ATYCLB 3x Platinum!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Very thorough U2 chart and sales information is presented each week by a variety of people in the "Where the Album Has a Name" forum. However, at times we break that rule and post some "good" chart/sales information in other forums. This is one such exception.
icon10.gif

In exactly 52 weeks since its release, ATYCLB is certified as TRIPLE PLATINUM in the U.S.!!
icon14.gif
This means that 3 million copies have been certified as being sold to U.S. stores. ATYCLB has sold approx. 2.97 million copies to U.S. consumers. In approximately two weeks, ATYCLB will have sold over 3 million copies to actual U.S. consumers (not just stores).

The 3x Platinum certification is the highest U2 has achieved since "Achtung Baby." ATYCLB has now sold twice as many copies as "POP" in the U.S. ("POP" is certified as Platinum, although it has sold approx. 1.5 million copies to consumers). "Zooropa" is certified as Double Platinum (selling approx. 2.3 million copies to consumers). The double CD version of "The Best Of" is certified as Double Platinum, but that's because both CDs were counted in the certification. The single CD version of "The Best Of" is certified as Platinum.

Both "The Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby" reached 4x Platinum status within their first years. JT has now achieved Diamond status (10x Platinum) and AB is 8x Platinum - so this bodes well for future sales of ATYCLB.

In other countries, ATYCLB is 3x Platinum in the U.K., 4x Platinum in Australia and 4x Platinum in Canada. As of last week, the album was STILL in the Top 20 in Canada!! 52 weeks after its release, ATYCLB remains nicely in the Top 60 in the U.S. Overall worldwide sales are estimated at approx. 10.3 million for the year.

Congratulations to U2 for a successful album and tour. This is sweet vindication to those of us who watched U2 take TONS of heat for "POP" and the PopMart tour.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 11-01-2001).]

Thanks good doctor, I love to read your info. A few numbers and facts are a breath of fresh air in the face of all the weirdo crap that happens around here. (I love the crap too, but it's nice not to have to decode a post...)

Originally posted by doctorwho:
What the? How did this glorious thread get to the bottom?

It got to the bottom because there's no mention of RADIOHEAD in here. When this thread becomes complete incoherent, the masses will flock to it.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
There was not enough mention of the egotastical interference, ahem, "personalities" for it to be at the top

lol, no swagger...

Those numbers just speak for themselves.

But really, doctorwho has provided all the stats U2 fans need to know...lots of good news!! Thanks for digging up the info! I appreciate it!

Awesome news! We all knew it was only a matter of time.

Now, since JT and AB went on to sell many more copies, what do you think the future holds for ATYCLB? Maybe 6X Platinum or so? That would be great in the long term.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Salome:
only 3x platinum?

Hmmm, Salome, how can I put this nicely... OK, now: Salome, GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND START BUYING THOUSANDS OF COPIES OF ATYCLB... NOW!!!
Because, although it is doing great (after 9 months it was still the 5th best selling album in the Netherlands), the album is only certified 2x platinum here.

So YOU need to do a better job.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Yeah.. Canada rocks for ATYCLB being in the top 20 a year after its release

Wow, that is great! Congrats U2!
Well, like the Elevation tour and such has affected sales of JT and AB, their next album/tour successes will affect future ATYCLB sales, so hopefully it will rock.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by SkeeK:

that's it. we deserve a 60 date, 6 month kamloops to bay of fundy tour, starting november 20th.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

Originally posted by SkeeK:

Actually Skeek, in Week 51, ATYCLB was #19 in Canada. But in Week 52, the album drops twelve spots to #31. Still, after a year, the album remains in Canada's Top 40. However, with the drop, the highest current position for ATYCLB in the world is in Ireland at #27 (in Week 52).

If you look at the charts, you'll still find the album doing pretty well all around. For example, in its 52nd week of release, ATYCLB is #27 in Ireland, #31 in Canada, #36 in Australia, #58 in the U.S., #60 in the U.K. and #65 in the Netherlands. These are outstanding chart positions for an album that has now been out for a full year!

YAY!!!! And I agree with doctorwho this need some elevation, so BUMP!!!

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Hmmm, Salome, how can I put this nicely... OK, now: Salome, GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASS AND START BUYING THOUSANDS OF COPIES OF ATYCLB... NOW!!!
Because, although it is doing great (after 9 months it was still the 5th best selling album in the Netherlands), the album is only certified 2x platinum here.
only 2x platinum?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Foxxern:
One last bump. For all those who have not shared in the glory of the success of ATYCLB.

I shared in the glory, but I just hadn't replied. *lol*

I think it's awesome...despite Salome bein' a Negative Nancy over there...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Back
Top Bottom