ATYCLB Revisited.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AchtungJedi said:
I love the industrial power of Mofo, and it sounds like U2 going all out.
I love Mofo, but to me it sounds more like U2 trying, musically, to do an Underworld track (and succeeding) than U2 going all out

cujo said:

Whereas, with ATYCLB, they made a rock record that incorporated sounds of artists from the past (Michael Griffiths, 2003). That's all fine... but technically they didn't really expand their sound, or their genre.
Well, I know it seems like nitpicking, but believe me it is important: I didn't say they made a rock record that incorporated sounds of artists from the past, but rather styles (specifically, soul styles) of artists of the past. Therefore, I do think that they expanded their genre if you look at it as the "U2 genre" and the fact that U2 had never done this before (with the rare exception of songs like 'Angel of Harlem'). Further, even if you wanted to stick with the sound aspect of it, there are sounds on ATYCLB they've never really used too much of before (a lot more piano and vocal harmony and certain synth sounds).

Last edited:
after listening to electrical storm(with a very bad solo)i have a feeling that u2,s next album will suck(or will not be anything that will move me and the world) like AB,JT,and war did.
or i might be wrong.

If I weren't such an animal rights person I'd find a pic of a dead horse and post it here:p

First of all....I will admit that Electrical Storm is an average song. Except when Bono goes "HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY". But anyway, they didn't work on Electrical Storm for very long. They perfected it, but it was just an average song. That's why they put it on the Greatest Hits, I think. The new album will kick your ass. Everybody has faith in them, except their biggest fans. We're their toughest critics. But people, just remember. U2 is not making this album to please you alone. Imagine having all these fans, and having to create something that you hope they all like. I'd probably go nuts.

I see the beauty of ATYCLB. And no, I'm not a teeny bopping Avril Lavigne fan. I loved the album the day it was released, before we knew if it would be popular or not. It just has a quality about it that I really enjoy. "Walk on" is my favorite U2 song. That or "Kite". Not sure....

I like the raw rock version of Electrical Storm, the version they didn't put on the best of for some reason.

Unless it was put on the b sides album. But I didn't buy the new best of, so I have no idea.

I think Electrical Storm is a great song and it really rocks. At least the version on the B-sides of the best of album does. And they have said the new album will be in the same direction as ES, however you'll never know. Things can take a whole different direction with U2. You never know it until the album is released.

david said:
I like the raw rock version of Electrical Storm, the version they didn't put on the best of for some reason.

Unless it was put on the b sides album. But I didn't buy the new best of, so I have no idea.

I think the rock version is much better. Remember the one they first aired, with the inclining guitar riff in the chorus? And in the middle, it said "Radio One". That version was better than both versions on Best of. I loved that song when I heard that version. But I lost it, and now all I have is the inferior album version.

But I lost it, and now all I have is the inferior album version.

I was one of the lucky ones that basically got all three versions (rough/radio, and of course the album and B-Side versions). I take it the rough version isn't floating too much anymore.

The_acrobat said:

I think the rock version is much better. Remember the one they first aired, with the inclining guitar riff in the chorus? And in the middle, it said "Radio One". That version was better than both versions on Best of. I loved that song when I heard that version. But I lost it, and now all I have is the inferior album version.
Heh, I had like five versions of that song before it came out (a couple were the same). It was a very confusing time to be a U2 fan...

I remember listening to the version you mentioned a lot more than any of the others (practically to the point of singing along to that damned echoey "RRRAAADDDIIIOOO OOONNNEEE"); it disappointed me not to hear that riff in all the other, more polished versions. Anyone still have that somewhere?

Last edited:
Initially I used to like the album, but I'm sick and tired of typing All That You Can't Leave Behind, so I dont like it.

Before ATYCLB came out I remember reading Bono, and I believe Brian Eno too, speaking about the challenge of creating music that evokes ?joy.? And there was the story of how Larry turned to Bono at the end of recording POP or was at the end of the PopMart Tour and said: ?What we really should do now is record an actual ?pop? album.? Also Bono talked about it being ?titanium soul.? In ATYCLB interviews they talked about listening to The Beatles (Revolver?) / The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds) / Motown music / etc. As Michael Griffiths has pointed out: ?we have Bono testing the waters of Otis Redding ('In A Little While'), John Lennon ('Peace on Earth' and even parts of 'Walk On'), Van Morrison ('Stuck'; 'Wild Honey'),?. Even 'Beautiful Day' and 'Elevation' are pumped up soul songs. What they've done with this, however, is to fuse it into the U2 guitar/rock medium,
and they've done this by incorporating the best sounds of U2's diverse canon. That all said, I do agree somewhat with the assertion that U2 did not produce much of an exciting landscape on this album. But, as mentioned, this album wasn't supposed to have one because it is a soul album. It's purely about melody and hook. That was the intent behind it, but I can see why people don't like it for that very reason, as well. This is why I love this band. They'll piss people off only to please others on every album. And the next album they'll please the pissed off ones only to piss off the pleased ones. Isn't it great?? I hear Simon & Garfunkel in certain places too. It took me awhile to get used to ATYCLB. I wasn?t used to a ?happier? U2. Some criticize ATYCLB for not being sonically adventurous enough; for not rockin? enough. May be true. But had U2 ever produced a ?joyful? ?soulful? ?pop? album before?

Even though there are some heavy topics if one looks underneath the surface of some sunny presentations (suicide, fatal illness, mid-life crisis, terrorist bombing, faith struggle). I believe the overall feel / mood of the album is quite bright and upbeat. I see it as the beginning of the next trilogy of albums ? The Jubilant Heart period. The new album may be more guitar driven and have a harder sound but I would expect it to continue the joyful theme. For almost 10 years we had become so accustomed to such a dark and experimental U2 - their The Prodigal Heart period. My God! They must have needed a break / change themselves. I think of heart wrenching loss of love on AB (So Cruel and Love Is Blindness); the loss of identity / direction on Zooropa (Numb and Zooropa); and the loss of faith on POP (If God Will Send His Angels and Wake Up Dead Man) and really hadn?t they reached rock bottom of darkness with Wake Up Dead Man? It seems so because the next song is sunshine screaming Beautiful Day. (I?m looking forward to more of that Beautiful Day guitar by The Edge!) At that same time, I look forward to U2 introducing me to different styles / genres of music and other artists. For example , R&H encouraged me to explore blues and folk rock music and artists such as Bo Diddley, B.B. King, Bob Dylan, etc. Sure, I prefer a couple beers with the late night clubs and alleyways, harder, darker Achtung Baby but I?m willing to occasionally go the beach on a Summer day with ATYCLB.

With U2 albums now averaging 3 and 4 years between releases I?d love see them continue to release about 4 singles (Part 1 and Part 2 for each single) per album but with more original B-Side songs included. For example ? all 8 singles could have 1 new song ? 1 remix ? and 1 live song. That way between the singles and soundtracks / band side projects we?d have 11 or 12 new songs. Literally enough to fill up a ?double album.? It would give more material to enjoy and ?tide us over? between releases. And it would provide the opportunity for those who were bowled over by that particular musical style / exploration to become even more immersed it and for those who had difficulty with it to have a ?second? album?s worth of material for a second chance.

ATYCLB WITH ALTERNATE VERSIONS & ?B-SIDES? CD-R

1.) Beautiful Day (4:06)
2.) Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix) (3:35)
3.) Walk On (Single Version / Nigel Goodrich) (4:11)
4.) Stuck In A Moment (Acoustic Version) (3:42)
5.) Kite (4:25)
6.) Summer Rain (4:06)
7.) Don?t Take Your Guns To Town (4:11)
8.) Wild Honey (3:47)
9.) Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix) (3:00)
10.) In A Little While (3:40)
11.) Always (3:46)
12.) New York (Nice Mix) (5:43)
13.) Electrical Storm (Band Version) (4:26)
14.) The Ground Beneath Her Feet (3:44)
15.) Peace On Earth (4:49)
16.) Stateless (4:05)
17.) When I Look At The World (4:14)
18.) Falling At Your Feet (4:54)
19.) Grace (5:45)

Approx. time - 79:34

If there were 90 minute CD-Rs I would add:
20.) L ?Incontro (Edit) (1:03) - Bono reciting the poem that opens the song - after Kite
21.) ?Daybreak? (Instrumental - David Holmes Remix of Beautiful Day) (5:33) after New York
22.) What?s Going On? (The London Version)(3:57?) Bono / Edge / Eno / Martin after The Ground Beneath Her Feet

P.S. I think the ?Joy? duet with Mick Jagger and Bono contains the spirit of ATYCLB both with it?s title and it?s lyrics. Apparently Stuck In A Moment was recorded with the backing vocals Mick Jagger and one of his daughters but it has not been released.

JOY

Oh joy, love you bring
Oh joy, make my heart my sing

And I drove across the desert
I was in my four wheel drive
I was looking for the Buddha
And I saw the Jesus Christ

He smiled and shrugged his shoulders
And lit a cigarette
Said jump for joy, make some noise
Remember what I said
Oh yeah!

My soul is like a ruby
And I threw it in the earth
But now my hands are bleeding
From scrabbling in the dirt
And I looked up to the heavens
And a light is on my face
I never never never
Thought I'd find a state of grace

Oh joy, love you bring
Oh joy, make my heart my sing
Oh joy, joy in everything

Joy, joy, joy, oh joy
Joy, joy, joy, oh joy

I was drowning in the darkness
As I drove down to the sea

Oh Joy, joy, joy, oh joy
And I looked up to the mountain
And the light
Burst over me
Joy, joy, joy / Yeah, hey
Oh joy / Oh joy ah
You make me sing

Oh joy, the love you bring / Joy, joy, joy
Oh joy / (joy)
You make me sing
Oh joy, in everythang, in everythang, in everything / Joy, joy, joy, oh joy

In everything / Jump for joy
Jump for joy
Exultai / Jump for joy, yeah

Mmh, jump for joy
Jump for joy
You make me sing / Jump for joy

Love we bring / Oh yeah, oh yeah
In everything / Uh huh
In everything

Bono talked about how he was inspired to write Kite by afternoon spent with his kids kite flying. I think his reciatation of the opening verses of L?Incontro could make a beautiful intro to Kite.

While like a giant - proud and happy
I take my baby in my arms
Fragile, innocent and alive
And like a little bird he?s
Pushing against my chest
Abandoned quiet and safe
For an instant almost sweetly
My destiny appears to me like a dream
And I see myself, old and surrendered,
Seated there near the coal fire
Waiting for the evening with the anxiety of a child,
Just to see him coming back home
With the gift of his smile
Of his words and kindness
It?s like a promise that can solve the enormous joy
Of one of his caresses.
Then I wake up and I?ve already forgotten
But inside of me the kid?s trapped soul advises me
That this new born child is already more important to me
Than that of my own life

ATYCLB PART I

1.) Beautiful Day (4:06)
2.) Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix) (3:35)
3.) Walk On (Single Version / Nigel Goodrich) (4:11)
4.) Stuck In A Moment (Acoustic Version) (3:42)
5.) Joy (4:45?) Mick Jagger / Bono / Pete Townsend
6.) L ?Incontro / Kite (1:03) + (4:25) = (5:28)
7.) Summer Rain (4:06)
8.) Don?t Take Your Guns To Town (4:11)
9.) Wild Honey (3:47)
10.) Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix) (3:00)
11.) In A Little While (3:40)

ATYCLB PART Il

1.) Always (3:46)
2.) New York (Nice Mix) (5:43)
3.) ?Daybreak? (Instrumental - David Holmes Remix of Beautiful Day) (5:33)
4.) Electrical Storm (Band Version) (4:26)
5.) The Ground Beneath Her Feet (3:44)
6.) What?s Going On? (The London Version)(3:57?) Bono / Edge / Eno / Martin
7.) Peace On Earth (4:49)
8.) Stateless (4:05)
9.) When I Look At The World (4:14)
10.) Falling At Your Feet (4:54)
11.) Grace (5:45)

Back
Top Bottom