ATYCLB vs. HTDAAB: Tracks 7-11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akhan01

The Fly
From ATYCLB:

Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
When I Look at the World
New York
Grace

From HTDAAB:

A Man & A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Original of the Species
Yahweh

---
The second half of HTDAAB appears to be stronger than the second half of ATYCLB. WH v AMAAW-- bubblegum fun v. serious seduction (advantage AMAAW); POE v. CFYT-- slow political ballad v. shimmering political ballad (advantage CFYT); WILATW v. OSC--brilliant take on desperation v. brilliant take on doubt (advantage WILATW); NY v. OOTS: ode to the Big Apple v. ode to adolescence (advantage NY); G v. Y: prayer for the hopeful v. prayer for the hopeless (advantage Y)...

I don't think you are going to get much of an argument from anyone here. Certainly not me.

Hmmmm, let's see........I guess 'Bomb' wins by a 3-2 margin. AMAAW beats WH just because of a better groove and that class Spanish/Latin feel. CFYT destroys POE because it's a powerhouse of a song that I think will really come out when it's played live next year. Lastly Yahweh defeats Grace because we got ourselves a real emotionial spark going on in that song.

On the flip side, WILATW barely beats OSC only because I think I'm still trying to figure out OSC. I think over time this could change. Then, NY beats OOTS because it rocks pretty hard in parts. I'm probably being biased toward rock tendencies here because OOTS is one of those really great melodic numbers which seem to have a more time honored appeal. It took me a long time to realize just how great ATYCLB was melodically. OOTS is on that same level.

Not sure I would totally agree.....

Wild Honey v A Man & A Woman - About even
Crumbs From Your Table v Peace on Earth - Crumbs maybe but both poor songs
One Step Closer v When I Look at the World - both great tracks about even
Original of the Species v New York - both great tracks about even
Yahweh v Grace - Well ok then Yahweh is ten times better here!

HTDAAB gets the nod but not by much.

rjhbonovox said:
Not sure I would totally agree.....

Wild Honey v A Man & A Woman - About even
Crumbs From Your Table v Peace on Earth - Crumbs maybe but both poor songs
One Step Closer v When I Look at the World - both great tracks about even
Original of the Species v New York - both great tracks about even
Yahweh v Grace - Well ok then Yahweh is ten times better here!

HTDAAB gets the nod but not by much.

Well, that's kind of a boring take----lol. Everything's just about even. It sounds like you're comparing your left foot to your right foot. Guess you're not a big fan of either. That's cool, though. You really think Crumbs is a poor song? I think there's alot of muscle and intent in that song that will probably be more evident live than on this recording. It's a great live rock number waiting to happen.

I would agree

WH vs AMAAW - AMAAW easily
Crumbs vs POE - Crumbs easily
OSC v WILATW - WILATW wins this one
OOTS vs NY - OOTS in a landslide
Yaweh vs Grace - Yahweh wins.

I believe HTDAAB has a much stronger second half. Just personal preferences I guess...

Wild Honey vrs AMAAW - AMAAW kicks the crap out of WH
Crumbs vrs Peace on Earth- I like Peace but Crumbs is incredible
One Step Closer vrs When I Look at the World - both awesome
OOTS vrs New York - Hands down OOTS i think its my fav on the new cd right now
Yahweh vrs Grace - Again Yahweh runs away with it!

HTDAAB is much stronger closer. IMO the only album that compares on the back half is Achtung Baby.

Layton said:

Well, that's kind of a boring take----lol. Everything's just about even. It sounds like you're comparing your left foot to your right foot. Guess you're not a big fan of either. That's cool, though. You really think Crumbs is a poor song? I think there's alot of muscle and intent in that song that will probably be more evident live than on this recording. It's a great live rock number waiting to happen.

Yeah I honestly do believe that there ain't a lot between the two albums, and they are very similar. As for Crumbs, its just another take on Walk On but where as Walk On I think is a great song Crumbs just doesn't happen. Crumbs solo is crap (he just repeats the same thing) and the ending doesn't sound right, it sounds forced and also sounds like the Electrical Storm ending. Crumbs has excellent lyrics though, the one saving grace of an otherwise poor song, they said this is the only song they wrote when pissed, well you can damn well tell. And as I am talking about Walk On, now that has a great ending and the solo in the middle is great as well, I love the way this song seems to change direction in the middle (when the home is where the hurt is line is) and then plays out in a different kinda way.

I think that HTDAAB wins other then that When I look at the world I found to be one of the best tracks on ATYCLB...as much as I love OSC I will say When I look at the world is better....but over all The Bomb destroys ATYCLB on the front and back half.

AMAAW and Wild Honey - AMAAW easily.
Crumbs and POE - Crumbs easily.
OSC and WILATW - The first hard one. Has to go to OSC.
OOTS and New York - OOTS easily.
Yahweh and Grace - Toughest of the lot. Yahweh, but barely.

Hut Dab 5-0 ATYCLB.

Sounds about rightl.

I'd post more eloquent thoughts but I can't be bothered.

Yeah I honestly do believe that there ain't a lot between the two albums, and they are very similar. As for Crumbs, its just another take on Walk On but where as Walk On I think is a great song Crumbs just doesn't happen. Crumbs solo is crap (he just repeats the same thing) and the ending doesn't sound right, it sounds forced and also sounds like the Electrical Storm ending. Crumbs has excellent lyrics though, the one saving grace of an otherwise poor song, they said this is the only song they wrote when pissed, well you can damn well tell. And as I am talking about Walk On, now that has a great ending and the solo in the middle is great as well, I love the way this song seems to change direction in the middle (when the home is where the hurt is line is) and then plays out in a different kinda way.

I think there is quite a bit of difference between the two albums, HTDAAB and ATYCLB. I can discern the feels of each album very distinctly. If you simply concentrate on the fact that simply there is an absence DJ's and Dance Machines on both these albums, Then sure they do sound similar - but electronica versus 'rock' instrumentation isn't the only distinguishment, and loudness of distortion is the not the only design for 'rock and roll music'. Talented rock and roll needs heart and soul, authenticity, purpose and substance, drums - bass - guitar - and a great coherent Singer of versatility (A charismatic frontman that can effortlessly deliver incredible vocal inflections; sexy-deep-growl and soulful falsetto capabilities - an ability to cross language and cultural boundaries due to a legendary familiar voice... Yes, Bono fills that spot nicely), and you need distinctive qualities and originality, and although certain people will argue whether or not if U2 is pushing the limits sonically, the most they can possibly be guilty of is sounding like themselves! U2! So, by default, U2 are original and distinctive. At any rate, that is my opening foundation, and now I will lend some examples of why I think HTDAAB is wholly separate and unique from its predecessor, ATYCLB.
1. The first lead singles Beautiful Day and Vertigo are self-explanatorily different - day and night here.

2. The closing track on each album is very different - perhaps the theme shares some divinity, but the songs themselves - Yahweh versus Grace - are not the same. Yahweh is a great song, relatively upbeat and strong - which would probably even do well as a single if not for the tricky title and chorus. Grace is a very limpid experimental track with no depth behind it, the lyrics are kind of throwaway and the music is totally missing out on what Yahweh has, the unity of the band playing all their instruments with purpose.

3. When approaching the end of ATYCLB, the wonderful first section of the album diminishes into some poor songs - namely 'Wild Honey', 'WILATW', and 'Grace', whereas HTDAAB remains awesome with great songs such as 'Crumbs' (probably one of the most solid rock songs U2 have created since 'Acrobat'), the classic 'Original of the Species', the sexy groovy 'AMAAW', a song that sounds like it could have been the next logical progressive innovative sound following 'Pop', and last but not least, 'Yahweh', one of their best closing tracks ever.

4. 'Love and Peace or Else', 'Vertigo' (another 'Pop'-ish sounding track) and 'All Because of You' are three songs that was missing in between the melodies of ATYCLB - the fun, rocky 'edgy' elements sprinkled in just the right amount on HTDAAB.

5. 'City of Blinding Lights', one the most epic and classic U2 songs in a similar anthemic build-up and explosive chorus found in 'Where the Streets Have No Name'. With all the 'Wooo Wooos' and 'Oh You Look So Beautifuls' placed so deftly - this tour will have a song that'll get adrenaline pumping sing-along response as if it were a classic U2 song already.

6. 'Original of the Species', another U2 classic as far as I'm concerned, a song with so many memorable sections, another tour booster.

7. Ballads - okay, we have 'Stuck in a Moment' versus 'Sometimes you can't make it on your own' - both incredible songs, but both are different - 'Stuck' has that radio friendly balance of sound from start to finish, but Sometimes, fuelled by a very personal subject matter, is one of the most emotionally charged, beautifully full song that U2 has done since 'One'. It has one of the greatest crescendos in U2's history, and some of the most subtly clever guitar work by the edge - and the point where the band comes together to bust the song open with the memorable breakdown, as Bono let's his voice to the sky - it is definitely a favourite moment on the album, and seals its fate as a U2 masterpiece.

I could go on, of course, but I am very tired and must sleep... the ideas I brought up are subjective much of the time, but also, I tried to illustrate why it is so easy for me to recognize and respect that ATYCLB and HTDAAB cannot just be lumped into one 'sound', and discarded as a retreat to safety - it is the present feelings and inspiration of U2. I for one can feel U2's authenticity, and am completely enjoying this album - the best U2 album since 'Pop', one of U2's greatest albums ever.

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

I love ATYCLB and most of the second half, but HTDAAB easily wins this out. I would say it kills it, but I've only had the album for a month.

New York is a real clunker..just because it is a rocker does not mean its good..in fact it is one of U2's worst rock and roll songs..so Original (already a classic) wins that one easy...I'd say all the 2nd side of HTDAAB is better actually, its one of the reasons the album as a whole is much better due to the overall consistency, whereas ATYLCB's second half is 100% filler IMO.

rjhbonovox said:

I agree that Crumbs and Walk On are similiar. I think Crumbs has a subtle angy edge to it (mainly found in the guitar strumming)that gives the song more force than Walk On carries. I also think the ringing guitar fills work with the flow of the song really well. Crumbs to me is a cross between AB's bittersweet heaviness and Walk On's sprinkled with lift earthbound songwriting. I'm not really sure of what I just said, but I guess I've convinced myself that Crumbs is a great song---lol.

Sleep Over Jack said:
New York is a real clunker..just because it is a rocker does not mean its good..in fact it is one of U2's worst rock and roll songs..so Original (already a classic) wins that one easy...I'd say all the 2nd side of HTDAAB is better actually, its one of the reasons the album as a whole is much better due to the overall consistency, whereas ATYLCB's second half is 100% filler IMO.

I can't say that NY is a clunker. You're probably right in saying that Original is the better song, though. I guess I just really like the way NY's guitars come ripping out of my car stereo in the choruses. They're pretty powerful. I also really like the way NY is made to feel like a War song in spots, especially the vocals at the end. Scorsese's film depictions of New York in the late '70's and early '80's were a real influence on the War album and I think it's great how they work in a taste of the 'old' NY with their version of the 'new' NY on the 'song' NY.

i think NY is the only *good* track on 7-11 on ALYCLB
okay it's real good

HTDAAB by a landslide

Wild Honey vs AMAAW = Wild Honey
POE vs Crumbs = Crumbs
WILATW vs OSC = WILATW
NY vs OOTS = OOTS
Grace vs Yahweh = Yahweh

Bomb wins 3-2 for me. I went 3-3 on the first six songs, so I guess I like Bomb a little more than ATYCLB. Or do I...?

Wild honey vs AMAAW - AMAAW is a better song, I like WH too
POE vs CRUMBS - tough one. Crumbs
WILATW vs OSC - OSC
New York vs OOTS - OOTS
Grace vs Yahweh - Yahweh

While the first half is very tight between the two, HTDAAB has a stronger second half.

I have been a fan since 1982 and i have been excited before every new release. When POP and ATUCLB came out i could not get into these.
I was even willing myself to like like them like eveyone else including my wife as i wanted to enjoy the same experiences as i had in the past. I wondered was i losing my excitment as i was now approaching 40. HTDAAB appeared and i dont even have to try to enjoy this one. It is the first album from any artist, that i have played from end to end continously, for over 6 weeks since i was alot younger. So thanks to U2 for showing me that at 42 i can still enjoy great music the way i had in the past.

Back
Top Bottom