ATYCLB - a year later...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
So now it?s about one year since the album came out and time to give it some thought.

Do you still like/dislike the ablum as you did a year ago, do you have different fav songs, do you still feel the same when you listen to ATYCLB????

To me, the album is just getting better and better. For the first 3 months after it came out, there was nothing else on my cd player than ATYCLB. I then needed to get some some distance and quit listening to it for a while, just to rediscover it again for the tour.

I must say, most of the songs I liked straight away are still my favourites. Walk on and In a little while are definately classics and will be known as some of the best u2 tunes of all times.

And there are other songs like Kite, that I did not like at all in the beginning, but now after a year or so I get into the songs. The reason for this might be that Bono dedicates this song to his father. The whole song?s contence has changed (at least to me)

Any thoughts on that??

BTW - I still don?t like Wild Honey, but i guess I have to live with that.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by AM:
So now it?s about one year since the album came out and time to give it some thought.
To me, the album is just getting better and better.

For the first 3 months after it came out, there was nothing else on my cd player than ATYCLB.

I still can't get it out of my CD player...

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

mmm, for the past month I've been listening to this album at least 4 times every week (that's more than I've ever spend listening to one artist in a month) and I agree that this album keeps growing (even though it was already in my top 3 favourite U2-albums a month after it's release)

I wouldn't change a single thing about this album even if I could

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

It's hard to believe it's been a year! As much as that beautiful album meant to me when I first heard it, it means so much more now. Many of the songs have grown on me and others have taken on special meaning. I love it MORE!!!!

------------------
Visit my U2 webpage! <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk</A> On, stay safe tonight"

Walk On and Beautiful Day have already in my top 10. ATYCLB is certainly my second favourite just below Zooropa...
smile.gif

I didn't like In a Little While, Wild Honey in the beginning. But after this whole year, I started to 'get' the song. 'Peace on Earth' means so much more after this year too.

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 10-23-2001).]

I definitely still listen to it- very hard to believe it's only been a year! Some songs you feel like you've known your entire life.

I will always have a weekness for Stuck. That was the first song I ever heard off the album, live from BBC. It just was AmaZing! Walk On is my very favorite though. After reading Achtung_Bebe's (i believe) analysis of NY i love that one too...I wasn't sure if I like BD when it first came out, I'll admit. But this past summer I couldn't get enough of it.

Adam said they had to put "Wild Honey" on the album or else people would be slitting their wrists after listening to the album! To lighten things up, I guess! But anywhere Bono sings "you turn me on" is a go in my book
smile.gif

------------------
She got soul, soul, soul, sweet soul
And she teach me how to sing

* U2TakeMeHigher *

It's amazing - every song is a masterpiece except Grace - this doesn't happen very often in albums. This is one of U2's best ever, and the songs live are amazing too. The only song I got sick for a while was Kite, and I re-discovered it. This album is amazing. Album of the year indeed, in U2's top 3
smile.gif

00387389.jpg

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

ATYCLB didn't leave my stereo until May...so
I obviously listen to it less then I did before. It has definately changed meanings for me. When it came out last year I was in a funk from a bad breakup (as in doing nothing but smoking, crying, eating, watching tv, and avoiding my friends--NO guy is worth that...I've learned).

Kite was the song that instantly blew me away
when I first listened to the album, so it's a pretty special song to me.

Beautiful Day helped me learn the error of my ways (yeah, fuck him) and helped me get out of my depression. Walk On also stuck out for me, as did In a Little While, New York, and of course, Elevation.

POE and WILATW I enjoyed, but I've become much more appreciative of them now...Stuck is a good song, but not one of my favorites.
And I still skip Grace...

------------------
Lift My Days
Light Up My Nights

At first, I didn't realize just how great it is. I didn't like POE, I didn't really get into Walk On(I know, I know...) But now, it feels like a warm fuzzy robe right out of the dryer-the comfortable one you reach for when you want to relax and not think about newer stuff and what you think of it.
smile.gif

I love it!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"you know we got a stormy kind of love..."

Loved it then, love it now.

Walk On and PoE remain my favourites, although I like elevation better after seeing it live and ialw has grown big time on me. The album has grown in stature, meaning, maturity and value over the past year - maybe because we've all grown up.

But I still don't get Wild Honey
smile.gif

The last four songs have much more relevance than they did a year ago. To me, it sounds better than it did last year....

------------------
Nate

"Ready for the shuffle
Ready for the deal
Ready to let go of the steering wheel
I'm ready
Ready for the crush"

-Zoo Station

When it first came out, I hesitated to call it a "classic" because I felt it needed some time to settle before that kind of statement could be made.

A year later I think it is safe to say that this album will be known as one of U2's best ever. Sure, it leans a bit more toward the adult contemporary/mainstream feel than they have in the past, but I don't mind that a bit. I guess they are growing up, and so am I. The nice thing is that it still has it's really rocking moments too, so it still feels new and fresh.

I remember immediately liking BD, Walk On, Elevation, New York and Kite. Songs that have really grown on me are IALW, WH, and Stuck. I still don't like Grace; it does have a cool message and some pretty thoughtful lyrics; but it just doesn't keep my interest much at all. I usually skip it, but it doesn't take away from the album at all. I would have to agree with Rolling Stone's original assessment that this album is truly U2's "third masterpiece" after JT and AB.

I like ATYCLB a lot better now than I did originally now that all the songs have had time to grow on me. I think seeing most of the songs performed live helps too. I originally didn't like New York at all, but now I love it! ATYCLB is really a great album- I still can't get into Grace, though.
smile.gif

It's incredible that they decided to dump the irony right before the terrorist attacks. Now in America they're saying irony will be dead for the next couple years, and it's uncanny how well All That You Can't Leave Behind anticipated that.

When I first got the cd last Christmas, I was dissapointed by it. I thought it had too many slow songs, and I wanted more faster paced songs like Elevation and Beautiful Day. I did like Walk On and Peace On Earth immediately, but the rest of the album I couldn't get into. I absolutely hated Stuck In A Moment.

For the next 6 months I barely listened to the album. I had just bought Achtung Baby in Nov., and was still overwhelmed by that masterpiece of an album. Then I went to see U2 in June in NJ and once I saw the songs off the new album played live, it changed a lot for me. Kite live is just so much better. And then when Stuck In A Moment got released as a single with the new football game video, I finally liked that song too, and now I can't believe that I once didn't like the song. Then with the terrorism attacks, and the heavy radio and video airplay that U2's songs were getting, the rest of the album then clicked with me. Only songs I still don't really listen to are Wild Honey and Grace. I'd say ATYCLB is my 3rd favorite U2 album, with Joshua Tree at #2 and Achtung Baby at #1.

Just recently I got hooked on the Pop album too. I got it last year and hated it, and now I really like it, but I still don't like the songs Miami and Playboy Mansion.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 10-23-2001).]

it was quite a year wasn't it? for the world, and for the band. the album still sounds as new and as fresh to me as it did when i first heard it all the way through. one year ago.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by U2girl:
hard to say: on one hand, there's the amazing trio of Stuck/Walk on/Kite, and on the other hand, there's the lovely In a little while/Wild honey duo.

How about the Stuck/Walk On/Kite/In a Little While/Wild Honey quintet?

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 10-23-2001).]

I love the fact that with this album my favorite song from it changes almost every week

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

Originally posted by baker6621:
It's amazing - every song is a masterpiece except Grace - this doesn't happen very often in albums. This is one of U2's best ever, and the songs live are amazing too. The only song I got sick for a while was Kite, and I re-discovered it. This album is amazing. Album of the year indeed, in U2's top 3
smile.gif

Well I agree with you on the ATYCLB is a great album thing, but I have to say that 'Grace' is a masterpiece. Come on "she carries a peral in perfect consition.what once was hurt/ what once was friction/ what left a mark no longer stings." It's poetry, beautiful poetry too. But yes ATYCLB is in my top three behind Achtung Baby and Zoorpa. Still love it, and I discover new things I love about it everyday. Big thanks to the boys!

00387389.jpg

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.

Love this album more than when it came out a year ago, and I didn't know if that was possible.
smile.gif

I had just gotten out of a long relationship a few months earlier (dumped like a pile of garbage more like it), and when I heard Beautiful Day ("what you don't have you don't need it now, what you don't know you can feel it somehow")it opened my eyes, made me realize that things happen for a reason, etc. And when I bought the album the day it came out and listened to it in my car I just sat back and thought, "They've done it again."
smile.gif

I always have it near me, and I can say that just yesterday I played it to and from work. I'll put it in my Top 5 of U2 albums.
biggrin.gif

------------------
She don't care what it's worth
She's living like it's the last night on earth

Proud Owner of Larry's Stick!!!

~*April*~
(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

My feelings hasn?t changed. I loved ATYCLB from the first listen. I still love it, usually listen to the whole album out loud on weekends, when I?m at home...nowadays my faves are When I Look at the World, Walk On and Grace. And in my car I use a tape of ATYCLB all the time, plus another one of the Irving Plaza performance and the older tape, which is AB.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

I still like it just as much as when it first came out but what really took it to the next level is that how the album connects with the recent events of the world like no other, its almost like God was telling Bono to write this album for this time. The album was great before it is all the better now. The songs also sound great live and this in 10 years hopefully will be considered a must have for everybodys CD collection and not just a U2 fans collection, just as the likes of Achtung Baby, and Joshua Tree. Long live U2!

"..you've got to stand up straight,
Carry your own weight,
These tears are going no where
Baaaaaaaaaaby..."
Boy did I need to hear that!! I and my boys are eternally grateful. Pain and beauty and hope, so perfectly interwoven.
Brillant album AM,it's hard to believe how much can happen in one year.
Peace musiclovers.

I love the album. It is my favorite U2 album-and it was then.

Fave songs? During the "clips" time, it was Stuck, In a little while, WILATW and Grace that stood out for me.
When i bought the album, the biggest surprise for me was Wild honey.
My favorites now? Hmmmm...hard to say: on one hand, there's the amazing trio of Stuck/Walk on/Kite, and on the other hand, there's the lovely In a little while/Wild honey duo.
As for growers-i got to like New York after a while (before the Sept 11). And somehow i just can't connect with Peace on Earth. And somehow i'm losing interest in Elevation.

------------------
"That's why i still love playing live in a rock'n'roll band. There's just this feeling of this thing could just about do anything..." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

I love to listen to Grace when I go to bed it?s like a prayer for me. When I am driving I skip it. You should all try it as the last song before you go to sleep it is so relaxing and the bass is just beautiful. A year does make a difference. Kite has always been my favorite. POE, Walk On, Elevation. I will admit that after Sept. 11 this album took on new meaning for me I am so glad that U2 made it.

When ATYCLB came out last year, I was deep into the brave new world (to me) of bluegrass, plus a Dwight Yoakam album that came out the same day. So rock was just an occasional visitor at my house; I listened a couple times a week to the new U2. I really liked it from the first -- noted particularly its GORGEOUS melodies throughout, and Bono's unaffected, intimate singing. Loved Elevation right away, with that humungous Big Beat I'm a total sucker for. And Grace *putting up hand* was, is, will always be a standout. It isn't just a "slow song," it is uncommonly tender -- Adam's bass, especially, is more like a lullabye than many singers will ever sound!
Only after I saw the April Elevation show did the CD grab me by the throat, because those songs, especially Stuck, BD (which left me a little cold on the recording), and good God, Walk On -- those songs sound so much meatier live (par for the course with our Boys, I know). I followed all the rest of the shows online, and the songs kept growing bigger with all that was going on in our world. Bono talked about Joey Ramone, and Michael Hutchence, and Third World debt and his kids and his father...and New York and Washington.

A year later -- and some year it's been, yes -- this album feels as personal as a family photo album, resonant with history, exhilaration, love and melancholy. The tour only confirmed what the CD suggested, that Bono has become a great soul singer -- making the songs onstage both sexy and righteous, in turn giving me fresh ears for the album. I get a little kick every time I hear the CD's one-two of Elevation/Walk On...the start of that unbelievable night and its mind-boggling conclusion in a little capsule. Every song now feels like a memento of a shared experience with the band, and it will always hold a special place because of that. It's up near the top of the U2 heap for me, with (but don't ask me to rank them) JT, Pop, and AB.

Wow, what a year. Thanks, boys.

Deb D

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Back
Top Bottom