Atyclb 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
My gut feeling tells me we're in for ATYCLB 2 with this new album. And I know "U2 don't repeat themselves". I'm not saying the album will be exactly the same style, but I'm saying it will be in the same vein as ATYCLB - pop with almost an adult-contemporary feel to it, radio-friendly songs, nothing too wild or over the top, well-received by the general public. And perhaps to many of us, somewhat boring.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong. I want a rock album.

Your thoughts?

probably will sound like "beat on the brat" but with better songwriting and production.

....whatever that means.:|

U2 tend to change things up every three studio albums, with the last change coming after Pop. So I'd venture to guess the new album will be in the same vein as ATYCLB, though I'm hoping it'll either be harder or darker.

Zoocoustic said:
My gut feeling tells me we're in for ATYCLB 2 with this new album. And I know "U2 don't repeat themselves". I'm not saying the album will be exactly the same style, but I'm saying it will be in the same vein as ATYCLB - pop with almost an adult-contemporary feel to it, radio-friendly songs, nothing too wild or over the top, well-received by the general public. And perhaps to many of us, somewhat boring.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong. I want a rock album.

Your thoughts?

How do you define "Rock"!

I don't consider ATYCLB to be a "boring" album. It is my 4th favorite U2 album and I would be delighted if U2 produced another album with quality songs like on ATYCLB. "Walk On" and "Kite" are in my top 15 U2 songs of all time.

Zooacoustic I have the same feeling and said it the other day here, this is gonna be ATYCLB part 2. They say it's heavy and mother of all songs and stuff like that but it will be a whole bunch of Elevations and Beat The Brats (horrible cover) and few Electrical Storms. I think ATYCLB part 1 is gonna be looked at as a better album than the new one. It's simple, they don't want to give up the success of Atyclb by putting out an experimental album or one that is heavy. (heavy in U2 terms means songs like MOFO)

I must say, this is an amusing thread (and not just because of Chizip!)....I'm laughing because it always throws me into fits when I see people figuring out a whole album based on about 50 seconds of music from *one* particular song that was recorded very early in the album's creation. It's even more funny this time than usual, however, because that 50 or so seconds was almost inaudable - to the point where, heavy breathing and distortion aside, you can barely make out the melody of the chorus, let alone the verse! All the elements that go into a rock song - dimension, bass, rythym layering and so forth - are practically stripped. Yet, here we are figuring out not just this song, but the entire album based on this!

Excuse me while I collect myself from the floor.

If you want to argue that the next album will be ATYCLB because it will be "in the same vein" as ATYCLB, then you would have to conced the same for several other U2 albums. As someone stated, U2 albums aren't a complete redefinition. They are always evolutions of previous albums. JT was thus in the same vein as UF, and you can even hear parts of Achtung Baby in Rattle and Hum (in songs like God II). Zooropa is also in the same vein as Achtung Baby in some ways - once again, an evolution - and Pop takes Zooropa's electronic blitz to the next level once again. I expect the next album to follow this natural course, while not repeating ATYCLB.

Another point - almost every song on ATYCLB is different in sound. As someone commented when that album came out, "It's like a 11 different U2s". So, which one of the 11 will U2 repeat on this album?

PS. Evolution Monkey - How's things?! Enjoying the Vancouver summer, Kits beach, the North Shore Mountains, Stanley Park and the Sea Wall, the parades, etc? When I return, we must hit The Cambie and have some U2 discussion (hopefully about the new single)!

Last edited:
if the album is atyclb 2 ill just download it on mp3.
and ill use 15$$ for chinese democracy.
this is the only way to tell u2 that we aint buying this shit!

I get the feeling we're in for a Zooropa like album, with splashes of Pop and War. Mix in some Joshua Tree like songs, with a Acthung Baby like production. Bono will sing, sing-speak, howl and whisper on this album. The guitars will be melodic, hard, and ringing. The rhythm section will find the groove, and the songs will be rock, adult-contemporary and pop.

All-in-all I find this the most disappointing album I've never heard. Then again I have heard what Bono, the Edge, Danny Lanois, and Steve Lillywhite have said about this album, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, I hate ATYCLB, even though it was some of the best music this band has ever done. The problem with that album is that they sold out, and were played on the radio again.

That said the wait is too long, and all of the fans U2 has ever had will disembark their ship and head over to the Mighty Hoobastank or New Found Glory boats and go for a wild ride.

Did I cover everything.....:eyebrow:

No.
They don't repeat themselves like that, I think we're in for a harder sounding album than ATYCLB (remember they said they had leftover songs from recording of that album that were rocking), possibly closer sounding to their earliest works/or the harder songs on the last album. But it will be focused on songwriting again.

I guess it depends whether ATYCLB was a transition album like UF (that ended the first 3 album period but didn't really hint at JT apart from Pride) or a start of a new period album like AB.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

PS. Evolution Monkey - How's things?! Enjoying the Vancouver summer, Kits beach, the North Shore Mountains, Stanley Park and the Sea Wall, the parades, etc? When I return, we must hit The Cambie and have some U2 discussion (hopefully about the new single)!

Hey MG are you still in the motherland ? Holy you must be as dark as my indian skin and when you come back you'll be hanging out at the temple on Sundays eating rotees and samosas. :lmao: The weather has been absolutely fantastic for the past 3 weeks, not too hot and once in awhile it gets cloudy but still over 20 degrees on those days too. My summer begins after this Saturday cause that's my last day of school at BCIT and won't start again till September. :applaud: I've only gone to the beach a couple times but the rest of the summer is gonna be beach time especially night time beach partying. What we should do when you get back is have a get together at the Cambie or wherever and have fun and celebrate Atyclb part 2 is coming out soon :wink:

Where abouts are you right now and when 'ya gett'in back ? :)

Last edited:
atyclb was not a bad album. for me it was just too polished. its the kind of music which sounds great for the first few listenings but than its charme is vanishing too fast. personally i prefer the rougher sounds (e.g. on pop: mofo, gone, miami, wudm are fantastic songs)
achtung baby and zooropa(!) were the last great u2 albums without any fillers.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Also, I hate ATYCLB, even though it was some of the best music this band has ever done. The problem with that album is that they sold out, and were played on the radio again.

Besides the fact that that makes absolutley no sense, I'd like to know how a rock band who is as big as a band outside of the Beatles can POSSIBLY "sell out". Was U2 underground when "Pop" went a measly platinum in America alone? Was U2 a huge sell out when they doubled the success of "The Unforgettable Fire" with "The Joshua Tree"?

Also, they've been played on the radio since "Boy". They never stopped being played on the radio.

shaun vox said:

by the time that comes out a pack of gum will cost $15.

you'll need more like $100.

Being successful does not constitue sell out. If anything I think U2 did the complete opppisite of selling out. U2 did some cool promo shows before ATYCLB came out to remphasis taking it back to the basics. I think their success came from playing live and getting their songs heard. AND NOT AT KMART (which was somewhat cool that they played Holy Joe).

I think this album will have a little of everything. Some tunes will sound like they belong on AB, War, or ATYCLB, but its a little mature calling this album ATYCLB. The band hasn't even really talked about the album lately except that it rocks. We can't judge a book by its cover or a 50 second clip that you can hear more wind than music.

Damn. That Edge's guitar on U2place.com, although it is just classic guitar playing, definitely DOES NOT sound like ATYCLB. I just want the album to be like that. And I hope that it is really The Edge. You know, just when he starts being on fire and when the real guitar playing starts, the track ends. I HATE THAT!!!

:rant: Man, this is all complete utter bollocks! A sure sign of the natives being restless!

Let's rip a part another album today shall we? Any suggestions?

If you can tell what the sound of the new album will be like from poor quality 53 second clip and can call it ATYCLB 2 from that, your so very intuitive. I wish I had that capability. :h

<sorry for the rant > but wtf?

For the record I don't agree with everything U2 do and I don't think everything they've done is marvolous but they sure know how to play live and those so called crappy tunes from ATYCLB sound great live! IMHO :wave:

They said that there were what? Three rocks songs on the new album? Three songs of which nobody has heard. How can you judge anything?

Originally posted by shaun vox

by the time that comes out a pack of gum will cost $15.

you'll need more like $100.

:lmao: Yes, you & a FEW other people will send them a message! Instead of selling 300,000 copies in the 1st week, they'll sell 299,995 thanks to you!

Seriously, I agree with the post that this will be a natural evolution from the last album. It has been 4 years since the last one! They aren't AC/DC. Another thing about U2, they haven't been a typical "rock" band since JT or UF in my opinion in terms of the typical 8-9 ROCK songs and a couple of slow songs. Many of the songs on each album after WAR are slow or midtempo, not traditional rock songs. I would say U2's first 3 albums are rock albums but that's it.

Last edited:
Why anyone wants to argue over an album we haven't heard yet save for 53 secs of some random song and random quotes from Bono - I'll never know.

The truth is, this is all futile until we actually hear an entire fully produced song. So if you guys want to keep at it and argue about nothing with each other, be my guest. But you might want to just relax and wait with the rest of us, or go bowling and see a movie or something.

i concur with HelloAngel.

in my head, these imaginary songs sound pretty good!

I'm telling you, it's the blue crack in here that is making everyone mental. anyone in this forum who is judging the album based on 53 seonds (including the "wind" instruments) is a looney bird. I'm with you angel, sit back and relax. we have a little ways to go still. And even if it is ATYCLB part Deux, it'll still be better than 99.9% of what's out there.

shaun vox said:

Dude is CD ever going to come out.

Back
Top Bottom