ATYCLB - 2 releases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurens

Babyface
After I got the iTunes from a friend, I started to understand why I never really liked All that you can't leave behind. Although it has great songs on it, I never thought of it as an integrated piece of work, like Achtung baby or Pop. With the previously unknown material available, I found an alternative tracklist that does work for me:

SOLAR (or some other catchy title)
1. Beautiful day
2. New York
3. Walk on
4. Elevation
5. When I look at the world
6. The ground beneath her feet
7. Are you gonna wait forever?
8. Flower child
9. Love you like mad
10. Always
11. Peace on earth

What I like about this tracklist is that it is more powerful and that I can listen to every song a lot of times. Now when I listen to ATYCLB, I usually skip songs like SIAMYCGOO, IALW and Wild honey, because they start to irritate me. I think that's a shame, because they are great songs themselves as well. That's why I would argue for an extra EP, maybe something in between Wide awake in America and Rattle and Hum:

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND
1. Stuck in a moment
2. Levitate
3. Wild honey
4. Smile
5. Kite
6. Summer rain
7. Grace

I think these songs fit together perfectly and are not lost or underestimated this way. I also think the title ATYCLB fits better here, looking at the tracklist and the kind of release.

I know what you're gonna say now!! Where has IALW gone??
I'm sorry, but that will never be one of my favorites. I would put it as a B-side for the Stuck in a moment single. I think those would work together greatly; I still don't understand how they could match SIAM with Big girls are best. That would be my Elevation B-side.

Last but not least: this way the fans would not have to wait 4 years for a new album!!

Last edited:
There is a REAL alternate tracklisting, and if I'm not mistaken, some programs put this order up when you loaded the CD. It may have been encoded onto the discs before they went to press with the booklets. I think it flows MUCH better, and removes the erratic sequence of BD-Stuck-Elevation-Walk On. You don't put a "fun" track like Elevation between Stuck and Walk On. It also gives WILATW a bit more prominence as the big finale before the understated coda, something found on several U2 albums. While it loads the upbeat stuff at the beginning with a mellow dip in the middle, you need it with a yawner like this album. Plus New York comes in to kick your ass halfway through.

1. BD
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. Stuck
5. Peace On Earth
6. Kite
7. New York
8. IALW
9. Wild Honey
10. WILATW
11. Grace

This was the orignal order, and was apparently changed at the last minute. According to a recent interview Edge is the one who likes a ballad in slot 2, while Bono doesn't think that's a good formula. Edge won last time, Bono won this time (Edge probably wanted Sometimes before Miracle Drug, which would have been another mistake).

laz

Eno and Lanois produced Are you gonna wait forever, so it's probably an outtake from ATYCLB.

That order doesn't flow good, lazarus.
While BD and Elevation do work well together, I always thought Walk on should have been lower on the album, (they should have spread up the Stuck-Walk on-Kite trio throughout the album, also see Sometimes-Miracle Drug-COBL trio on this album, not to mention what is Original of the species doing so low in the album?) together with Peace on Earth. Also IALW and Wild honey belong in the middle of the album.

The way ATYCLB worked best for me is

BD
Elevation
Wild honey (3 upbeat songs first)
IALW
Stuck (the soul couple)
WILATW (transition towards the guitar songs)
New York
Kite
Peace on Earth
Walk on
Grace

Last edited:
i think that the main problem with ATYCLB is the production: SYAMYCGOF the way it's produced looks like a song from a Back Street Boys' Album...that's a shame cause it's a great song: just listen to the acoustic version (walk on b-side).
Also Walk on is much better in the godrich's version (again "walk on" uk single) than in the album version.

Theese ar just 2 examples, but are enough to make me wonder how this album could have been without Brian Eno...

I'm not 100% sure if every track I mentioned above already existed in 2000 (but who is?), but I have a strong feeling that the basic ideas were there at the time. I also think it's true that some of the versions we know now are later recordings froms the HTDAAB sessions, but they could have done the job in 2000 if they had wanted to.

My perfect ATYCLB:

1) BD
2) SIAM
3) Elevation
4) Walk On
5) Kite
6) IALW
7) Wild Honey
8) Peace On Earth
9) WILATW
10) New York
11) Grace

:wink:

for the love of Pete! Please! Someone please send me these cool-ass tracks!!!!
bandontherun@gmail.com
I must be the only U2 fanatic without them
I have no idea where you' all got them but if you can tell me or send them i'd be so gratefull!!!!!!!!!!!11

lazarus said:
There is a REAL alternate tracklisting, and if I'm not mistaken, some programs put this order up when you loaded the CD. It may have been encoded onto the discs before they went to press with the booklets.
1. BD
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. Stuck
5. Peace On Earth
6. Kite
7. New York
8. IALW
9. Wild Honey
10. WILATW
11. Grace

Yeah, when I downloaded the album this was the supposed order of the tracks. I was a little surprised when I bought the CD because I was used to hearing them in a certain sequence.

Back
Top Bottom