ATYCLB back in the U.S. Top 10!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salome

you are what you is
great results, if we're not careful quality music might actually become the norm!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

And just to add a little more to the celebration - U2 is now above Creed!!!!! Which is now sitting at number 12!

Whoooo hooooo

thanks for crossposting this good news to all doctorwho

Damn that album has constantly rose up and down the charts since being released back in Oct of 2000

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

FABULOUS!!
biggrin.gif

Excellent! Thanks for the info doctorwho.

------------------
Me3

Thanks for the detailed information all the time doctorwho, Voxson, Popmartijn, STING2 and anyone who I forgot. Great news!

Like I said in the other thread.. this is fantastic news!
biggrin.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Also, wanted to mention that ATYCLB has now sold 3,602,429 copies in the U.S. (according to SoundScan). By contrast, "Pop" sold approximately 1.5 million copies in the U.S. While it might take a while, ATYCLB should reach 4x Platinum this year.

As mentioned above, all the big Grammy winners saw significant boosts on the Billboard charts. However, 7x Grammy loser, India Arie, also benefitted. Sales for her album, "Acoustic Soul," double as she charts at #14 this week (up from #32) with sales of 67,181 copies.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-06-2002).]

#10 after 70 weeks of being released.

If someone told me this would happen with this album before it came out, I'd ask to smoke whatever it was that made him/her say that.

wow....never expected this would happen to this album over a year after it was released. this band is amazing!

One more tidbit of info. for y'all.

Some of you may recall that a Jay-Z album beat U2's ATYCLB to the #1 spot in their debut weeks back in Oct. 2000.

Since that time, that Jay-Z album has long since fallen off the charts, selling about 2.3 million copies. Jay-Z released a new album, "Blueprint," which also debuted at #1. This week, the album charts at #122 - a mere 25 weeks after its release.

So while ATYCLB never hit #1 in the U.S., it appears that it will outlast TWO Jay-Z albums, both of which did reach #1. Tells ya how much having a #1 album means these days, no? Clearly, the bigger impact is in long-term success - like U2 is enjoying with ATYCLB.

For some reason I thought it was Outkast that beat them out of the #1 spot
confused.gif

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

That's awesome!

Maybe they'll mention it on that Mtv show, banging the charts. I never watch it (can't stand the VJs) but perhaps I shall this week.

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by madonna's child:
That's awesome!

Maybe they'll mention it on that Mtv show, banging the charts. I never watch it (can't stand the VJs) but perhaps I shall this week.

It's already been mentioned on VH-1 (the jump of the 3 big Grammy winners on the charts). So maybe, just maybe, MTV will mention it too.

Last week, ATYCLB was ranked #28 on the U.S. Billboard charts, with sales of 36,086 copies. The fact that AYCLB was even in the Top 40 after having been out for 69 weeks is, in itself, impressive.

This week, thanks to the Grammy wins and exposure, ATYCLB jumps to #10, with sales of 81,287 copies - more than doubling sales!

Last year, after the Grammy wins, ATYCLB saw a similar jump - to #11 with about 85,000 copies sold.

The #10 ranking this week marks only the third week ATYCLB has spent in the U.S. Top 10. It debuted at #3, slipped to #5 the following week and fell to #12 in its third week. So, 68 weeks after ATYCLB was in the Top 10, it returns! Congrats to U2!

By the way, the "O Brother..." soundtrack, which has sold better than ATYCLB and was ranked higher than ATYCLB last week, jumped all the way to #2 (up from #15), almost quadrupling sales! I wonder what would have happened to ATYCLB if it had won "Album of the Year" (like it should have). Alicia Keys, "Songs in a Minor," more than doubled in sales as her album comes in at #4 (up from #20). So all the big Grammy winners return to the U.S. Top 10, after all being in the U.S. Top 30 the week before.

Back
Top Bottom