ATYCLB Is Released As The Title On This Day...8/20/00...Thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
On August 20, 2000, U2 announces All That You Can't Leave Behind as the title of their next album on the band's official web site. They also confirm a late Autumn release date and the full track listing for the album.

Much has been written, and much will be written about U2's masterpiece ATYCLB. Whatever you may think, or not think of it, it was truly a breakthrough album for U2, followed by one of their most successful tours that U2 have ever been a part of. Along with a tour that also saw U2 give their fans general admission, and who could ever forget the experience of being in 'the heart' and seeing U2 that up close and personal. And last but not least, able to share all of our thoughts about the album, the tour , and each show with fans here in Interference.

So as two years have come and gone, and we have all been able to listen repeatedly, as well as thoroughly to the album, what thoughts still linger from those first moments when you listened to the new album, or you feel just as passionate about the album still today, whether it be a particular song, lyric, the promotional tour, the Elevation tour, and more importanly in line with this post, the title as it first grabbed your attention with All That You Can't Leave Behind. Your personal thoughts and honest observations are welcomed.

Chris

The first time I heard it, it didn't hit me as hard as it would in the following months (I got it in November of that year, when my U2 fan-ship wasn't extreme). It ended up being the soundtrack to life....carrying me through various personal disappointments and heartaches, as well as the joys and elations of life. The Elevation Tour gave me my first U2 live experience, one I shall never forget. Although maybe not their best album, ATYCLB is definitely the one closest to my heart...a true classic in my terms.:up:

I could not possibly ever find the right words to describe how U2's music makes me feel, the way I felt listening to ATYCLB for the first time, or the way I felt seeing/hearing them live, withing a couple of feet from me...
Joy, maybe is the right word to descibe the whole experience, or I could use their own words, they shot me like gun, they Elevated and continue to Elevate my Soul.
I don't know if I will ever again be so lucky to see and hear them up close, or have Bono sing looking in my eyes, or have the pleaseure to watch The Edge make love with his hands right in front of me or to witness the awesome interaction between Larry and Adam or feel the energy and love between the band and us the fans...I don't know, but I have the memories, the photos, the bootlegs, the stories and the dried rose petals.
Thank You once again, U2!
1055.jpg

When I first listened to ATYCLB I honestly wasn't all that impressed. I thought it was a nice collection of pleasant little tunes, but that was about it. I kind of put it aside, although I continued playing my other U2 albums all the time. Then sometime during the summer of 2001 I started listening to ATYCLB again, and it began to grow on me - mainly because of Elevation, Walk On and Kite. Then I saw the Elevation concert on VH1 on Thanksgiving weekend - and that's when it officially kicked in for me. I realized these four guys are still "The Best Band in the World" and that I need them - and the world needs them - now more than ever.

It has been wonderful to see so many young people becoming huge U2 fans over the past two years. I was beginning to think rock and roll no longer existed as a vital force in society, but now I have hope once again.

I think it sucks.:down:

....just kidding.....:lmao: :D

NicaMom said:
I could not possibly ever find the right words to describe how U2's music makes me feel, the way I felt listening to ATYCLB for the first time, or the way I felt seeing/hearing them live, within a couple of feet from me...
Joy, maybe is the right word to descibe the whole experience, or I could use their own words, they shot me like a gun, they Elevated and continue to Elevate my Soul.
I don't know if I will ever again be so lucky to see and hear them up close, or have Bono sing looking in my eyes, or have the pleasure to watch The Edge make love with his hands right in front of me or to witness the awesome interaction between Larry and Adam or feel the energy and love between the band and us the fans...I don't know, but I have the memories, the photos, the bootlegs, the stories and the dried rose petals.
Thank You once again, U2!

Mariana, that was so beautifully written, and captured how I was feeling about the album and tour that enveloped that one word so eloquently...Joy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories.

Chris

I remember when i first came on this site (thanks to Acrob@t) as he said that new U2 songs were downloadable here. And so i looked at the place, first i read people's comments and thinking "should i do it or should i wait" - not for too long. :D

So one evening, i sat down in front of my computer, not really sure what to expect (come to think of it, i was prepared for more guitar stuff a la BD as i saw the video before) - judging by most comments i thought Stuck, Walk on would be best.

I think Stuck was the first one that i downloaded (i still think it's their most beautiful song musically) - i got this huge feeling of warmth and happiness inside - and from that moment on, all the songs just seemed to sink into my heart. I liked everything (except Peace on Earth which seemed dull on that 30 sec snippet) instantly and it felt really special and exciting to have another album (after AB) that i would enjoy so quickly and totally, and i really didn't think i could relate to so many lyrics. I was really really impressed.

My favorite was IALW, though. I'd play the snippets over and over again, always starting with that song - "that girl that girl" part just melted me. :)

And then people started saying "...and we haven't even heard WILATW yet!" - so i thought even if i disliked it there's still the rest of the album to enjoy. But when that clip came, i was mesmerized by those keyboards (i didn't think it was possible to hear anything better than the TTTYAATW keyboards - but i was wrong).

To make the long story short, ATYCLB became the first U2 album i own (WAIA techically not an album), and it is i think the only album i bought on the day of its release.

And to think this was all just a start of something that would eventually enable me to follow up the Elevation tour through the fan stories, have a go at getting the tickets, and - most incredible of all - experience U2 in a way i never thought was possible for me (bootlegs!) thanks to the generousity of some great souls in here.
Also what felt pretty amazing was sharing U2 articles whenever they appeared in our local press, sharing the news about European Stuck video, the incredible kindness at several times...

Last edited:
atycleavebehind..

I remember hearing the snippets on u2.com. "Where I grew up, there were many trees..." and "Who's to say where the wind will take you.." :sick: I was forceful and did not let myself download any of the songs circulating on Napster (although apparently many were not the real songs?) - until they did the BBC special.

I'll NEVER forget hearing the first song off that album: Stuck. I know it's a little cliched right now, but back then- hearing this song first. I was standing up, I couldn't hear it ENOUGH, I had tears in my eyes, my hands were shaking- I knew we were in for a treat! I was late to my class and as I ran through the campus I saw two acquanticies and grabbed them and was all jumping around telling them how i Just heard the new U2 song and they both :rolleyes: but I was flying so high it didn't care.

I was thrilled to hear the new title, too! sounded awesome, as usual- always something beneath the skin. And then to hear the title repeated in Walk On I got so excited!! :D

I'll stop there, as I could go on forever about buying their CD at midnight, all the shows and all the songs and how this recent era has changed my life..

"Walk On" however has got to be one of the few things that got me through some bad stuff of senior year. :heart::heart::heart:

and the tour....

ok.. shhhh...

It's a great title, All That You Can't Leave Behind

It fits my life so well right now.

<-points to location

All That You Can't Leave behind is a beautiful album. It'sa classic, and I know when I'm 25 years old I'll listen to it and remember when I was 16 and first got into U2. The Elevation tour was the most amazing thing ever, with a string of nights that I could say were my young life's best. The combined feeling of anticipation as U2 walked out on stage and I saw them live for the first time ever was amazing. And the last show, NY, their best Elevation show IMO playing Out of Control and dancing, singing with the NYFD and EMS. That was incredibly emotional. Thanks U2 for such a great album. I burned out on U2 recently but now I'm itching my way back up. Thanks.

I'm still not wild about the title. It breaks the U2 streak of having each studio album start with a different letter of the alphabet; we already had an A (Achtung Baby ). Why not just 'Leave It Behind'?

at first, it was my favorite album period.

now i dont even listen to it.

probably once in the last 10 months?

i just dont dig adult contemporary, sue me.

PopFly said:
I'm still not wild about the title. It breaks the U2 streak of having each studio album start with a different letter of the alphabet; we already had an A (Achtung Baby ). Why not just 'Leave It Behind'?
:laugh:

i always thought the title was too long, esp. when paired with the song stuck. if you watch the video on tv, it's like:

U2
stuck in a moment you can't get out of
all that you can't leave behind

that always cracked me up for some reason... :uhoh:

Shortly before my 16th birthday, U2 released the Joshua Tree. I remember the first time I listened to it like it was yesterday. It remains to this very day an album that I can not separate from my memories as a teenager. It is the soundtrack of my teenaged life. Forever embedded in my mind as the Guardian Angel of my youth.

Shortly after the birth of my first child, U2 released All That You Can't Leave Behind. Of course, I still remember the first time I listened to it like it was yesterday. It continues to this day to be the dominant sound of my new fatherhood. It was only fitting that my first was born on the very day that Beautiful Day was first aired on the radio (August 31st, 2000). This album is becoming the soundtrack of my life as a father. Slowly embedding itself in my mind as the Guardian Angel of my family.

Now I have two Guardian Angels.

Personally, I've been sticking close to my bootlegs.
Rotterdam 97' rocks.
icon_moon.gif

Not to forget KC and about 100 other Elevation tour shows.:up:

Last edited:
Roland of Gilead, that was beautiful. Really. Thanks. :up:

ATYCLB was released when I was right in the middle of a difficult period in my life, worsened by a mid-life crisis I?m still trying to figure out, paraphrasing Bono. The album will always have a very special place in my heart.

Back
Top Bottom