ATYCLB – I Like It!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Semantics.

What camp are you talking about? :confused:
The only camp I see is two posters jumping at my posts.

(I responded to your posts in a non-conflicting way, IMO)

Last edited:
i can't even keep track oif whos saying what on here. but yes, the was something that i left off my rant about what ATYCLB meat to me. i felt that set a standard for older artists to write modern classics. like bruce springsteen with his 2002 album, the rising.

to whoever ,lol they had to write ATYCLB,lol that was the only logical thing next. why dose no one address the trilogy theory? that i said before. it's been how they havce done things for 25 years. boy/oct/war ... fire/tree/rattle ..... baby/zooropa/pop ... ATYCLN/HTDAAB/??????

Christ on a bloody bike . *distant memory* Weren't we discussing ATYCLB somewhere in this thread, at some point rather than name-calling? ('Britney-lover' is a term that I wouldn't inflict upon even my worst enemy... unless i had good evidence. :p)

Of course there are flaws in ATYCLB but, in my opinion, it's a great album. It's constantly on my stereo at work.

U2girl said:

Lol, yes, U2's music is sooo un-radio like.

Songs like Pride, New Year's Day, WOWY, I still haven't found, Streets, One, MW, Even better..., Who's gonna ride, Discotheque, Staring at the sun - no radio station would EVER play those.
(Rememeber Bono thanked US college radio when they won the Grammy for Joshua Tree)

You always trash ATYCLB, so why should it stop now?

what are you talking about? are you trying to be sarcastic, cause i can't tell. i mean, you probably are, it's just delivered awkwardly.

and stop calling me a "90's worshipper". i enjoy the 80's u2 nearly as much.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
Christ on a bloody bike . *distant memory* Weren't we discussing ATYCLB somewhere in this thread, at some point rather than name-calling? ('Britney-lover' is a term that I wouldn't inflict upon even my worst enemy... unless i had good evidence. :p)

Of course there are flaws in ATYCLB but, in my opinion, it's a great album. It's constantly on my stereo at work.

britney's 'toxic' was one of the best pop songs of 2004. seriously.

Zoomerang96 said:

britney's 'toxic' was one of the best pop songs of 2004. seriously.

As much as I dislike Britney's "music"...I'd have to agree with that. It's seriously one of the catchiest songs I've heard in a while.

sallycinnamon78 said:

Lord help me!

what's so hard to believe about it? she works with some of the best producers in the world.

still, kylie, i think anyway, makes the best pop music around. 'can't get you out of my head' is classic.

Zoomerang96 said:

what's so hard to believe about it? she works with some of the best producers in the world.

still, kylie, i think anyway, makes the best pop music around. 'can't get you out of my head' is classic.

I'm sorry, I just cannot abide Britney Spears - to my ears at least, she sounds like a tone-deaf cat being skewered with a red hot corkscrew. All a matter of personal taste I guess!

I also have a problem with her appearing in Rolling Stone on a kiddies bike, wearing the skimpiest shorts known to mankind, with the word "baby" scrawled on her barely covered arse, clutching a Tinky Winky doll. Yes I know it was years ago, and she probably did it because she was told to, but it was still bloody atrocious in my opinion.

Anyway this has nothing to do with ATYCLB. Elevation makes my ears bleed, but I personally would rather listen to Bono's painful "woohooing" on loop than anything by Britney.
That said - I admit Toxic is quite catchy. Still doesn't make it any good - in my opinion - it just has this nasty habit of invading my head occasionally.

Last edited:
um, i'm sorry, are my posts invisble? lol this is not a brttany spears debate!! OMG i say u2 works in trios of albums, disagree with me or agree? no more name calling,lol

Indeed. Sorry! I think that was my 1st real off-topic thread since I joined here. The BritneySpears-bashing was a device used to avert the ATYCLB-bashing. A cunning plan worthy of Baldrick.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:

Kylie :drool: ,,, And i MUST repeat :drool: :drool: :drool:

I need to add :drool: to my post,,, :drool:

yimou said:

Kylie :drool: ,,, And i MUST repeat... :drool: :drool: :drool:

...looks like a genetically modified horse. An attractive horse (if you like that sort of thing), but a horse nonetheless.

Okay, I've been up all night and am just being silly now, so back to ATYCLB.

lazarus said:

So I believe the first shots were fired from your camp.

Now I do have a recollection of who you are from a previous forum. You are an old friend for u2wire, so welcome aboard!

Unlike the older forum which was not moderated, the U2 fans in this forum are very respectful and intelligent. Moreover, there are less trolls here (but they get booted out of the forum immediately anyway) and everyone keeps an open mind.

Gone are the days of "thug mentality" from previous forums where members were divided into "camps" who would pick on each other. This is a very peace-loving forum. So please don't use violent metaphors such as "the first shots were fired from your camp."

First of all, we have no camps here. We are all united in the love for U2. Second, people here don't fire shots at each other or risk getting banned. Third, perhaps your relative inexperience in this forum is leading you to write these kinds of harsh remarks which you don't really mean.

Being an experienced member here, with 2 years of participation and almost 1500 posts - I can help you with the ins and outs of this forum. But since this post is diverting too far off topic already, perhaps let's have our discussion in private email. Drop me an email in atyclb4ever@yahoo.com and I'll give you a survival guide to this forum and help you formulate friendly posts with the correct choice of words.

I'd just like to say that there is a world of difference in a moderated forum and an unmoderated forum. Nevertheless, welcome back old friend!

Cheers,

J

Zoomerang96 said:

what are you talking about? are you trying to be sarcastic, cause i can't tell. i mean, you probably are, it's just delivered awkwardly.

and stop calling me a "90's worshipper". i enjoy the 80's u2 nearly as much.

I'm replying to your "argument" of ATYCLB being written for the radio mainstream.

Quit following me and singling my posts out.
I can call your posts whatever I choose to.

bathiu said:

Don't worry about this vocal minority, we have a decade to celebrate those Britney-lovers have a year 2000 and nothing more... because I dare anyone to say that HTDAAB is the same/close to ATYCanLB, people that think that way need a serious, long psychiatric treatment.

I dare say it!

*looks forward to a serious, long psychiatric treatment. :drool:

The fact that you think HTDAAB is so radically different than ATYCLB is a bit alarming. But worse is that you think people need therapy if they disagree with you. :eyebrow:

To me, HTDAAB is a harder-edged (no pun intended) ATYCLB. However, the basic elements of the song structures and themes (family, religion, NYC) remain. The two albums complement each other well.

I thoroughly enjoy ATYCLB. It's one of my favorite. I like HTDAAB a bit better though as I like the heavier guitar sound that I felt was a bit lacking on ATYCLB and I feel Bono's lyrics and vocals are stronger. This is an *overall* sentiment. Do not pick out a song by song comparison. For example, "Walk On" is brilliant and I'm saddened it wasn't a bigger hit (at least it was acknowledged for the prestigious "Record of the Year" Grammy). But *overall*, I feel HTDAAB is a bit better. This in no way is meant to disparage AYTLCB. In fact, I feel that HTDAAB builds on the themes and images created on ATYCLB, just as JT built on what was created on UF. The two go together well. ATYCLB was just what U2 and the world needed in 2000. But HTDAAB is what we need now.

jick said:
Being an experienced member here, with 2 years of participation and almost 1500 posts - I can help you with the ins and outs of this forum. But since this post is diverting too far off topic already, perhaps let's have our discussion in private email. Drop me an email in atyclb4ever@yahoo.com and I'll give you a survival guide to this forum and help you formulate friendly posts with the correct choice of words.J

I would like to point out here, in FULL disclosure, that J's original email address was pop4ever@yahoo.com when he first joined up on Wire (something that I'm sure someone else will gladly verify). If you think his stance on POP is harsh now, it was even worse back then, so you can just imagine the irony.

I'm not going to dignify your word games about "violent language" or "thug mentality" with a longer response (God knows you've used some harsh terms for Adam in the past, like "druggie" or "stoner"), but let it suffice to say U2gurl claimed I was the one who first brought POP into this thread, when it was actually you, J. That's it.

Of course, we have a brand new ATYCLB vs. POP thread, so I'm sure we'll all wind up over there. Shouldn't we have made a New Year's Resolution about this topic?

laz

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I'm replying to your "argument" of ATYCLB being written for the radio mainstream.

Quit following me and singling my posts out.
I can call your posts whatever I choose to.

oh snap crackle and pop!

zing!

check and mate,

caisenma

Zoomerang96 said:

oh snap crackle and pop!

zing!

check and mate,

caisenma

:lol:

A truly winning reply. BTW, don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Last edited:
bathiu said:
Yeah:rolleyes: Stuck, Wild Honey, POE, Grace, New York, Elevation are so "artisticaly, influentially and emotionally" succesful:laugh:
...oh look, half of the album went down the toilet...

Hey Bath, before you eyeroll your way through your claims, how about some supporting documents. Tell us exactly why you think these songs are toilet worthy? Maybe we can get more supported/intelligent arguments in this thread. It's easy to claim; how about defending your claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom