Atyclb 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Atyclb 2

My gut feeling tells me we're in for ATYCLB 2 with this new album. And I know "U2 don't repeat themselves". I'm not saying the album will be exactly the same style, but I'm saying it will be in the same vein as ATYCLB - pop with almost an adult-contemporary feel to it, radio-friendly songs, nothing too wild or over the top, well-received by the general public. And perhaps to many of us, somewhat boring.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong. I want a rock album.

Your thoughts?

Old 07-08-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:09 AM
although atyclb was deffinetly a "safe" album, i've never found it boring. good music is good music, no matter what so called genre it falls into.

Old 07-08-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:09 AM
what headache said
Old 07-08-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 AM
what zoocoustic said
Old 07-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

probably will sound like "beat on the brat" but with better songwriting and production.

....whatever that means.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:19 PM   #6
Refugee

U2 tend to change things up every three studio albums, with the last change coming after Pop. So I'd venture to guess the new album will be in the same vein as ATYCLB, though I'm hoping it'll either be harder or darker.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:52 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Atyclb 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocoustic
My gut feeling tells me we're in for ATYCLB 2 with this new album. And I know "U2 don't repeat themselves". I'm not saying the album will be exactly the same style, but I'm saying it will be in the same vein as ATYCLB - pop with almost an adult-contemporary feel to it, radio-friendly songs, nothing too wild or over the top, well-received by the general public. And perhaps to many of us, somewhat boring.

All that said, I hope I'm wrong. I want a rock album.

Your thoughts?
How do you define "Rock"!

I don't consider ATYCLB to be a "boring" album. It is my 4th favorite U2 album and I would be delighted if U2 produced another album with quality songs like on ATYCLB. "Walk On" and "Kite" are in my top 15 U2 songs of all time.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:14 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

what sting2 said
Old 07-09-2004, 12:48 AM   #9
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Zooacoustic I have the same feeling and said it the other day here, this is gonna be ATYCLB part 2. They say it's heavy and mother of all songs and stuff like that but it will be a whole bunch of Elevations and Beat The Brats (horrible cover) and few Electrical Storms. I think ATYCLB part 1 is gonna be looked at as a better album than the new one. It's simple, they don't want to give up the success of Atyclb by putting out an experimental album or one that is heavy. (heavy in U2 terms means songs like MOFO)
Old 07-09-2004, 01:13 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I must say, this is an amusing thread (and not just because of Chizip!)....I'm laughing because it always throws me into fits when I see people figuring out a whole album based on about 50 seconds of music from *one* particular song that was recorded very early in the album's creation. It's even more funny this time than usual, however, because that 50 or so seconds was almost inaudable - to the point where, heavy breathing and distortion aside, you can barely make out the melody of the chorus, let alone the verse! All the elements that go into a rock song - dimension, bass, rythym layering and so forth - are practically stripped. Yet, here we are figuring out not just this song, but the entire album based on this!

Excuse me while I collect myself from the floor.

If you want to argue that the next album will be ATYCLB because it will be "in the same vein" as ATYCLB, then you would have to conced the same for several other U2 albums. As someone stated, U2 albums aren't a complete redefinition. They are always evolutions of previous albums. JT was thus in the same vein as UF, and you can even hear parts of Achtung Baby in Rattle and Hum (in songs like God II). Zooropa is also in the same vein as Achtung Baby in some ways - once again, an evolution - and Pop takes Zooropa's electronic blitz to the next level once again. I expect the next album to follow this natural course, while not repeating ATYCLB.

Another point - almost every song on ATYCLB is different in sound. As someone commented when that album came out, "It's like a 11 different U2s". So, which one of the 11 will U2 repeat on this album?

PS. Evolution Monkey - How's things?! Enjoying the Vancouver summer, Kits beach, the North Shore Mountains, Stanley Park and the Sea Wall, the parades, etc? When I return, we must hit The Cambie and have some U2 discussion (hopefully about the new single)!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:26 AM   #11
New Yorker

if the album is atyclb 2 ill just download it on mp3.
and ill use 15$$ for chinese democracy.
this is the only way to tell u2 that we aint buying this shit!
Old 07-09-2004, 02:03 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I get the feeling we're in for a Zooropa like album, with splashes of Pop and War. Mix in some Joshua Tree like songs, with a Acthung Baby like production. Bono will sing, sing-speak, howl and whisper on this album. The guitars will be melodic, hard, and ringing. The rhythm section will find the groove, and the songs will be rock, adult-contemporary and pop.

All-in-all I find this the most disappointing album I've never heard. Then again I have heard what Bono, the Edge, Danny Lanois, and Steve Lillywhite have said about this album, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, I hate ATYCLB, even though it was some of the best music this band has ever done. The problem with that album is that they sold out, and were played on the radio again.

That said the wait is too long, and all of the fans U2 has ever had will disembark their ship and head over to the Mighty Hoobastank or New Found Glory boats and go for a wild ride.

Did I cover everything.....
Old 07-09-2004, 02:47 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:09 PM
No.
They don't repeat themselves like that, I think we're in for a harder sounding album than ATYCLB (remember they said they had leftover songs from recording of that album that were rocking), possibly closer sounding to their earliest works/or the harder songs on the last album. But it will be focused on songwriting again.

I guess it depends whether ATYCLB was a transition album like UF (that ended the first 3 album period but didn't really hint at JT apart from Pride) or a start of a new period album like AB.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:58 AM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

PS. Evolution Monkey - How's things?! Enjoying the Vancouver summer, Kits beach, the North Shore Mountains, Stanley Park and the Sea Wall, the parades, etc? When I return, we must hit The Cambie and have some U2 discussion (hopefully about the new single)!
Hey MG are you still in the motherland ? Holy you must be as dark as my indian skin and when you come back you'll be hanging out at the temple on Sundays eating rotees and samosas. The weather has been absolutely fantastic for the past 3 weeks, not too hot and once in awhile it gets cloudy but still over 20 degrees on those days too. My summer begins after this Saturday cause that's my last day of school at BCIT and won't start again till September. I've only gone to the beach a couple times but the rest of the summer is gonna be beach time especially night time beach partying. What we should do when you get back is have a get together at the Cambie or wherever and have fun and celebrate Atyclb part 2 is coming out soon

Where abouts are you right now and when 'ya gett'in back ?
Old 07-09-2004, 03:05 AM   #15
New Yorker

its hard to make a good rock album and you need good no great musicians to do that. i think u2 are finding it hard after AB.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:15 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:09 PM
atyclb was not a bad album. for me it was just too polished. its the kind of music which sounds great for the first few listenings but than its charme is vanishing too fast. personally i prefer the rougher sounds (e.g. on pop: mofo, gone, miami, wudm are fantastic songs)
achtung baby and zooropa(!) were the last great u2 albums without any fillers.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:14 AM   #17
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
Also, I hate ATYCLB, even though it was some of the best music this band has ever done. The problem with that album is that they sold out, and were played on the radio again.
Besides the fact that that makes absolutley no sense, I'd like to know how a rock band who is as big as a band outside of the Beatles can POSSIBLY "sell out". Was U2 underground when "Pop" went a measly platinum in America alone? Was U2 a huge sell out when they doubled the success of "The Unforgettable Fire" with "The Joshua Tree"?

Also, they've been played on the radio since "Boy". They never stopped being played on the radio.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
if the album is atyclb 2 ill just download it on mp3.
and ill use 15$$ for chinese democracy.
this is the only way to tell u2 that we aint buying this shit!

by the time that comes out a pack of gum will cost $15.

you'll need more like $100.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:31 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Being successful does not constitue sell out. If anything I think U2 did the complete opppisite of selling out. U2 did some cool promo shows before ATYCLB came out to remphasis taking it back to the basics. I think their success came from playing live and getting their songs heard. AND NOT AT KMART (which was somewhat cool that they played Holy Joe).

I think this album will have a little of everything. Some tunes will sound like they belong on AB, War, or ATYCLB, but its a little mature calling this album ATYCLB. The band hasn't even really talked about the album lately except that it rocks. We can't judge a book by its cover or a 50 second clip that you can hear more wind than music.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:38 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Damn. That Edge's guitar on U2place.com, although it is just classic guitar playing, definitely DOES NOT sound like ATYCLB. I just want the album to be like that. And I hope that it is really The Edge. You know, just when he starts being on fire and when the real guitar playing starts, the track ends. I HATE THAT!!!