ATYCLB V HTDAAB tracks 1-6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rjhbonovox said:
New York v Love and Peace - Tie

Can you please explain this? Because I read another posting where you actually give LAPOE a 10 out of 10... Best song on HTDAAB etc...

So that means you will give New York a 10 out of 10 also!
I mean, I really take every opinion seriously, but sometimes you are just losing it.

whasjoewahn said:
rjhbonovox said:
New York v Love and Peace - Tie

Can you please explain this? Because I read another posting where you actually give LAPOE a 10 out of 10... Best song on HTDAAB etc...

So that means you will give New York a 10 out of 10 also!
I mean, I really take every opinion seriously, but sometimes you are just losing it.

Yep both songs worth a 10, in my opinion. Why is giving New York a 10 losing it by the way? or giving Love and Peace Or Else losing it? Oh thanks for trawling thru my threads just to make sure I am consistent hehehe.:wink:

I just think a 10 for NY is a little bit strange... Songs like ´One´ deserve that qualification. Of course it´s your opinion, but I don´t see the 10 in a song like NY...

Everyone is entitled to his opinion. I give the live versions of Exit a 10, for example...(studio 9.5)

Yeah but New York is borderline terrible..its so forced. I would give it 6/10 tops..giving it 10/10 is like saying its as good as say, "The Fly" and that just isn't true ;)

Sleep Over Jack said:
Yeah but New York is borderline terrible..its so forced. I would give it 6/10 tops..giving it 10/10 is like saying its as good as say, "The Fly" and that just isn't true ;)

I totally agree here. The lyrics are also really important to rate a song... And looking at New York --> how can you give a 10 for this one?

Sleep Over Jack said:
Even the music in that song isn't so great...its all a bit of a hodge-podge of ideas.

In your opinion!

But in relation to the album its a great song, and easily one of the best songs on ATYCLB. For example I would rate Beautiful Day as a 9/10 and something like I still havent found 8/10.

Aw lighten up Imouttacontrol :wave: ! Its just a bit of fun and I find it really interesting this way, to compare the albums track by track, even if the results don't necessarily mean much in the end.
That said here's my verdict:

BD vs Vertigo: Draw
SIAMYCGOO vs MD: MD
Elevation vs SYCMIOYO: SYCMIOYO
WO vs LAPOE: WO
Kite vs COBL: DRAW
IALW vs ABOY: IALW
WH vs AMAAW: AMAAW
POE vs CFYT: DRAW
WILATW vs OSC: WILATW
NY vs OOTS: OOTS
Grace vs Yahweh: Yahweh
TGBHF vs FC: TGBHF

That's 7:8 by my reckoning or for those of you who are golfers:
2 up and one to go! Hope I've not offended anybody to much .:dance:

rjhbonovox said:

In your opinion!

But in relation to the album its a great song, and easily one of the best songs on ATYCLB. For example I would rate Beautiful Day as a 9/10 and something like I still havent found 8/10.

Its just awful. Its how NOT to do a rock song...The Fly, HMTMKMKM etc are perfect examples of getting it right.

ATYCLB by a clear margin for me. HTDAAB isn't even in sight.
Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite and In A Little While are far superior to their counterparts.

ImOuttaControl said:
I've just realized how kinda pointless most of these "vs" threads are when people compare basically "track 1 to track 1." I mean, on ATYCLB you have a fast song at #3(Elevation) and on HTDAAB you have a slow song(Sometimes). On song 6, you have a slow song(IALW) again against a fast song(ABOY). On song 5, you have a slower ballad(Kite) against a more upbeat song(COBL).

Seems silly to me. Wouldn't it make more sense to look at each album/songs individually, rate them, then come with an average?

Good point... albeit a frequently made point.

It's hard to know how to compare albums though. If you go through the two albums stocks and say "let's make one complete 11 track album" that's almost impossible because an album has a cohesive tone (or should) and you lose that by combining. Also difficult to just say "pick your 11 favorite songs total" and see which album has more songs in the top 11.

Point is, the track by track is not really worse than any other comparison method.

Back
Top Bottom