atyclb really didnt cut it for this guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
In a thread in a forum, of a band which i will not say, the question was asked "albums you own but dont like"

this individual clearly had no doubt about it. the part about the burglar even hating the cd is especially precious, read on.

----

U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind.

I was burgled last year and had about 80 CD's nicked. I discovered my copy of this laying on my front lawn the following morning.

I spent the following 6 months dreaming which CD I would have preferred to find there in its place.

I haven't played it since, I hate it.

----

wow , it's too much , i mean it's not my fave album but some songs are pretty good , but doesn't deserve 'hate' sticker on it , that's for sure .

With an attitude like that, I'm glad he was robbed. Yep, you read that right - I'm HAPPY he had suffered the pilfering prestidigitation of thieves. ;)

Tabby said:
ATYCLB is such a sweet album from the guys' hearts. It's sad to hear it spoken of in such a way. I'm sure the robber only dropped it while he was running.

this has to be the lamest reply ever. who wants "such a sweet album from the guy's hearts" anyway?!?!?!

theyre a rock and roll band!!!!!!

maybe you were being sarcastic, and in that case, i apologize for unleashing fury.

Zoomerang96,

I take it you do not like ATYCLB by what you say above. Rock music can be sweet, in fact it can be anything. Its music. The quality of the music is what is most important, not if the amp is turned up to 11, or the tempo is competitive with early Metallica.

sting2 you are correct in everything you said.

however....

i dont mind atyclb but i find it grotesquely over-rated, similiar as to how salome feels we interferencers love pop to the point of him thinking its over-rated.

well to me the outside world loves u2's latest offering too much, and has discredited all the achievements u2 created in the nineties.

that is the biggest thing ive come to dislike.

pop wails ass over atyclb.

that is ofcourse, my opinion.

in the words of Ed McMahon, you are correct, sir

and this is exactly it, you put your thumb on it, the reason I am growing a bit resentful of ATYCLB is because the mainstream has heeped praise on it while dumping on everything from the 90s, saying things like, "U2 have come back from the dead, I put my unit between the inner circle of the cd and pump away, that's how much I love this cd"

That's kinda funny, well not really... someone broke into my house last week and stole all my cds, about 150 of them (except for AB, POP and Zooropa, and a couple of others that were thankfully in my backpack). Thing is that if I could get any of those cds back, ATYCLB wouldn't be anywhere near the top. Sorry, just didn't really cut is for me either...

The Wanderer said:

and this is exactly it, you put your thumb on it, the reason I am growing a bit resentful of ATYCLB is because the mainstream has heeped praise on it while dumping on everything from the 90s, saying things like, "U2 have come back from the dead, I put my unit between the inner circle of the cd and pump away, that's how much I love this cd"

From what I've read in the press, it's mostly POP that got the dumping. I certainly haven't read any critic bagging AB.

I will most certainly find good homes for your used unwanted ATYCLB cd's. Just pm me and I will send you my mailing address.

EPandAmerica said:
I will most certainly find good homes for your used unwanted ATYCLB cd's. Just pm me and I will send you my mailing address.

Yeah! Me too!

I have "Pop." I liked it in '97... but when I listened to it recently, it just didn't do anything for me.

I never liked "Wake Up..." and while I loved the "ba ba's" in "Miami" that screaming at the end just ruined the song. "Do You Feel Loved" is just a waste of space for me - I'm glad U2 didn't perform it live (except that one time). "Mofo" is fun, but can "If God Will Send His Angels" be any more boring? I have to skip that song otherwise I'm sleeping.

I tried to listen to "Pop" twice one day. The first time brought back memories of '97. That was fun. The second time showed me how much I really did NOT like this album. In fact, I've come to the conclusion that the only reason I liked "Pop" so much in '97 was because it was simply new U2. As some fans have written in other threads, U2 could have recorded Bono talking to a toilet and I would have been thrilled that it was new U2. :D But sadly, "Pop" just hasn't stood the test of time with me.

Now, with ATYCLB, I can easily listen to the entire album over and over. It's been in my car CD system (I have a 10 CD holder) since 2000 and it has not left. I had this same car in '97 and "Pop" didn't even complete the year in the CD holder.

I agree, ATYCLB is "softer" than other U2 works. But is it really *that* much different? "Babyface", "Some Days..." "If God Will Send...", "Staring at the Sun", "The First Time", "Love is Blindness" - these are all slower, simpler U2 songs that could have possibly found a spot on ATYCLB.

Maybe the public has praised ATYCLB a little too much. But after enduring the relative indifference of the "Zooropa" era and the backlash of the "Pop" era, I'm THRILLED to have the critics and public liking U2 again. Maybe some of you like your U2 only when it seems that no one else does. This way you can keep them all to yourselves. Selfish b*stards! ;)

'Who wants a sweet album from the guys' hearts?'- I DO! You say 'they're a rock and roll band!' but I assume you are one of those Pop fans who didn't like ATCYLB- what's so 'rock' about Pop? Don't say Discotheque, it's more dance and techno. Don't say MOFO, that was techno. Other than Gone, I hear no 'rock and roll' on Pop! Look at ALL their stuff- look at JT- I love it, but how much of it really 'rocks'? Streets and Bullet, but that's all. What about UF? It's more arty than rock. War, there is SBS and NYD. AB, there is a lot of rock, but is "One" rock? No, it's a 'sweet song from the guys' hearts!' So, in the end, what is rock and roll? They are a rock band, but maybe everyone has their own definition of what 'rock' really is, but whatever it is to any of us, U2 has done a bit of all of it.

It's a shame you can't appreciate ATYCLB for all that it is. Maybe you just don't 'get it';) :lol:

Last edited:
POP is much better than All that you can't leave behind , more rock'n'roll stuff more interesting and experimental studio work .

pinkfloyd said:
POP is much better than All that you can't leave behind , more rock'n'roll stuff more interesting and experimental studio work .

Pop is much worse than ATYCLB! :yawn: Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into another Pop fight, but when someone bashes ATYCLB, it's probably because they're a Pop fan who couldn't accept the change in the band. There was no need for the rudeness he posted on this thread. Can you image what would happen if I posted "My dog chewed up my copy of Pop and shit all over it and I'm glad! At least it wasn't something I enjoyed like John Denver's greatest hits!" I heard hardly any rock on Pop. It was a very anti-rock album. But as I said, what IS rock? There are plenty of fans here who love both Pop and ATYCLB. Are any of their albums the stereotypical definition of rock, or is it just what we choose to label as rock? So does it really matter?

Last edited:
and miami is one of the best songs U2 ever recorded , i didn't said that Atyclb is shit or something , yes elevation tour was much better than pop mart , yes videos popmart was better than elevation boston , and yes bootlegs from Elevation tour are more interesting than pop mart boots , it's a useless fight anyway .

U2Kitten said:

Pop is much worse than ATYCLB! :yawn: Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into another Pop fight, but when someone bashes ATYCLB, it's probably because they're a Pop fan who couldn't accept the change in the band. There was no need for the rudeness he posted on this thread. Can you image what would happen if I posted "My dog chewed up my copy of Pop and shit all over it and I'm glad! At least it wasn't something I enjoyed like John Denver's greatest hits!" I heard hardly any rock on Pop. It was a very anti-rock album. But as I said, what IS rock? There are plenty of fans here who love both Pop and ATYCLB. Are any of their albums the stereotypical definition of rock, or is it just what we choose to label as rock? So does it really matter?

u2kitten, id appreciate you NOT lecturing me on what rock is and it isnt. i have a firm grasp on that, thank you.

have you heard the clip of the hands that built? how sweet, yet another soft ballad. why dont we all just become aerosmith.

when bono brags and says so much lame shit all the time about how "theyre the greatest band in the world" - that pompous and rediculous remark only deserves to get critiscm. live up to your own arrogant remarks bono, and create rock - not bubblegum pop.

honestly if bsb wrote stuck in a moment, youd bitch about it. it could be song by any boy band.

pop DID rock, again, dont lecture me on what discoteque and mofo sounds like, cause ive them before. i also know that songs like the NATIONAL ANTHEM and IDIOTEQUE by radiohead dont even use guitars but still rock! discoteque and mofo and certainly do you feel loved use guitars and they do "rock."

rock does not constitute guitars as mandatory, its the whole vibe and feeling. and there is not of that vibe or feeling on more than 2 of the songs on atyclb.

U2Kitten said:
'Who wants a sweet album from the guys' hearts?'- I DO! You say 'they're a rock and roll band!' but I assume you are one of those Pop fans who didn't like ATCYLB- what's so 'rock' about Pop? Don't say Discotheque, it's more dance and techno. Don't say MOFO, that was techno. Other than Gone, I hear no 'rock and roll' on Pop!

AAAACH!!! This is what bothers me most about POP. It makes me wonder if some people ever really listen to music with an open mind, or are their tastes completely warped by what critics and media say. Because believe me that is what the whole POP debacle was about. There was a buzz about the album being techno/dance influenced, that turned into everyone thinking that the album was a complete techno/dance album that was completely un-U2, oh how horrible, they are so lame, what happened to my big U2 anthems, blah fucking blah.

Well when I listen to Pop, I hear U2 of the past, present and future. The lyrics are AMAZING - and I hear ROCK. Discotheque techno/dance???? It is big drums and one of the most amazing rock guitar riffs of all time. Mofo is also just a HUGE rock song with a bit of a techno groove. Edge's "747 guitar" on that song is just amazing. And Mofo is not so much "fun" as it is an amazing, heart-wrenching, soul-twisting plea to bono's late mother. Gone is rock, Last Night on Earth is as rock as it gets, staring at the sun is a rock song, Miami is a rock song.

This album continues to amaze me everytime i listen to it. Just how brave it was, how incredibly personal material is wrapped up in these driving pumping tunes, and then the beauty of songs like Velvet dress and Wake Up Dead Man to finish it off. It is a great record.

I also love ATYCLB, but Pop just edges it out on my top U2 album list.

Wait a second, how did we get from bear quoting a person who dislikes ATYCLB to the everlasting "go POP, boo ATYCLB" debate?

True, ATYCLB is closest to mainstrem U2 has ever been, but on the other hand, JT remains best selling U2 album, and as far as i know, it was the only album that had 2 No. 1 US singles.
And i have yet to hear a person say JT is "mainstream" or "U2 selling out".

I prefer ATYCLB, because the lyrics reach out to me more than any other U2 album and because it has really powerful songwriting. And i do think U2 is best at writing big rock anthems, though "to everything there is a season" and "to each his own".

womanfish said:

AAAACH!!! This is what bothers me most about POP. It makes me wonder if some people ever really listen to music with an open mind, or are their tastes completely warped by what critics and media say. Because believe me that is what the whole POP debacle was about. There was a buzz about the album being techno/dance influenced, that turned into everyone thinking that the album was a complete techno/dance album that was completely un-U2, oh how horrible, they are so lame, what happened to my big U2 anthems, blah fucking blah.

AAAACCCCHHHH!!!!! This bullshit again?! Why is it no one can dislike the album without having been 'brainwashed' by the media, or being 'closed minded?' (I don't even want to get into the 'not getting it') I don't want to debate albums but I will defend my personal integrity here. I happen to have a very wide variety of musical tastes- just yesterday a friend was laughing looking through my cd case, saying no one else in the world could possibly have such diverse tastes. In with the U2 I had everything from John Denver to Abba to The Cars to They Might Be Giants to Def Leppard to The Offspring to Led Zeppelin!

For your information, the media does NOT influence me, or make up my mind what I like or don't like. Most of my favorite shows and movies have been trounced by the media while most of the ones they like I hate! I really never even heard anything about Pop in the media. I just don't like the sound of it so I don't want to listen to it. If the media had loved it, I still wouldn't have. I don't care what they say, I care what I like to listen to! But some people cannot accept the fact that lots of fans just didn't like it and always have to blame the media, or think there must be something inherently wrong with them inside, which is degrading and insulting. If you had read my entire post you would also see how I said most of their songs on all the albums don't fit the traditional definition of rock, and each person must have a different standard of labeling it. I should have just ignored this thread when I saw how negative and unecessary it was.

There is probably one album by just about every one of my favorite bands or artists that I don't like. It really shouldn't be a big deal. Good idea, I think I'll go start a thread about this- albums you dislike by artists you otherwise love!

Last edited:
I have no qualms with anyone that can not stand hearing a certain U2 album. (perhaps that is even overstating the case for most of us here, but I am sure the point is understood)

It is an unfortunate situation and I am sorry for your loss.

pinkfloyd said:

I agree with you, but that doesn't take away from the fact that ATYCLB is also an INCREDIBLE album! Why must we always pit U2 albums against each other? For me, it's one of those "if-then" statements we learned in math back in the day...

"IF it's U2, THEN it rocks!"

Period. :happy:

The Wanderer said:

I am of very similar mind. I feel kinda bad soemtimes, because I like the songs on ATYCLB (not enough to make it a fav album), but I end up putting it down more because of what it represents

Zoomerang96 said:
sting2 you are correct in everything you said.

however....

i dont mind atyclb but i find it grotesquely over-rated, similiar as to how salome feels we interferencers love pop to the point of him thinking its over-rated.

well to me the outside world loves u2's latest offering too much, and has discredited all the achievements u2 created in the nineties.

that is the biggest thing ive come to dislike.

pop wails ass over atyclb.

that is ofcourse, my opinion.

Good point.......

Although I love ATYCLB and think that it is U2's most cohesive work since AB, POP was certainly more daring and creative.

I am ambivalent in regard to the overwhelming popularity of ALL THAT.... on one hand it is good since U2 is a great band and I like it when others enjoy them and they are omnipresent; however, sometimes when it seems like "everyone" likes something, the credibility is hurt b/c it seems commercial, over-played and ultimately there is a backlash......I hope the next album rocks harder......MBH

The Wanderer said:

I know what you mean, even though I like ATYCLB. I hate this Pop-bashing @$&#. I think Pop is a horrifically under-rated album and the press went after it with some truly shameful vengeance. Sometimes I even wonder if they listened to the damn thing. I love ATYCLB, but I don't like this comparison stuff that the media was throwing in my face last year. To me it's just apples and oranges, they are different albums.

U2Kitten said:

Pop is much worse than ATYCLB! :yawn: Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into another Pop fight, but when someone bashes ATYCLB, it's probably because they're a Pop fan who couldn't accept the change in the band.

the change in the band?!?!?! wtf are you talking about???? the band went backwards and made the type of album I would have expected them to make a decade ago on the heels of the JT/ R&H era; they did nothing progressive and innovative, they did manage to make a decent record with a handful of tunes that are excellent U2 songs, but they took absolutely no chances, they resisted challenging themselves and Bono's lyrics are completely blase, though he tries hard to connect with big anthems and themes, we've heard this story before, sure Bono tells it better than just about anyone in music today, but mostly it just sounds generic or worse yet, pedantic

and where the fuck isAdam on that record??? please please please bring back Flood!!! :angry:
the irony in it all is that ATYCLB is the "pop" record

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom