ATYCLB vs HTDAAB (2 years later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonozevolik

The Fly
After two years since the release of HTDAAB I think we all are ready to decide which of these albums is better. Let's vote song by song!!!

1. Beautiful day / Vertigo = BEAUTIFUL DAY
2. Stuck in a moment / Miracle drug = MIRACLE DRUG
3. Elevation / SYCMIOYO = SYCMIOYO
4. Walk on / Love & Peace = LOVE & PEACE
5. Kite / City of blinding lights = CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
6. In a little while / All because of you = IN A LITTLE WHILE
7. Wild honey / A man & a woman = A MAN & A WOMAN
8. Peace on earth / Crumbs from your table = CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE
9. When I look at the world / One step closer = WHEN I LOOK AT THE WORLD
10. New York / Original of the speces = ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES
11. Grace / Yahweh = YAHWEH
12. The ground beneath her feet / Fast cars = THE GROUND BENEATH HER FEET

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND
4/12
HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
8/12

For my HTDAAB is quite better than ATYCLB is.

Hope for your votes!

My Fav songs

ATYCLB

Beautiful day
Stuck in a moment
Walk on
Kite
When I look at the world
New york
Elevation

HTDAAB

Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
Miracle Drug
City of blinding lights
love and peace
A man & a woman
All because of you
Fast cars

I love both albums but if i was on a island alone i would choose ATYCLB , i feel it is the better album.

HTDAAB is still my 3rd favourite album (behind AB and Pop, along with Zooropa on the same spot). ATYCLB is probably my least favourite, I've never really cared for the second half of that album (which contains arguably worst U2 song ever- Wild Honey, yuck!)

If we are voting these albums song by song then HTDAAB definitely wins:

1. Beautiful Day / Vertigo = VERTIGO

2. Stuck in a Moment / Miracle Drug = MIRACLE DRUG

3. Elevation / SYCMIOYO = ELEVATION (SYCMIOYO is certainly a better song, but I enjoy Elevation much more, especially live)

4. Walk On / Love & Peace or Else = LOVE & PEACE (Bullet of the 21st centuary, probably most rocking song from this decade)

6. In a little while / All because of you = ALL BECAUSE OF YOU

7. Wild honey / A man & a woman = A MAN & A WOMAN (though both are arguably worst songs of their albums)

8. Peace on earth / Crumbs from your table = CRUMBS (too bad the production is so awful, the alternative version is so much better)

9. When I look at the world / One step closer = ONE STEP CLOSER

10. New York / Original of the speces = ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES (one of their greatest ballads ever)

11. Grace / Yahweh = YAHWEH

12. The ground beneath her feet / Fast cars = FAST CARS

Another thread like this? Okay, but HTDAAB still my favourite album, 2 years after its releasement...
I think, however, that is just silly and unfair to compare track by track.

Aygo said:
Another thread like this? Okay, but HTDAAB still my favourite album, 2 years after its releasement...

dont compare track by track then.

I prefer All That You Can't Leave Behind by a longshot. I love every song on it.

But on Atomic Bomb I only like Vertigo, Love and Peace, and City Of Blinding Lights.

Whats up with Miracle Drug over Stuck In A Moment?

1. Beautiful day
2. Stuck in a moment
3. Elevation
4. Walk on
5. Kite
6. In a little while
7. Wild honey / A man & a woman
8. Crumbs from your table
9. When I look at the world / One step closer
10. Original of the species
11. :shame:
12. The ground beneath her feet / Fast cars

ATYCLB 6V 3D 2V HTDAAB
:lock:

Last edited:
vote for them by style

hard rocker... Elevation or Vertigo
tribute song... Kite or SYCMIOYO
peace song... Peace on Earth or Crumbs From Your Table
romantic song... Wild Honey or A Man and a Woman
god song... Grace or Yahweh
soft inspirational song... Beautiful Day or Miracle Drug
New York song... New York or City of Blinding Lights
tribute song #2...In A Little While or One Step Closer
friendship or family song...Stuck In A Moment or Original of the Species
world peace song #2...When I Look At the World or Love and Peace or Else

which leaves Walk on and All Because of You but i can't find any connection with these

Beautiful Day/Vertigo- I do like beautiful day better but Vertigo was more popular...Still saying Beautiful Day..

Stuck In a Moment/Miracle Drug- SIAM

Elevation/SYCMIOYO-Elevation

Walk On/Love and Peace-Walk On

Kite/COBL-Cobl

In a little While/All Because of You- IALW

Wild Honey/Man and a Women- neither

Peace On Earth/Crumbs- POE

When I look At the world/one step closer- OSC

New York/ Original Of the Species- OOTS

Grace/ Yaweh- if i had to choose, Yaweh..

Ground Benethe Her Feet/ Fast Cars- GBHF

1. Beautiful day / Vertigo = BEAUTIFUL DAY
2. Stuck in a moment / Miracle drug = STUCK IN A MOMENT
3. Elevation / SYCMIOYO = SYCMIOYO
4. Walk on / Love & Peace = WALK ON
6. In a little while / All because of you = IN A LITTLE WHILE
7. Wild honey / A man & a woman = A MAN & A WOMAN
8. Peace on earth / Crumbs from your table = PEACE ON EARTH
9. When I look at the world / One step closer = ONE STEP CLOSER
10. New York / Original of the speces = ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES
11. Grace / Yahweh = GRACE

remarkably difficult and close since ATYCLB is one of my favourite U2 albums and How to Dismantle is among my least favourite ones

they really haven't made a mediocre album :hmm:

Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Elevation
Walk On
City of Blinding Lights
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
When I Look At The World
Original of the Spieces
Yahweh
Ground Beneath Her Feet

If you compare them track by track I think it soulbe be more like this, but as whole albums I like All that you can't leave behind better, for what it personally means to me. i think Bomb had more singles though(5), i don't know which one did better comercially.

Beautidul day / City of Blinding Lights
Best single from each album (IMO)
Winner: beautiful day (no brainer for me there)

Stuck in a Moment / Sometimes
slow tempo single
winner: sometimes (the crescendo in the middle is very powerful)

Elevation / Vertigo
rock single
winner: vertigo (not my favorite single but it kicks elevations ass all over the place)

Walk on / Original of the species
Emotional single
winner: walk on

Kite / crumbs from your table
Non - single rock ballad
winner: kite

In a little While/All because of you
Side 2 track 1
winner: in a little while (controversial i know, but i like it more, period).

wild Honey / a man and a woman
non single acoustic filler track
winner: tie (both suck)

peace on earth / yahweh
album's emotional/spiritual track
winner: yawhew (best album closer as well)

when i look at the world / miracle drug
Could've been a single - glad it wasn't track
winner: miracle drug (edge slide solo is awesome)

new york / love and peace or else
album's "obscure" "hardrockin" track
winner: love and peace (the earth shakes with that bassline)

grace / one step close
album skipover track
winner: tie (hate them both)

Bomb has a stronger 2nd half, and more good to very good songs, but ATYCLB has more classic U2 songs, and the album has a very sunny disposition. ATYCLB feels like a classic album because it comes across as so effortless. Bomb sounds as though they tried to pump out the perfrect songs, but the feeling is missing (for me). I guess there's much more joy on ATYCLB, which makes it an album I keep wanting to listen to.

Oh, and 'Wild Honey' 'is a great track - another effortless sounding gem.

Why do people vote like that? It makes no sense. What if it comes out that one album wins 7 to 5 but those 7 are barely better but the other 5 are much much worse? Rate all songs and divide to get an average, although that still does not take flow, mood and themes into account.

By the way, I vote for HTDAAB due to stronger songs throughout, even though ATYCLB has a better flow and works better as a complete album.

Well HTDAAB wins in my opiniun, why? Because the band sound much stronger on HTDAAB, Bono's voice is so much stronger, Edge is playing much better.

Here's my list on the songs that I think is realy great on ATYCLB:

BD
SIAMAYCGOOI
Walk On
Kite
POE
WILATW

and the list for HTDAAB:

All, this is the thing with this album, theres no bad song on it. The only thing I miss on this is a atmosphere that was on UF,JT and AB.

Vetigo:
One of the strongest songs the band have done, this song is so good live, Bono voice in the "feel" line is very good. Underrated song.

Miracle Drug:
A good pop song

SYCMIOYO:
One of Bonos best moment to show where he shows that there is no other singer in this world that can sing with such a feeling, soul and passion. And Edge is playing guitar grand.

LAPOE:
This is a very good blues rock song, Bono and Edge are brilliant here.

COBL:
Power song

ABOY:
A good rock song

AMAAW:
Good song

CFYT:
Good song

OSC:
This century answer on First Time, and I likt First Time

OOTS:
Powerful song, Bono's vocals is brilliant.

Yahweh:
Powerful U2 sound

Fast Cars:
The band have fun, and when they have fun it realy gets great.

All that... starts off better (BD-Stuck beats Vertigo-MD), then Sometimes beats Elevation, a tie on Walk on-LAPOE and Kite over COBL.

So 3-1 and one tie in first half.

Another tie for ABOY and IALW, WH over AMAAW and Crumbs over POE

4-2 in the middle part and two ties.

After this, Bomb beats ATYCLB in the final 3 songs so it's 4-5. I like both albums, ATYCLB may have the edge in individual songs and I love the 1-7 tracks run, but Bomb is more consistent.

U2Man said:
voting song by song is silly.
bsp77 said:
Why do people vote like that? It makes no sense. What if it comes out that one album wins 7 to 5 but those 7 are barely better but the other 5 are much much worse? Rate all songs and divide to get an average, although that still does not take flow, mood and themes into account.

Aygo said:
Another thread like this?

As an album: All That You Can't Leave Behind

As a collection of songs: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

HTDAAB has more songs that I can listen to and not skip.

ATYCLB has more songs that I could listen to over and over and over.

It's a tough call, but I'd have to go with ATYCLB based on the few gems on that album.

HTDAAB is a good album, but I never ache to hear any of the songs on it. SYCMIOYO is good, but Kite is better. OOTS is beautiful, but Walk On is an anthem. Vertigo is fun, but Beautiful Day is more uplifting.

ultravioletluvv said:
HTDAAB has more songs that I can listen to and not skip.

ATYCLB has more songs that I could listen to over and over and over.

It's a tough call, but I'd have to go with ATYCLB based on the few gems on that album.

HTDAAB is a good album, but I never ache to hear any of the songs on it. SYCMIOYO is good, but Kite is better. OOTS is beautiful, but Walk On is an anthem. Vertigo is fun, but Beautiful Day is more uplifting.
I completely agree with all of this, word for word. Someone mentioned earlier that ATYCLB has the better flow, but to me HTDAAB has a much better flow...maybe better since any album since Achtung Baby, and it feels like the more complete album. And it has a higher number of strong tracks. However, ATYCLB, like you say, has two or three songs that you just have to listen to again and again, which is what makes it more of a "desert island" record than HTDAAB. Songs like 'Beautiful Day', 'Stuck in a Moment', 'Walk On', 'Kite', and 'In A Little While' have such an emotional quality. There's a vibe running through this album that gives it that lasting appeal. It could have been Eno and Lanois' production for all I know. I'm not sure what it is; it's almost indefinable. But whatever it is, it keeps me listening to it more than any other U2 album -- despite the fact that I don't think it's their best record. That has to count for something.

As for HTDAAB, I find myself playing its songs in my head more than ATYCLB...almost like it is best at seeping into my consciousness. Go figure.

Michael Griffiths said:
ATYCLB feels like a classic album because it comes across as so effortless. Bomb sounds as though they tried to pump out the perfrect songs, but the feeling is missing (for me). I guess there's much more joy on ATYCLB, which makes it an album I keep wanting to listen to.

Oh, and 'Wild Honey' 'is a great track - another effortless sounding gem.

:up: I agree with this.

I'm no HTDAAB hater by any means, but there is something truly magical about ATYCLB. The whole album has this warmth about it and it seems, as you said, quite effortless (in a good way). Also, I'm convinced Walk On is one of the best songs U2 has ever written. Walk On and Beautiful Day... :love: and New York is an amazing song, so underrated.

Michael Griffiths said:
I'm not sure what it is; it's almost indefinable. But whatever it is, it keeps me listening to it more than any other U2 album -- despite the fact that I don't think it's their best record. That has to count for something.
aye, exactly the same here

Well, I still think that despite loving ATYCLB too, HTDAAB is stronger and better.

ATYCLB has Beautiful Day New York and Elevation, but HTDAAB equals with Vertigo and COBL or even ABOY/MD.
One has Walk On and Stuck In A Moment, but the other has Sometimes and OOTS, that IMO are better.
Grace is one of my fav tracks from ATYCLB, but Yahweh is my alltime fav U2 song.

Then, I have LAPOE that is a powerful song, and ATYCLB gives me POE and WILATW that are weak songs against many other in their catalogue.

The only way where ATYCLB could win is AMAAW against IALW/Wild Honey. AMAAW is not among my favourite songs, but the other two I mentioned are very cool (yeah, I like Wild Honey!) and I love to play these last two in my guitar. AMAAW doesn't give any pleasure to play.

ATYCLB...........two of their finest tracks ("Beautiful Day" and "Walk On") while the rest is also above average U2. HTDAAB, even if you're a maniac for it, you have to admit has a LOT of weak spots.

Back
Top Bottom