday 19 October
The Quest, Minneapolis, MN
Saturday 20 October
House of Blues, Chicago, IL
Sunday 21 October
Monday 22 October
Tuesday 23 October
Rave, Milwaukee, WI
Wednesday 24 October
OFF
Thursday 25 October
Odeon, Cleveland, OH
Friday 26 October
Clutch Cargo, Detroit, MI
Saturday 27 October
Warehouse, Toronto
Sunday 28 October
Metropolis, Montreal
Monday 29 October
OFF
Tuesday 30 October
TLA, Philadelphia, PA
Wednesday 31 October
OFF
Thursday 1 November
Birch Hill, Old Bridge, NJ
Friday 2 November
Hammerstein, New York, NY
Saturday 3 November
Avalon, Boston, MA
Sunday 4 November
OFF
Monday 5 November
9:30 Club, Washington, DC
Tuesday 6 November
OFF
Wednesday 7 November
Earthlink live, Atlanta, GA
Thursday 8 November
HOB,Orlando, FLA
Friday 9 November
Janus Landing, Tampa, FL
Saturday 10 November
OFF
Sunday 11 November
House of Blues, New Orleans, LA
Monday 12 November
OFF
Tuesday 13 November
OFF
Wednesday 14 November
Showbox, Seattle, WA
Thursday 15 November
Commodore, Vancouver, BC
Friday 16 November
Commodore, Vancouver, BC
Saturday 17 November
Roseland, Portland, ORE

PS: I was wrong about Irving Plaza. I'm sure I read that somewhere...

Man, Sunday night at Parra leagues would go off! Go you good thing! The Eels have this GF...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyway, where was I?

Thanks Bates!

Both U2 and The Oils are a bit unfair: U2 skip Australia and Midnight Oil skip Europe this year, although there have been rumors that both might happen. Maybe next year....(it's not too unlikely: a new Olis record will be released in February and there are rumors that U2 will play more shows next year)

yay a aussie thread
just wanted to say 'hi' to angie
biggrin.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

GOOD THREAD

Oh I do love the Oils heaps, they are such an amazing band and I love their songs, attitude and performances, I wish that they would come up to Queensland more often, havnt seen them since 1996, but did anyone watch that series on the ABC- Long way to the top???- the last episode was great, it showed heaps of footage of the oils when they went touring around the Northern Territory with the Warrumpi band and how that influenced the writing of Diesel and Dust, there was some classic footage of Peter dancing
smile.gif

I have always liked both the Oils and U2 for their political stances, however I think that the Oils are out there a bit more than what U2 will ever be and I think that they should be singing US Forces and Put down your weapon- both very appropriate songs I would think and Cass how amazing that would of been to have seen Peter and Kev sing 'From Little things, big things grow'- that has always been one of my fave songs and I love the way that Paul Kelly sings it but I could imagine that it would sound great sung by Peter who is just as passionate about the plight of our Indigenous people- 'Gather round people let me tell you a story, an eight year long story of power and pride, of British Lord Vesty and Vincent Lingauru who were opposite men from opposite sides, From little things big things grow, from little things, big things grow'- beautiful, anyway long live the oils and as Molly would say- 'do yourself a favour and go and see them all of you Americans'
smile.gif

Go the oils and if you truly admire their stance on all things political than vote for the Greens and Bob Brown at the upcoming election
smile.gif

Few of the sins of the father, are visited upon the son
Hearts have been hard, our hands have been clenched in a fist too long
Our sons will never be soldiers, our daughters will never need guns
These are the yrs between
These are the yrs that were hard fought and won
Contracts torn at the edges, old signatures stained with tears
Seasons of war and peace, these should not be forgotten yaers
Still it aches like tetanus, it reeks of politics
How many dreams remain? This is a feeling too strong to contain

The hardest years, the darkest years, the roarin' years, the fallen years
These should not be forgotten years
The hardest years, the wildest years, the desperate and divided years
We will remember, these should not be forgotten years

Our shoreline was never invaded, our country was never in flames
This is the calm we breathe, this is a feeling too strong to contain
Still it aches like tetanus, it reeks of politics
Signatures stained with tears, who can remember
We've got to remember

The hardest years, the darkest years, the roarin' years, the fallen years
The hardest years, the wildest years, the desperate and divided years
We will remember, these should not be forgotten years
Forsaking aching breaking years, the time and tested heartbreak years
The blinded years, the binded years, the desperate and divided years
These should not be forgotten years,

Remember....

btw batesmotel, I did fall hook line and sinker for your topic heading yesterday.
henne's thoughts are encouraging today.

Peter Garrett has always been passionate performer, can't imagine what he's feeling right now. He came up here once and helped us with a fund raiser(years ago) an outdoor thing. The only night in my life I have ever seen a moonbow(nighttime rainbowy thing, can't explain it)There was PG, Tiddas, Paul Kelly and Kev Carmody on stage, they were singing "from little things, big things grow.." It was magic!!

hi from a fellow aussie ...

the oils are a great band, unfortunately I wont be able to see them in parramatta this weekend.

my heart did skip a beat when I saw the title of this thread though! please dont tease me
frown.gif

------------------
'well...2 years and finally we make it down the end of the yellow brick road to sydney australia...' Bono Zoo TV

Back
Top Bottom